Is "Babel" one of the worst movies ever?

13»

Comments

• Why would writers for thousands of years continue to use this structure if it wasn't the best way?

because people depend on escapism to cope with life which doesn't always have clear resolutions.

How platitudinal...

Good night, all.

At least this hasn't turned into a race thread...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    when fatal attraction was test screened to audiences, they booed and hissed because the awful glenn close character didn't get her "good drama" comeuppance. so they re-worked the ending where not only did she get it, they really killed her in the most over the top and satisfyingly resolute way imaginable. such a great story

you know what else is a good drama?
    die hard.

Those films would not have grossed millions of dollars worldwide if they did not employ the best narrative structure.

Why is this difficult to understand?

Also, Bruce Willis's wanton gunplay = best way of dealing with your enemies.

So it has been for thousands of years.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Why would writers for thousands of years continue to use this structure if it wasn't the best way?

because people depend on escapism to cope with life which doesn't always have clear resolutions.

How platitudinal...

haha, you're hilariously smug. it's a no-brainer and yeah, it's weird for me to even have to bring it up to you....teach

they really killed her

HELLO? SPOILERS?!

i'm sorry. i thought everyone dashed to the theater immediately whenever a michael douglas movie came out.

i just remembered that i watched terminator 3 on tv recently. i felt kinda iffy about the story for most of the duration, and was frustrated with all these innocent people tragically being brutalized . but then when my governor smashed the bitchy lady terminator's head into the mens room urinal, it was harmony and i really felt that the story redeemed itself and was able to acknowledge it as one of the most important dramatic stories of my generation

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'm sorry. i thought everyone dashed to the theater immediately whenever a michael douglas movie came out.

is to be sold, not told.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    MikeSeaversNikes posts in this thread are
    "proper endings,"
    the best way of for musical composition....
    the whole post ending "one is clearly prefered over the other"

dude's a teacher....
    someone needs to tell him that music and art have infinite posiblilities. People might expect a certain outcome for both but why play along with this. This goes against the entire 19th and 20th centery of music/art/film/etc.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    MikeSeaversNikes posts in this thread are
    "proper endings,"
    the best way of for musical composition....
    the whole post ending "one is clearly prefered over the other"

dude's a teacher....
    someone needs to tell him that music and art have infinite posiblilities. People might expect a certain outcome for both but why play along with this. This goes against the entire 19th and 20th centery of music/art/film/etc.

I'm not really sure why he thinks films need proper endings, unless he's unable to think for himself. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume films like CACHE went over his head also. I'm not even a fan of Babel, but to say all stories must have proper endings is as retarded to me as saying all women need to be in the kitchen. It's ignorant and shallow minded, and if he really is a teacher I feel sorry for the lemmings that are being created from his lessons. I'm sure the kids he teaches appreciate the 'template' lifestyle in which he'd like them to become accustomed.

• You guys are getting very personal here and I'm asking you to lay off on what you perceive to be my teaching style. Have you ever been in my classroom?

I mentioned my profession not as a way of saying these are the views I espouse in class. I don't. You guys are right to assume that it would be irresponsible for me to go off and lecture students on the "right things." There are countless things I think are right or the best or what people must know. I don't cram these things down people's throats. That's not learning.

I mentioned my profession because I study these things for a living. I don't need people to tell me about dramatic theory, especially someone who's not in it for a living (I apologize if you are, Kitchenknight).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You guys are getting very personal here and I'm asking you to lay off on what you perceive to be my teaching style. Have you ever been in my classroom?

Why yes, I have.

I disguised myself as a fifteen year old and snuck into your classroom.

From my position in the back of the room, raining spitballs down upon your desk and hollering at cheerleaders, I witnessed a display of quiver-lipped teaching incompetence that I would scarce have imagined possible.

What now, son?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I don't need people to tell me about dramatic theory,

I beg to differ.

• You guys are getting very personal here and I'm asking you to lay off on what you perceive to be my teaching style. Have you ever been in my classroom?

Why yes, I have.

I disguised myself as a fifteen year old and snuck into your classroom.

From my position in the back of the room, raining spitballs down upon your desk and hollering at cheerleaders, I witnessed a display of quiver-lipped teaching incompetence that I would scarce have imagined possible.

What now, son?

Yeah that just happened???

SHOOK!