Timmy Digalots on Craigslist

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
so i responded to an add about 600 records for sale for $200 the lot[/b]. the guy selling the records said they were in excellent condition and that they were mostly mid 70's- early 80's major label[/b] soul/disco type stuff. he was asking 2 bucks a record or 1 dollar each if 50 or more were bought and that he wanted to sell it all or in chunks eg 30 minimum[/b]. i said cool first I have to drop off some Yoga equipment in the city for my girlfriend[/b] and went over to check them out. i figured most would be crap but i was hoping to find a few things i could use flip.i show up wearing the most herbacios tweed flatcap[/b] and make bumpkin smalltalk about are these loft apartments because I used to live in Boston and they have loft apartments there too[/b] all the records are in crates out in the hallway because otherwise I might have seen the real records[/b]. he again tells me that everything is two bucks a pop and that he'll discount if when i buy bulk. i say "cool" and he goes into his apartment and shuts the door because I look like a hipster nerd who couldn't start shit if I tried[/b]. i start digging and instantly know that this collection leftovers from a storage unit clearance[/b] was a waste of time coming out to look at. tons of common ass major label[/b] disco and late 70's jazz funk. mixed in with the crap major label[/b] soul/disco type stuff are some decent titles digging 101 records that I always grab on sight[/b]... donald byrd- places and spaces, roy ayers- vibrations, cecil holmes- the blaxploitation lp etc, but nothing exceptional or that rare that I could trade to Good Records[/b]. i ended up with a pile of about 10 records that i was willing to buy (5 of the 10 i didn't even want but i felt bad only buying $10 worth of records). i would have bought a bunch more stuff ( every al green record... etc.) but most of the Al Green[/b] records turned out to be in lousy condition.dude comes back out into the hall and i tell him i'm sorry but i could only find a few things i could use due to the fact that the records were in less then optimum condition and I'm a collectro... radio station dj.... used to work in a record shop blah blah blah[/b]. he looks a little irritated like he's trying to keep his eyes from rolling or maybe they just glazed over from the game I was spittin[/b] and he says "$25!" probably because he knows I'm just looking to flip these for mad heat yo[/b]. now i'm like "what?" he says it again "25!" i respond with " dude... you said they were 2 bucks a pop, that would make this pile $20." (keep in mind i only really want 5 of the records anyway). WTF??? so i tell him that i'm sorry i couldn't use more and that i appreciate him letting me go through his records he tells me, thanks but no thanks because he probably had no plans to let me walk out with only 10 records when he was looking to dump the lot,[/b] and says " well you know these are the best titles!" since if I walk out with these 10 records then he's still got 8 crates to somehow get rid of[/b]. i say "yeah i guess?" i imaginarily[/b] turned to him and tersely said " sorry man! no thanks." he then went off briefly made polite bullshit[/b] about how craigslist is a hassle and how nobody responded to his add and how people must not really want records anymore. HUH??? excuse me? i'm here right? ???[/b]so i told the guy to have a stoop sale, wished him goodluck. now i know what some of you are thinking... " dude- it was only an extra 5 bucks! if I really needed Places and Spaces or tired ass King Curtis best ofs as a collectro I would drop $25 on 10 records in a second[/b] " but that is exactly the point. it is the principal of it. I am a baller, I don't pay $5 over price on 10 records[/b] dude said 2 bucks a pop as long as I buy a lot eg 30 minimum[/b] sooooooo the records are two bucks a pop. as long as I don't cherry pick 10 records after saying you wanted to buy bulk but showing up with the small record/messenger bag and try to drop knowledge on him about rarity, condition, radio station djing and being a collectro[/b] nothing worse than a guy getting cold feet about doing business than having some ex-record store guy enlighten him about rarity, condition and value but not help him get rid of 8 crates of major label 76-83 soul, jazz and disco[/b]. i'd rather waste my night then give that shit head an extra 5 bucks. an extra couple of square feet of floor space.i'm happy too 'cuz i took that 5 bucks, went to the bar and bought a six point ale with it. fuck that guy! Then I posted my HIP HOP version of it on soulstrut and got a few yougogirls.[/b]Dude you are a non threatening american college boy type who got a bad lead, that's all. You misread a Craiglist post that said 600 Major label soul/disco records as meaning "potential crazy raer I can get for pennies". Don't act like this was some aspect of your hustle like YOU IS BADASS OR SOMETHING!!! I had to play dumber than you, one day you'll understand.[/b]Yeah that just happened.

