NYC Newstrut: WTF is up at Kim's Video?

CLabCLab 76 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
dudes in cuffs? the long arm of the RIAA? bootleg heaven no more? clarity greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    they got raided for mix cds. an undercover cop bought a G-Unit mix, then a few minutes later a bunch of detectives rolled in and arrested all the employees who were behind the counter when the sale happened and 2 managers and took them to jail overnight. the cops confiscated all the mix cds. i'm guessing some djs will get cease and desist letters from the RIAA but that is just speculation.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    Is the "buy a sticker and get a free promo mixtape" thing not working or did they just sell the mix directly?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    an undercover cop bought a G-Unit mix, then a few minutes later a bunch of detectives rolled in and arrested all the employees who were behind the counter when the sale happened and 2 managers and took them to jail overnight. the cops confiscated all the mix cds.

Gives new meaning to the lines

I'm in the town where the young boys is clappin'
    You running around town with the Lieutenant and Captain

and

Oh yeah, you got sixty-five niggaz on your team
    And they're not from Southside Jamaica, Queens
    They're the boys in blue, and I'm just speaking the truth

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    that's wack as fuck. i can understand sending the manager to jail, but the employees?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    they got raided for mix cds. an undercover cop bought a G-Unit mix, then a few minutes later a bunch of detectives rolled in and arrested all the employees who were behind the counter when the sale happened and 2 managers and took them to jail overnight. the cops confiscated all the mix cds. i'm guessing some djs will get cease and desist letters from the RIAA but that is just speculation.

But, see, that's just stupidity on behalf of the RIAA. Do you know how many city kids listen to mixtapes? This is a valid part of the industry hype machine and, in my book, leads to sales.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My old company had beef with the company Macrovision because we sold DVD players which we disabled the Macrovision on so you could make copies of your DVDs. They raided our office, took our DVD players, we had to waste like $25K on lawyers and the FBI ended up dropping the charges. It was some stupid bullshit.