Jake One Youtube video

124»

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i use unreleased jake one beats for the menu screen when i burn custom dvds for me and my wife. true story (home-use only, not for retail sale, blap-king... don't worry )

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    i use unreleased jake one beats for the menu screen when i burn custom dvds for me and my wife. true story (home-use only, not for retail sale, blap-king... don't worry )

lol. You know you contributed to Young Buck "Buck the World" via soulseek right??

lol. You know you contributed to Young Buck "Buck the World" via soulseek right??

yes. plese send check to: soulman, box 12323, philly, pa 19119.

man, if i got paid for every platinum album i've anonymously contributed to over the years maybe i could finally throw some d's on that '95 Corolla i'm pushin'. lolol

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

man, if i got paid for every platinum album i've anonymously contributed to over the years maybe i could finally throw some d's on that '95 Corolla i'm pushin'. lolol

What's up with the list, Phill? Just albums, no need to call out the actual songs. But I'm quite curious to see where your "anonymous contributions" have turned up.

What's up with the list, Phill? Just albums, no need to call out the actual songs. But I'm quite curious to see where your "anonymous contributions" have turned up.

between '95 and 2000 (and even much more recently) if you liked it, it probably was me

• Jake 1 and Vitamin D got that fire.

Saettle on tha come up!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    humpty dumpty...

and when the drums kick in in "Balek" ...

• i use unreleased jake one beats for the menu screen when i burn custom dvds for me and my wife. true story (home-use only, not for retail sale, blap-king... don't worry )

• after reading this thread...its so fuckin lame.

how could you NOT fuck with the biggest earning team in the game ? THAT STILL WANTS BEATS MADE WITH SAMPLES?????? yeah...dont make money. clowns.
    not 1 person on here pays my bills, or jakes. get yours !

oh yea...phil, i know bob g made alot of ppl's classic rap lps, classic as well. unsung heroes.

oh yea...phill[/b], i know bob g made alot of ppl's classic rap lps, classic as well. unsung heroes.

no doubt... me and Bob were always side-by-side at the later Union Square shows. The only reason I could even keep up with him was because I was a hip hop dude, so I knew just what kind of samples producers were gonna be looking for. But Bob had the ill records! A lot of that European stuff that's common knowledge in this internet age we now live in, but back then the schitt was like

The Vinyl Dogs are some other unsung dudes from that Roosevelt era that had a hand in birthing hella hip hop hits too. I'm still mad I never got to print an interview I did with Sean Richey back in the early 2000s... he dropped some very interesting schitt in that piece (schitt that certain headz did not want him to drop publicly, too... which is why the interview never saw the light of day)

yeah, and I know you and A**r are responsible for a lot of hits too, K*n! and Jake (pre-Blap-king era) & Supreme too. and the list goes on...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

oh yea...phill[/b], i know bob g made alot of ppl's classic rap lps, classic as well. unsung heroes.

no doubt... me and Bob were always side-by-side at the later Union Square shows. The only reason I could even keep up with him was because I was a hip hop dude, so I knew just what kind of samples producers were gonna be looking for. But Bob had the ill records! A lot of that European stuff that's common knowledge in this internet age we now live in, but back then the schitt was like

The Vinyl Dogs are some other unsung dudes from that Roosevelt era that had a hand in birthing hella hip hop hits too. I'm still mad I never got to print an interview I did with Sean Richey back in the early 2000s... he dropped some very interesting schitt in that piece (schitt that certain headz did not want him to drop publicly, too... which is why the interview never saw the light of day)

Reminds me of ya boy, Ski (OG Flavor, etc.). I was rockin' "out there" sample shit, playing him and Roland from Payroll Records (G-Boro, NC) shit in about '89-'90. Then, ole' Ski (till this point is sampling straight soul loops with the Bizzie Boys) is suddenly sampling the Richie Havens (I had looped some shit from the "Something Else Again" on my Birds of a Feather EP/Demo) and other "off the wall" shit at the time. It's funny how shit works, and I'm sure he'd never admit that shit.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• oh yea...phill[/b], i know bob g made alot of ppl's classic rap lps, classic as well. unsung heroes.

you need to see andre at waxpoetics...you need a column again maane.
    im sure it could happen.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

im sure it could happen.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

- but only if he is also allowed to illustrate his
    own articles with that crazed collage work that is so

im sure it could happen.

yo... thanks for the endorsement, one and all. i was actually offered the opportunity to be in on the ground floor when my boy Andre was putting WaxPo together... i didn't have time to be that heavily involved, though. I did do the one story with Supreme in issue one, but Andre had a different vision for where he wanted the mag to go than what I was comfortable being involved in, so I decided it would be better if I was just a fan and reader of WP rather than a contributor. His vision is a good vision, though... i'm definitely a huge supporter of what Wax Poetics is all about.

i'm really not a journalist anyway... i'm just a dude who loves old hip hop and big tiddies

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Waxpoetics is always thoroughly researched, and almost always lacking in the sense of humour department. Which is why they (and we) need a dose of That Real Soulman Schitt!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    after reading this thread...its so fuckin lame.

how could you NOT fuck with the biggest earning team in the game ? THAT STILL WANTS BEATS MADE WITH SAMPLES?????? yeah...dont make money. clowns.
    not 1 person on here pays my bills, or jakes. get yours !

actually, yes I do. I BUY your stuff. I mean not beats, but records. Most of the stuff I can get my hands on, because I love them edits, play them samplers out and support that. For real. Like Premo once said, 10 dollars in your pocket, either buy food or that record...And I have nothing against beatmakers doing business with WHOEVER to get that paper!! DO IT. BUT...if you don't get paid when you actually have one of the hottest beats on a major release, thats on some foul ish...at least that is what I heard with Disco D and "Ski Mask Way", if different please tell me...

