Apocalypse Music

BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
File Under: Bargain Bin Miracle (of the Divine Order); Breakbeat Smokescreen; Xian-Funded Terrorism Scalawagism; or just plain Weird Record That Sucks.Liner notes are elusive at best, but here's what I gather:1. Hatchett was part of the Dead Faethers [sic] Club, which had some vedantic leanings, which is why, I suppose, the majority of the notes are Sanskrit. (The first wtf?)2. "Our Shining Path of Righteousness" is, at best, a mediocre song, even though it has a decent break, and the band claims it was their "hit" in Sycamore (home town?).--this is where it gets interesting--3. With 90% of the liner notes dedicated to their "Principles," the Destroy America Instruction Series is intriguing, but I can't make out what, exactly, they are about. Here's the crux of it:It goes without saying that on the poetic and artistic planes Apocalypse Music rejects the equally reactionary concepts of 'music for music's sake' and 'Christian Realism', both of which have as their principal effect the shackling and strangling of human expression: the former in favour of abstractions, the latter in the service of priestly expediency. Although its lyric and music alone are enough to situate Apocalypse Music among the most vital revelatory currents of this century, it would be an error to presume that Apocalypse Music is concerned primarily with music or literature. Indeed, when a theological litt??rateur tried to lure the Apocalypse Music with the promise of an 'fame', Hatchett responded decisively. 'What does this fame matter to us?' he damnded. 'Long live the sound of Shining Righteousness, and it alone!' Apocalypse Music can be deemed as far beyond the categories of music and literature as the historical materialism of Dylan and Lennon can be deemed beyond sociology and philosophy, and for much the same reasons.Dudes!?! This would be good if it weren't so fucking bad.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

It goes without saying that on the poetic and artistic planes Apocalypse Music rejects the equally reactionary concepts of 'music for music's sake' and 'Christian Realism', both of which have as their principal effect the shackling and strangling of human expression: the former in favour of abstractions, the latter in the service of priestly expediency. Although its lyric and music alone are enough to situate Apocalypse Music among the most vital revelatory currents of this century, it would be an error to presume that Apocalypse Music is concerned primarily with music or literature. Indeed, when a theological litt??rateur tried to lure the Apocalypse Music with the promise of an 'fame', Hatchett responded decisively. 'What does this fame matter to us?' he damnded. 'Long live the sound of Shining Righteousness, and it alone!' Apocalypse Music can be deemed as far beyond the categories of music and literature as the historical materialism of Dylan and Lennon can be deemed beyond sociology and philosophy, and for much the same reasons.

Dudes!?! This would be good if it weren't so fucking bad.

Wow. The music's got to be absolutely awful to offset that incredible display of religio-intellectual wankery. I wonder if they play Bar Mitzvahs?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

this simply is a paradox.

• Even though you said this record sucks...

I have to have it.

Wanna sell it?

Peace...
    FNM

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    where's the FAKE FIND ALERT graemlin when you need it?