Zeppelin VS. Sabbath

2»

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    alright now; 12.20.70 Black Sabbath

Faries Wear Boots
    eat shit robert plant

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    There was no heavy metal before Sabbath.

Saying that, I too love both bands.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Bill Ward or John Bonham.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Bonham had it all over Ward.

I'm voting zep here, mainly because i don't think you can fault anything in their catalogue; whereas sabbath had a few misses.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Zep > Sab

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Black Zeppelin or Led Sabbath...it's all the same to me.

• definitely Zeppelin. people hate on Plant, but Ozzy could be damn annoying in his own right

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Two very different bands. IMO Black Sabbath

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    To me this is almost an apples and oranges thing. I like each band for different reasons. Ozzy was singing about Satan in what, 1969? Amidst all the flowers and such? War Pigs? Nobody can play that game better than Sabbath. But Zeppelin was another thing ... combining blues and folk to form the ultimate hard rock band. God, rent that 5 hour live Zep DVD set if you haven't seen it. The early footage (when Plant and Bonham were 18 or so) is ridiculous.

If I had to choose one I guess I'd say Zeppelin because each player was just soooo badass. I remember reading about some contest (maybe Rolling Stone or whatever) where readers were asked to choose the best singer, best guitar player, best bass player and best drummer from rock history. They'd tally up the results to form the ultimate fantasy rock band (ya know, Hendrix with Bonham, etc.) Well, all four members of Led Zeppelin won in their categories.

And, when Bonham died they quit. Led Zeppelin was always the same four guys. Can't be said about Sabbath.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    while we're at it, please school me on how Zeppelin (ripped off) Black American music.

They retitled Willie Dixon's "You Need Love" (recorded by Muddy Waters) as "Whole Lotta Love" and failed to give him writer's credit. Dixon had to take 'em to court to get his back monies.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Zeppelin is kinda boring to me. They can sound great in a three-minute pop song context, like if a song I haven't heard in awhile comes on the radio, but the idea of wading through their catalog or even a whole album in one sitting is just not interesting to me. Sabbath, on the other hand, gets regular rotation, and still when a song comes on the radio- ANY song- it's a drop everything and listen intently for the next ___ minutes moment. They just grab me like that.

while we're at it, please school me on how Zeppelin (ripped off) Black American music.

They retitled Willie Dixon's "You Need Love" (recorded by Muddy Waters) as "Whole Lotta Love" and failed to give him writer's credit. Dixon had to take 'em to court to get his back monies.

One of the best Simpson lines ... when they're in London and, I think, Homer is on the ferris wheel, "Hey, look. It's Jimmy Page. Biggest thief of American Black music ever."

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Oh yeah- and, as a fan of Sabbath, I should add that I don't think they were all that innovative either. They were kind of like the logical culmination or most complete realization of what many of their contemporaries were going for. The point to me is that they were just SO FUCKING GOOD.

Zeppelin is kinda boring to me. They can sound great in a three-minute pop song context, like if a song I haven't heard in awhile comes on the radio, but the idea of wading through their catalog or even a whole album in one sitting is just not interesting to me. Sabbath, on the other hand, gets regular rotation, and still when a song comes on the radio- ANY song- it's a drop everything and listen intently for the next ___ minutes moment. They just grab me like that.

I suppose that happens to me too. I'm not bored of Zeppelin, but Sabbath tunes do get more of my attention if they come on the radio.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    when i was a kid back in the day, it was the stupid meatheads that liked zeplin, but the true fuck ups - the ones that did the really crazy shit and just didnt care - they were all sabbath heads.

i take my cue from them.

when i was a kid back in the day, it was the stupid meatheads that liked zeplin, but the true fuck ups - the ones that did the really crazy shit and just didnt care - they were all sabbath heads.

i take my cue from them.

True ... my Camaro driving older brother and his switchblade ownin', demolition derby participatin' friends were all Sabbath people. They liked Zep, but they were Sabbath people.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I gonna give a slight edge to Zep, they could do heavy stuff almost as well as Sabbath, but Sabbath trying to play subtle doesn't really work for me (other than "Planet Caravan"). Also Bonham > Ward, and JPJ over Geezer Butler by a landslide.

• when i was a kid back in the day, it was the stupid meatheads that liked zeplin, but the true fuck ups - the ones that did the really crazy shit and just didnt care - they were all sabbath heads.

i take my cue from them.

That's not a stereotype or anything...

I have a hard time believing you were ever down with the vocational kids.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Zep > Sab

• Zep growing up, but I find myself listening to Sabbath more now.

But if I had to pick one, its Zep.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Zep growing up, but I find myself listening to Sabbath more now.

But if I had to pick one, its Zep.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

i take my cue from them.

the vocational kids were the stupid meatheads. The sabbath kids were the ones that broke into the school and set things on fire and stuff like that.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

i take my cue from them.

the vocational kids were the stupid meatheads. The sabbath kids were the ones that broke into the school and set things on fire and stuff like that.

and meanwhile you were rolling with the debate team so these distinctions are sort of meaningless, dontcha think?.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    They did a couple blues covers

and were sued by Willie Dixon and lost for copyright infringement for more than a few songs including whole Lotta Love

SABBATH!!!!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm late to this thread, but... it depends. The first FIVE Led Zeppelin albums are classics, just play the first song on Side One for each one and you're set.

Black Sabbath is a different vibe altogether, and I give them the first three albums and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath[/b] (I never got into Vol. 4[/b] that much, but it has been years since I played it). When Led Zeppelin folded, Black Sabbath continued with Dio and those albums are great too. I also like Born Again[/b], and I even give them credit for The Eternal Idol[/b]. Their return with Dio, what was it called, Dehumanizer[/b]? That was really good too. Led Zeppelin are locked in time, while Black Sabbath have recorded for four decades, so there are unfortunately those low points when they became "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi", those albums for IRS, and those low points should never have existed. Then again, a lot of Jimmy Page's solo albums shouldn't exist, or that project with David Coverdale, but that's besides the point.

On that basis alone, I give it to Led Zeppelin. Black Sabbath are Black Sabbath, and at their best they were the monarchs of metal. YES!!!