I'm a fan of all the Placebo Lp's,But Weather Reports "Sweetnighter" shits on all of them.

I have to admit, I knew and owned Weather Report LP's before I even heard about Placebo and I have 3 copies of "Sweetnighter" sitting on the shelves, but puleeze...Wayne Shorter is just annoying with his blow...I have an edit of "125th Street Congress" entitled "a little shorter". If someone is interested, I can put that up. No disrespect to Zawinul et al. and all they have done for music, but still I prefer that Moulin ish each and every day over WR...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Waxpoetics is always thoroughly researched, and almost always lacking in the sense of humour department. Which is why they (and we) need a dose of That Real Soulman Schitt!

So true, WP is stale, too scholarly and no fun.
    That mag needs a fresh perspective.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

• off subject.. but for dudes like soulman, kon, etc...

Why didn't you just make beats back in the day. I know it's easier said then done, but i know Phil makes beats. I mean even if they weren't good you had enough stuff too just loop that would kill the competition back then.

I always wondered why the decision to not make the beatsand get a couple $$$?

Why didn't you just make beats back in the day. I know it's easier said then done, but i know Phil makes beats. I mean even if they weren't good you had enough stuff too just loop that would kill the competition back then.

it's just not that simple. i make beats and while i have people wanting beats for free all day. but to actually have someone give you any money for a beat is really really really really really really really really really tough. peace, stein. . .

it's just not that simple. i make beats and while i have people wanting beats for free all day. but to actually have someone give you any money for a beat is really really really really really really really really really tough. peace, stein. . .

of course I know that. But unlike most people.. they had connections. Plus unlike now where it's everyone with a cpu doing beats, most of the producers were in the "digging" crowd. Q TIP, Diamond D, Finesse, Large Pro, etc.. guys i'm assuming they dealt with. Anyways, just wondering if they ever ATTEMPTED doing some production(Post Phil Most Chill days ).

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    to the haters. g-g-g-g-g-unit!^!!^!

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    if you guys liked this beat, check out jake ones tale of the tape LP.. its 10 times as dope, a lot of hot tracks on that one... didnt really feel this track when all the midi stuff came on. but it was nice in the beginning i think.

off subject.. but for dudes like soulman, kon, etc...

Why didn't you just make beats back in the day. I know it's easier said then done, but i know Phill[/b] makes beats. I mean even if they weren't good you had enough stuff too just loop that would kill the competition back then.

of course I know that. But unlike most people.. they had connections. Plus unlike now where it's everyone with a cpu doing beats, most of the producers were in the "digging" crowd. Q TIP, Diamond D, Finesse, Large Pro, etc.. guys i'm assuming they dealt with. Anyways, just wondering if they ever ATTEMPTED doing some production(Post Phill[/b] Most Chill days ).

This is a good question... i actually have done some beats for people that were not released and a lot of others that were accepted by the artists but ended up getting fronted on by the management or record label, usually for reasons that had little to do with the actual music. Then you have all of the beats that were put on demos and circulated around, only to have someone bite the idea and redo the beat themselves (I'm not salty about that- that's the chance you take when you sample schitt).

Selling beats, from my experience, really isn't all about how good your schitt is or isn't. There are plenty of dudes out there that make good beats that can't get on to save their lives, while some hack who grew up across the street from (fill in the name of whatever rapper) is able to have a career in the business. Yes, I have been cool with a lot of different producers, but without naming names I always felt like the dudes who wanted to work with me and put me on were out to jerk me for my beats, so I never followed through with them. Maybe I should have just played it out to see how it would've gone, but after dealing with so many bad music biz situations in the 80's and early 90's I really wasn't down to travel that road again. So since I guess about 1994 or so I've just been looking at this rap schitt as a hobby- although I have made some beat tapes and let some people hear things, I never really pushed it aggressively. Luckily for me I have a pretty good life outside of my hip hop mindgarden, so it's not all that important (and even with that I've STILL made a few $$$ off the music in one way or another, so I can't complain).

I could go on and ON about this subject, but I'm already getting into ramble mode, so I'll just leave it at that.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    So since I guess about 1994 or so I've just been looking at this rap schitt as a hobby- although I have made some beat tapes and let some people hear things, I never really pushed it aggressively.

Luckily for me I have a pretty good life outside of my hip hop mindgarden, so it's not all that important (and even with that I've STILL made a few $$$ off the music in one way or another, so I can't complain).

I love that approach and applaud your attitude.

All industry shenanigans stories aside, you have found a great headspace: By approaching it as a hobby you avoid the daily grind aspect allowing the stresses to slide and increasing the personal fulfillment, not to mention the respect you garner from your fans and peers.

Thats all.