Sarah Silverman Show Appreciation (Big S Related)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
the show is pretty funny...anybody else following it?

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I've watched it a few times and wanted to like it, but there's something in her delivery that grates on my nerves. I can't quite put my finger on it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I've watched it a few times and wanted to like it, but there's something in her delivery that grates on my nerves. I can't quite put my finger on it.

bitch is obnoxious. and i don't mean "funny cute obnoxious" like she thinks she is. just obnoxious.

• her delivery

her comedic timing is pretty spot-on though

• bitch sucks

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    she's a funny muthafucka.
    and she's cute.

fuck the humorless haters.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Everything I've seen of this girl borders on being unwatchable. What I've seen of her show is no different.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I saw the first episode and thought it was damn funny.
    I know what people are saying about her delivery though, it's kinda wonky.
    But I'm cool with it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm fairly certain she shares a fan base with Carlos Mencia.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i fuckin hate carlo mencia. this bitch doesnt steal other comedians fuckin jokes. thats a whacky fuckin comparison. shit man.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i fuckin hate carlo mencia. this bitch doesnt steal other comedians fuckin jokes. thats a whacky fuckin comparison. shit man.

yeah, that's definitely an unfair comparison. carlos mencia is some lowest common denominator shit. sarah silverman has some smart humor at least. i just can't get with her tone for some reason.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Her standup is terrible - basically "LOL racism rape" (youtube around for a vid of her bombing on bill maher) and i don't really have a need to see the show

• SoulStrut no like Miss Silverman.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Her standup is terrible - basically "LOL racism rape" (youtube around for a vid of her bombing on bill maher) and i don't really have a need to see the show

while i thought 'jesus is magic' was weaksauce and her stand up shtick gets annoying, her show doesn't lean on these traits quite as hard. basically i think she has pretty decent writers this time around.

i am not a fan of her stand-up, but this show has been a pleasant surprise.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

With few exceptions (the News Hour with John Stewart and Stephen Colbert), Comedy Central is a terrible channel. They have some of the least funny comedy I have ever seen.

That said, Sarah Silverman:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Clueless college kids shit.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I'm fairly certain you're completely wrong.

I'm not a fan of Silverman, per se, and I agree with most of the criticism in this thread - her smarmy persona is beyond grating, ironic racism isn't a good look. That being said she surrounds herself with the right people. The writing is brilliant, the cast - Brian Posehn, Steve Agee, Jay Johnston - is unmatched.
    It takes a cue from I>Get a Life/I>, where the main character is purposely unlikable. That's the joke. If you can get past her obnoxiousness, it's the best show on television that's not 30 Rock.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm fairly certain you're completely wrong.

I'm not a fan of Silverman, per se, and I agree with most of the criticism in this thread - her smarmy persona is beyond grating, ironic racism isn't a good look. That being said she surrounds herself with the right people. The writing is brilliant, the cast - Brian Posehn, Steve Agee, Jay Johnston - is unmatched.
    It takes a cue from I>Get a Life/I>, where the main character is purposely unlikable. That's the joke. If you can get past her obnoxiousness, it's the best show on television that's not 30 Rock.

Oh jeez. Can you recommend any recent rap metal releases?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    how funny - i thought of Sarah Silverman yesterday while I was reading the Ann Coulter thread:

outrageous for the sake of being outrageous, a comedienne, although not a very funny one

it's a thin line between love and hate, or from the looks of it, between hate and hate.

