Ray Conniff

oripsorips 238 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
What would be Ray Conniff's best soulless cover song? I would say either "Theme from S.W.A.T", "Theme from Shaft", "Love's Theme" or "Lowdown".In a related note, rep your favourite soulless cover song you are feeling by any artist (Percy Faith, Lester Lanin, Andre Kostelanetz, etc). Serious replies only. I need some

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Cissy Strut" by Al Capps (Columbia). Don't know if this is on an album, my copy is on a 45. Capps arranged (and produced?) several schlocky easy-listening records from the late sixties and early seventies.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    favourite soulless cover song

Aretha Franklin's cover of "What A Fool Believes." Aretha is bedrock, and she sounds great here, but she seems to miss entirely the point (read: the soul) of the song.

• His version of "A Horse With No Name" is quite good. Wch means, of course, that it's better than the original.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    favourite soulless cover song

Aretha Franklin's cover of "What A Fool Believes." Aretha is bedrock, and she sounds great here, but she seems to miss entirely the point (read: the soul) of the song.

Not sure I know the song, what lp is it on? If I worked on it I think I could think of some other songs where Aretha just misses... But I was just listening to some Columbia sides and thinking this is so much better than I remember.

As for EZ records with soulless cover version, I don't know, I tend to like that stuff. I mean I think Enoch Light is soulful. I like the Zacharias cover of Man's World and 101 Strings version of Living For The City.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    charlie byrd has an album with great covers of time of the season, wichita lineman, youve made me so very happy, while my guitar gently weeps, and a couple other tracks. surprisingly decent.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i just handed several of his records back to the charity shops today. i kept the one with "low down" it was a close call though as it was border line.

• please post ray coniff versions of lowdown!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Tony Mottola "Spinning Wheel" -
    Enoch Light "Hot Pants"

charlie byrd has an album with great covers of time of the season, wichita lineman, youve made me so very happy, while my guitar gently weeps, and a couple other tracks. surprisingly decent.

What, no "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" or "Little Green Apples?"

What, no "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" or "Little Green Apples?"

they probably are.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I just got this erecord the other day...pick a song it would fit...

toss up between california soul & son of a preacher...

• Doc Severinsen's version of Soul Makossa.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Ray Conniff brings some dopeness on him in the cartoon drawing riding a bicycle with kids on his back or something. Orange colored.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    If I were trying to get laid using only a mix of Salvation Army commons, I would probably start it with Percy Faith's swanky interpretation of "Black Magic Woman". Hypothetically speaking of course..

Now does this man look[/b] like somebody you'd associate with soul?

(I think there's another Soulful Brass album where he's grown a Paul Mauriat handlebar moustache, though...)

(Speaking of which, anybody here heard The Soul Of Paul Mauriat, where the "Love Is Blue" guy gets in the groove with an album of then-current R&B tunes? Or that Hugo Montenegro elpee where he's doing all Stevie Wonder covers?)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    (Speaking of which, anybody here heard The Soul Of Paul Mauriat, where the "Love Is Blue" guy gets in the groove with an album of then-current R&B tunes? Or that Hugo Montenegro elpee where he's doing all Stevie Wonder covers?)

HOT SCHITT

reminds me, i gotta see if i can get my ez listening MPfree game on lock via soulseek

Or that Hugo Montenegro elpee where he's doing all Elton John covers?

or Mammy Blue...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Steve Alan famously spent the 60s bad mouthing rock music in general and the Beatles specifically. I saw an interview in the 80s where he said Ellington wasn't genius, something along the lines of Duke had 2 or 3 good songs. So I've gotta hear him play Games People Play.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Or that Hugo Montenegro elpee where he's doing all Neil Diamond Covers?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    If I were trying to get laid using only a mix of Salvation Army commons, I would probably start it with Percy Faith's swanky interpretation of "Black Magic Woman". Hypothetically speaking of course..

Not a very good version indeed but the man makes up for it with a more than decent take on Enter the Dragon on Corazon.