NYers - wtf is up with The Splasher?(graf related)

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
and the latest:Dude is wilding out there.http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/23/against_streeta.php

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Cap 1 of the 2000's

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    well ... dude's got an agenda (and, you might say, a point). I'll give him/her that:

More articulate than Cap 1, that's for sure.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Tiny shards of glass.

Tiny shards of glass.

Now, are they just blowing smoke, or did they actually mix in the glass?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    that dude (or girl) is gonna catch the beatdown of a lifetime! if the cops don't catch him/her first.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I dunno!

But

"It's representation of the most vulgar kind"

Maybe..home brewer?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Dude is wilding out there.

]

i guess he's not a Shepard Fairey fan?

I'm not either!

Honestly, I think this splasher may have a point:

Often, in the wake of his attacks, the Splasher also leaves wheat-pasted screeds, attacking the streetartists as tools of capital, calling their work a "fetishized action of banality" and "a representation of the most vulgar kind: an alienated commodity"

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Seriously a BIG beatdown!

I feel sorry for the cat(he or she)

and it's big vocabulary!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

This mega spray has started to hit over here. Graffiti Blasters need scaffoldings.

Graffiti Blasters need scaffoldings.

or paint bazookas

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

This mega spray has started to hit over here. Graffiti Blasters need scaffoldings.

wooster street?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Tiny shards of glass.

Now, are they just blowing smoke, or did they actually mix in the glass?

I posted about the Angela Davis one a few months back because I was walking by it daily and over 10 days or so after the original Obey paper was glued up there was a bit of to and fro when this person painted over it, some people fixed it, then that text was pasted up. Yes you could see the little glass bits in it.

The green shit is paint in an old school fire extinguisher.

It was cool to read OBEY all over Wburg when Fairey was slumming it, but when he's in galleries, it kind of takes on a different meaning. He needs to quit with the stuntart.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    He needs to quit

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Fairey has quit... he's taken up DJ'ing

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    yeah i'm pissed.

fuck that splasher shit. and fuck toys with fire extinguishers.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

i'm pretty sure this one isn't the splasher. there is a writer who goes by the name KATSU. i 'm pretty sure this neon green super-soaker tag is said person. look closely and you can read it.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    well ... dude's got an agenda (and, you might say, a point). I'll give him/her that:
    Reads like art school BS to me...

Yeah ... it'd be one thing if they simply put these up next to the work as a "critique". Who benefits from the destruction of the work? I suppose it "promotes discussion" like this one ... eh, they need to

:take that shit to artclass.com:

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Yeah ... it'd be one thing if they simply put these up next to the work as a "critique". Who benefits from the destruction of the work? I suppose it "promotes discussion" like this one ... eh, they need to

come on people this is Williamsburg.

a) he has a point.

b) Fairey is a brand, not an artist. Why the fuck should he get free advertising and everyone just sit back and obey?

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

I hope some writers promote the discussion with the artist via the medium of performance art...in other words, a proper kicking...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

That was the first thing that popped into my mind. This kind of crap is why the first half of Art School Confidential was so hilarious.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I hope some writers promote the discussion with the artist via the medium of performance art...in other words, a proper kicking...

Yeah, they'd be brownshirts for the art establishment. You're on the wrong side here matey.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    This kind of crap is why the first half 12 minutes of Art School Confidential was so hilarious.

merely commenting on the work is what intellectuals do. revolutionaries act. not that i really care or think its a good thing but just saying. talking does a lot less when theres no action behind it.

I can certainly see that point and I agree with it. I just question their action. They (he/she/it) think that the medium used by certain other artists is illegitimate. So they destroy the work? I prefer a revolution that offers an alternative, rather than one that simply focuses on destroying what it doesn't like.

How about creating legitimate work instead?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Yup, it's hit and it drips over EVERYTHING. If dude is trying to make a point he should go over it, diss it, that's what writers have always done. But this spray and splatter shit is just foul.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    great fucking thread
    kiko keeps it real at rykers for 6 months with a 25,000 lein on his future paystub so is that a sell out too?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    1) People who do nothing but diss graff are not uncommon. In a lot of cities, it's homeless people who have some crazy vendetta against graff heads for some reason or another. Sometimes it's other writers dissing shit. In Seattle, there was/is a 40 year old man who goes around the city painting silver circles all over peoples' graff. And I think buffmonster in LA came up wheatpasting over toy graff (graff heads please correct me if i'm wrong). It's not a new thing, and in some cases, I think it's a good thing. Helps motivate writers to get off their asses and put in more work.

2) I think that neon green tag in that one flick is a fire extinguisher, not a super soaker. The supersoaker tags are a lot thinner and less consistent in thickness. And to be clear, established bombers use this tool for destruction often, it's not really just a toy move. Unless it's a toy trying it out, which is known to happen. However, the extinguisher tags are used by major crews a lot out west (Mayhem, TKO, etc.) and they are dope when pulled off properly. In one of the Clout mags, there's even a flick of a hollow done with extinguishers. Last time I was in LA, dudes were hitting the underside of freeway overpasses with extinguisher tags, looked cool. Like when you're driving down the freeway and you go under another freeway, it would be on the "ceiling" as you drove through the underpass.

By the way, this would be a cool picture without the car (with the car it looks a scion ad or something):

ps - one thing to remember about graffiti - 99.999% of the time it's temporary. you paint it and it gets painted over. nature of the game.

• when i first read about this, i saw he did it over banksy and shep...

seriously, they are as OF the system as it gets; my friend who owns a gallery repped shep for a while (diss all you want; i don't own his shit. i still like my friend, though) and banksy just sold a few pieces to a. jolie for a few hundred thousand. i won't deny those two artist their write to make street or guerilla art at ALL. But, at the same time, i won't deny another artist the write to respond to them and the moves they make.

so what if someone feels the need to respond to their work in this way? i see it as a temporary move in an ongoing wall discussion. let's see what comes next. there is obviously more thought put into this that just writing over a piece, art school bullshit or no.

oh, and speaking of art school...the first 15 or so minutes of that movie were funny; man, was the last 7/8ths the hottest of hot garbage, though. wow. it was bad in such a special way.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

oh, and speaking of art school...the first 15 or so minutes of that movie were funny; man, was the last 7/8ths the hottest of hot garbage, though. wow. it was bad in such a special way.

Serious - it was crazy how I was laughing out loud through the
    entire opening sequence, and it quickly became less and less funny
    and interesting to the point that the only positive thing I could
    say to my friend about it later was that "the cute girl gets naked."

That part was pretty cool. (cough)