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I hate when that happens...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

It's a small world indeed.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

It's a small world indeed.

Did it really happen like that?? cause if so, that is incredible. In fact if it really went down like that,then this is the best thread EVER on SS.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah that just happened.

Holy Shit!!!!

This is definitely the highest comedy evar!

... so, those Meters and K&tG records were reissues, right

I wish I were at home so I could find my "super-sonned" graemlin!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    so i responded to an add about 600 records for sale for $200 the lot[/b]. the guy selling the records said they were in excellent condition and that they were mostly mid 70's- early 80's major label[/b] soul/disco type stuff. he was asking 2 bucks a record or 1 dollar each if 50 or more were bought and that he wanted to sell it all or in chunks eg 30 minimum[/b]. i said cool first I have to drop off some Yoga equipment in the city for my girlfriend[/b] and went over to check them out. i figured most would be crap but i was hoping to find a few things i could use flip.

i show up wearing the most herbacios tweed flatcap[/b] and make bumpkin smalltalk about are these loft apartments because I used to live in Boston and they have loft apartments there too[/b] all the records are in crates out in the hallway because otherwise I might have seen the real records[/b]. he again tells me that everything is two bucks a pop and that he'll discount if when i buy bulk. i say "cool" and he goes into his apartment and shuts the door because I look like a hipster nerd who couldn't start shit if I tried[/b]. i start digging and instantly know that this collection leftovers from a storage unit clearance[/b] was a waste of time coming out to look at. tons of common ass major label[/b] disco and late 70's jazz funk. mixed in with the crap major label[/b] soul/disco type stuff are some decent titles digging 101 records that I always grab on sight[/b]... donald byrd- places and spaces, roy ayers- vibrations, cecil holmes- the blaxploitation lp etc, but nothing exceptional or that rare that I could trade to Good Records[/b]. i ended up with a pile of about 10 records that i was willing to buy (5 of the 10 i didn't even want but i felt bad only buying $10 worth of records). i would have bought a bunch more stuff ( every al green record... etc.) but most of the Al Green[/b] records turned out to be in lousy condition.

dude comes back out into the hall and i tell him i'm sorry but i could only find a few things i could use due to the fact that the records were in less then optimum condition and I'm a collectro... radio station dj.... used to work in a record shop blah blah blah[/b]. he looks a little irritated like he's trying to keep his eyes from rolling or maybe they just glazed over from the game I was spittin[/b] and he says "$25!" probably because he knows I'm just looking to flip these for mad heat yo[/b]. now i'm like "what?" he says it again "25!" i respond with " dude... you said they were 2 bucks a pop, that would make this pile $20." (keep in mind i only really want 5 of the records anyway). WTF??? so i tell him that i'm sorry i couldn't use more and that i appreciate him letting me go through his records he tells me, thanks but no thanks because he probably had no plans to let me walk out with only 10 records when he was looking to dump the lot,[/b] and says " well you know these are the best titles!" since if I walk out with these 10 records then he's still got 8 crates to somehow get rid of[/b]. i say "yeah i guess?" i imaginarily[/b] turned to him and tersely said " sorry man! no thanks." he then went off briefly made polite bullshit[/b] about how craigslist is a hassle and how nobody responded to his add and how people must not really want records anymore. HUH??? excuse me? i'm here right? ???[/b]

so i told the guy to have a stoop sale, wished him goodluck. now i know what some of you are thinking... " dude- it was only an extra 5 bucks! if I really needed Places and Spaces or tired ass King Curtis best ofs as a collectro I would drop $25 on 10 records in a second[/b] " but that is exactly the point. it is the principal of it. I am a baller, I don't pay $5 over price on 10 records[/b] dude said 2 bucks a pop as long as I buy a lot eg 30 minimum[/b] sooooooo the records are two bucks a pop. as long as I don't cherry pick 10 records after saying you wanted to buy bulk but showing up with the small record/messenger bag and try to drop knowledge on him about rarity, condition, radio station djing and being a collectro[/b] nothing worse than a guy getting cold feet about doing business than having some ex-record store guy enlighten him about rarity, condition and value but not help him get rid of 8 crates of major label 76-83 soul, jazz and disco[/b]. i'd rather waste my night then give that shit head an extra 5 bucks. an extra couple of square feet of floor space.

