Sarah Silverman Show Appreciation (Big S Related)

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'e only caught it once. The episode where she starts drinking cough syrup had me laughing my ass off.
    My sentiments exactly. Just finished watching the first episode and I thought it was really blapping good.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    havent seen it, but IMO shes a better writer.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think a lot of people that have problems with her just aren't down with a small framed young chick using offensive comedy in her act.

She's got the physical appearance of a pixie but the mouth of a sailor and apparently her breasts can grow and shrink at will

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think a lot of people that have problems with her just aren't down with a small framed young chick using offensive comedy in her act.

What if u simply dont laugh?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

What if u simply dont laugh?

well that can be too, I'm just saying if you had some Armenian white dude acting like Richard Pryor on stage it wouldn't get the same reaction as "Live on the Sunset Strip"

anyways just a theory

• I can see why she's polarizing.

Katt Williams "Pimp Chronicles"
    Sarah Silverman "Jesus is Magic"

are two hour-long comedy specials I've enjoyed recently on the satellite tv.

As stated above, her timing is spot-on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Why are you cats bringing Brothers into the critque? Arent we talking about Silverman?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Why are you cats bringing Brothers into the critque?

Because we need to talk about people who are actually funny.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Wait...so I don't like Sarah S's racist humor because I'm sexist?

• Why are you cats bringing Brothers into the critque? Arent we talking about Silverman?

Huh? Alls I said was these are two comedy specials I saw recently and enjoyed. It's a stand-alone comment w/ no implications. Completley impossible that SSers go into a post looking to infer something.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I have no problem with that, but I do think being cute and young with a pottymouth is her only gimmick.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm fairly certain she shares a fan base with Carlos Mencia.

i fuckin hate carlo mencia. this bitch doesnt steal other comedians fuckin jokes. thats a whacky fuckin comparison. shit man.

I wasn't referring to her stealing jokes. I couldn't care less. I was referring to her general obnoxious demeanor. In that regard, her and Mencia are two ugly peas in an extremely unhumorous pod.

I stand by my comparison. They're both talentless hacks.

• Which comedians aren't obnoxious? Isn't that part of the deal?

Comparing Silverman to Mencia leads me to believe you've seen neither.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Inferring all comedians are obnoxious leads me to believe you've never seen a good comedian.

• Who are some of the non-obnoxious comedians you enjoy? Perhaps our interpretations of obnoxious are different.

I care less who digs Sarah Silverman or not, but it would seem her and Mencia aren't even playing the same sport.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Best in the Business.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I care less who digs Sarah Silverman or not, but it would seem her and Mencia aren't even playing the same sport.

word.

Mencia is that lowest-common-denominator comedian. "Mexicans drive like this; white people drive like this." GTFOHWTBS.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Mencia is that lowest-common-denominator comedian. "Mexicans drive like this; white people drive like this." GTFOHWTBS.
    shock humor ain't on some lowest common denominator shit? come on!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

My point exactly.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Who are some of the non-obnoxious comedians you enjoy? Perhaps our interpretations of obnoxious are different.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of many stand up comedians, but I think I'm safe in citing Bill Hicks, Dave Chappelle, and (SNL-era) Eddie Murphy as examples of non-obnoxious comedians.

• Best in the Business.

Um, excuse me sir, I have someone with me who would beg to differ....

• Who are some of the non-obnoxious comedians you enjoy? Perhaps our interpretations of obnoxious are different.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of many stand up comedians, but I think I'm safe in citing Bill Hicks, Dave Chappelle, and (SNL-era) Eddie Murphy as examples of non-obnoxious comedians.

See, I'd call all those dudes "obnoxious". I think that kind of obnoxiousness/irreverence is key to any comedian worth his/her salt.

Different strokes and all, but I wouldn't call SS shock humor. Most of her jokes take like 2.5 minutes to set-up and are predicated on her impeccable timing.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

My point exactly.

I'm not even offering an opinion on Sarah Silverman, I just happen to have an uncommon dislike for the one called Carlos Mencia.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Who are some of the non-obnoxious comedians you enjoy? Perhaps our interpretations of obnoxious are different.

dude i love bill hicks and all, but really? have you not heard him yelling and antagonizing the audience? what about his 'goatboy' bit?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

it's lowest common denominator to suggest that there can only be one degree of shock humor.

this thread badly needs a resurrection of the rape donkeys speak not on what you don't know campaign.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Best in the Business.

Um, excuse me sir, I have someone with me who would beg to differ....

POTD (Post of the Day)

Sarah Silverman is funny. Sorry.

The clip I saw she sleeps with God and God is a black dude and she's trying to kick God out of bed the next morning and she keeps lieing to him even though he's omnipresent. How is that not funny?

Her potty mouth just makes her hotter than she already is.

p.s. Archer Bunker was racist.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

it's lowest common denominator to suggest that there can only be one degree of shock humor.

this thread badly needs a resurrection of the rape donkeys speak not on what you don't know campaign.
    please detail the different degrees of shock humor

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

You may dislike Mencia and Silverman but comparing them
    is seriously-Say What?!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

You may dislike Mencia and Silverman but comparing them
    is seriously-Say What?!

All I saw was comparison of their fan base. Not their material. She's wack, get over it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    please detail the different degrees of shock humor

most humor has an element of shock. by it's very definition a joke is built on the unexpected. but if we're dealing with the popular defintion of "shock humor," there are definitely degrees of shock. i think the best shock humor really delves deep into the human psyche. i think louis ck's routines about wanting to leave his baby in a dumpster superficially might be a crude and shocking joke in the wrong hands but he tells them with such wit and humanity that it really resonates with anybody who has or has been around kids.

to suggest that there aren't degrees to shock humor is to put ck or silverman on the same level as, say, the incredible racist or goatse.cx or whatever and that's an insult to their craft.

i don't know why so many users of this message board have such a hard time thinking in anything but absolutes.