from eyeweekly.com

There's a long tradition of sitcom characters sharing the same name as the actor who portrays them.
    Sometimes it's out of necessity: one imagines Tony Danza wouldn't respond to any faux moniker ??? ?? la Homer Simpson in the ???Cape Feare??? witness-protection episode ??? so he was Tony Micelli on Who's The Boss? and Tony Banta on Taxi. Other times, it's too hard for the audience to imagine, say, Lucille Ball as anything other than a Lucy. Then there's the meta reason, where comics play fictionalized versions of themselves, an angle pioneered by Garry Shandling and popularized by Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David.
    That's the tack Sarah Silverman takes on her new show, The Sarah Silverman Program, in which the comedian has transplanted her stand-up persona into a sitcom. But unlike Garry, Jerry and Larry, Silverman isn't playing a comedian ??? in fact, ???Silverman??? is happily unemployed ??? but her character's sister Laura is her real sister, her dog is her dog and they filmed the pilot in her actual apartment.
    The basics are familiar from her concert film Jesus Is Magic: Silverman plays an approachably hot narcissist who smiles ever-so-sweetly while cracking jaw-dropping jokes about blacks, retarded people, the Holocaust and poo. She balances out the shock value by delivering it all with an effervescent innocence that makes her seem blissfully unaware she said anything wrong in the first place ??? she might be mean, but she means well. Sorta.
    If you don't know Silverman's highly ironic, taboo-busting style, it's best summed up by her two most famous quips: ???I was raped by a doctor... which is so bittersweet for a Jewish girl??? and ???I don't care if you think I'm racist. I just want you to think I'm thin.???
    The series is a collaboration with Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab (of cult TV pilot Heat Vision and Jack). Its clich??d set-ups and stock characters reveal it to be just as much about skewering sitcom conventions as prejudices. Next-door neighbours Brian and Steve (comics Brian Posehn and Steve Agee) are not just ???totally gay for each other,??? they're also slovenly, videogame-playing nerds. And though Silverman learns something special each week, the lessons are along the lines of ???I learned that elderly black women are wise beyond their years. But younger black women are prostitutes.???
    It's also quick to go off the rails. In the debut episode, Sarah drives after chugging cough syrup and her ride turns into a cartoon straight out of '80s kids show The Great Space Coaster. She also regularly breaks out into song ??? lyrically praising herself for taking in a homeless person (to turn him into a ???real person???) or discussing a fart that came out as, well, more than hot air.
    The first season hits pretty much every hot button ??? Silverman sleeps with God but then doesn't call him, cures her blahs with an AIDS test, avoids helping a friend move by claiming ???I stubbed my vagina??? and covetously recounts how her sister's adolescent pubic hair looked like ???Cat Steven's face.??? Then there's Officer Jay's (sketch vet Jay Johnston) classic pick-up line: ???You know, I believe the Holocaust was completely uncalled for.???
    Too often talented comics are shoehorned into crap comedies, so it's a pleasure to see the sitcom format retrofitted for Silverman's shtick. Of course, the calculated outrageousness of her routine ??? it aims to mock racism, homophobia and other societal ills by pretending to revel in them, though her love of toilet humour is clearly ingenuous ??? means this show is not for the easily offended. Real comedy rarely is.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Aren't you too smart for all televsion?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Aren't you too smart for all televsion?

Yes. That's why I am inquiring about other media... specifically rap metal.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Too often talented comics are shoehorned into crap comedies, so it's a pleasure to see the sitcom format retrofitted for Silverman's shtick. Of course, the calculated outrageousness of her routine ??? it aims to mock racism, homophobia and other societal ills by pretending to revel in them,[/b] though her love of toilet humour is clearly ingenuous ??? means this show is not for the easily offended. Real comedy rarely is.

it does???
    i don't see where the mocking of racism enters into it. There's plenty of mocking directed towards our sensitivities of such, tho

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Yes. That's why I am inquiring about other media... specifically rap metal.

If you want to start a thread about the sadly wanning state of rap metal, I will meet you over there, with this certified classic in tow:

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The jerky pacing of the plots works well with the clunky dialog. I've only caught one episode, but I give it a thumbs up.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I can get with silverman. As evidenced by this photo she is clearly funny.

In closing, I would like to say:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

unbelievable breast dimension fluctuation syndrome.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Could simply be the work of a good bra.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    is it me or has she been in steady decline as far as baps?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I dig on her looks and her bit in the aristocrats was hilarious but this show sucks donkey dicks.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I'e only caught it once. The episode where she starts drinking cough syrup had me laughing my ass off.