Margarita Recipes/Tequillas?

2»

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    $28.00 will buy you the best bottle of Tequila you've ever tasted, guaranteed.... $42.00 for the even finer "Anejo"

http://www.cazadores.com/

I checked the site out, and here's a quote from their section on how they make their tequilla...

Cazadores employs a slow fermentation process that includes the use of classical music and a peaceful ambience.[/b] This process ensures the continuity and proper development of the fermentation. Yeast, a living microorganism that causes fermentation, works best under these conditions.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The bartenders here will appreicate this story.....

I was working in a Rock club in Queens, N.Y. called Beggar's Opera and it tended to have a younger crowd.

Dude orders a Bloody Mary and complains that it's "too weak".

I add another shot of vodka to his glass and after a sip he says "still too damn weak, can't you make a "REAL" drink".

I take his glass, set it below the bar so he can't see and add a 1/2 a shot of Tabasco.

Dude takes a swig and proclaims "That's more like it"!!!!!

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    There are some cocktails where the taste of a premium liquor can come through, but there are a lot where it can't. I have made plenty of top-shelf long islands. Can you honestly tell me that this isn't a waste of money? JustAlice is correct, when you are making a cocktail where the mixer has strong flavors there is no point in using more than midrange liquor. No reason except for conspicuous consumerism that is.

• Yeah I guess if your talking about long islands or some shit I can see the point in keeping it cheap but, I generally think of drinks like that for the people who dont really enjoy the taste of good liquor anyway...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Hey Alice,

Im a bartender too, and i wanted to know if you have ever had Pearl Vodka. We no longer get it and I was wondering if you had it in your neck of the woods.

Hey Elise, Whats Shaken?

I havent tried that Pearl... it looks good though. I wonder how a coconut vodka would taste and smell, the pom looks nice too. Oregon makes a couple good vodkas Crater Lake is nice also New Deal is pretty hot right now.

If you havent tried Ciroc you should, its made from grapes and is quite tasty.

I like it a lot.

Word up.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Margaritas -

Little late for original poster who I assume has already made them now..
    BUT for the record

Try adding beer to your margarita recipe... I found this on the internet and tried it and it makes them a lot better.. they will be a bit smoother because they will be less acidic and they taste slightly carbonated. You won't taste any beer flavor at all.. use something basic like shiner or corona (not a fancy beer obviously).

It seems like for taste, you can't really go wrong with Cuervo. It may be the budweiser of tequilas but margaritas where I come from (Texas) were never meant to be fancy.. just tasty and powerfully alcoholic. I can see where you are coming from on not using a top shelf tequila.. after one strong margarita you probably aren't tasting much of anything after that so it becomes a waste of money. Hang over concerns might be valid in using a cheaper tequila over a top shelf one.. but really if you were concerned with hang overs should you be down margaritas in the first place?! I also have better results with the cheap-o frozen limeade over any kind of frozen stuff that says 'margarita' on it.

This is pretty much what I've been using and everyone likes it:

http://www.ozols.com/margarit.htm

Vodkas - interesting reading if you google vodka brita filter - some dudes found they could filter bottom shelf vodka with a brita filter and have it come out in a blind taste test as good as top shelf vodka.