i'm happy too 'cuz i took that 5 bucks, went to the bar and bought a six point ale with it. fuck that guy! Then I posted my HIP HOP version of it on soulstrut and got a few yougogirls.[/b]

Dude you are a non threatening american college boy type who got a bad lead, that's all. You misread a Craiglist post that said 600 Major label soul/disco records as meaning "potential crazy raer I can get for pennies". Don't act like this was some aspect of your hustle like YOU IS BADASS OR SOMETHING!!! I had to play dumber than you, one day you'll understand.[/b]

Yeah that just happened.

Maybe it's cause I just woke up, but wtf is going on here?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• Does this mean SportCasual >>> SpliffDaddy >>>> **** ??

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    most herbacios tweed [/b]

• most herbacios tweed [/b]

HerbacioUs?

most herbacios tweed [/b]

HerbacioUs?

That is indeed a word; I can only conclude that "herbacios" is something else--something so extraordinary that it cannot be found in the dictionary.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    LOL! wow... what can i say.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    this is too good to be true

GREATEST THREAD EVER. CLOSE THE SITE RIGHT NOW. IT WON'T GET BETTER THAN THIS.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    it's funny how mad you sound. you really took that shit to heart to personally attack me here on ss. it made me laugh when i read your version because you feel the need to be a tough guy. i was just telling a story about a lame craigslist deal. so i'm a tweed hat wearing, non threating college type tommy digalot... atleast i'm not a salty, old and grey haired british loser. next time try not to act so asshurt. this tread is awesome.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    british loser

You diss the British you diss yourself...

Wanker.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You diss the British you diss yourself...

Hey! Just because he dresses like Oliver Twist
    ... that doesn't mean he's a Brit!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Not that i talk a whole lot when i am sitting here at work, but, I'm speechless. That was...wow.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    nah man! not me in my herbacious hat. you got it twisted.

it's funny how mad you sound. you really took that shit to heart to personally attack me here on ss. it made me laugh when i read your version because you feel the need to be a tough guy. i was just telling a story about a lame craigslist deal. so i'm a tweed hat wearing, non threating college type tommy digalot... atleast i'm not a salty, old and grey haired british loser. next time try not to act so asshurt. this tread is awesome.

Which part of "mentally deficient" and "shit head" was I supposed to sit back and laugh at? Even if I was acting.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Spliff... Did you get the membership invitation for the Over 30 Disgruntled Diggers Club?

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

don't bother dude.there is nothing you can say to redeem yourself after the absolute most brutal super-sonning ever.you lose.move on.

however you did provide immense entertainment and I thank you for that.

Spliff... Did you get the membership invitation for the Over 30 Disgruntled Diggers Club?

I think I just did! First time I've ever been called old and grey. I swear it's just my chinbeard that's got gray hairs, and they are not actually gray, more like platinum blond. Must be from all the I deal with in the real world

don't bother dude.there is nothing you can say to redeem yourself after the absolute most brutal super-sonning ever.you lose.move on.

Might have to just retire the current log-in.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    to jump in and attempt some sort of "now, now , boys", i will say i have bought records off BigSpliff for years and he has always been totally decent to deal with...

considering the amount of kooks and lunatics dealing in records (*cough*, stinky steve), S*sch* is pretty much a straight forward guy w/ prices ranging from fair to cheap as hell.

it sounds like there were some missed signals here or something, but from my experience, he's the last dude who wants to rip 5 dollars out of your hands...

(on a seperate note, this similar thing happened to me lately, where i posted this whole thing on another message board about how i was really glad that Reckless Records on Berwick St. in London was closing b/c last time i was there, the surley modette behind the counter wouldn't give me any trade value on a pile of 60's and 70's soul 45's (actually from the ch**p*'s score that me and SoulOnIce got and where Spivvy used to work...) and that i hoped that girl was out of work and eating oatmeal. based on the description "surly modette", some friend of hers emailed her the thread, and she got at me thru myspace. believe it or not, after a few emails, we were kinda cool with each other... moral of the story: cyberspace is a small place...)

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    this shit is so funny i've already read it three times.