Zodiac

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Movie was ill. Great acting, incredible attention to detail, beautiful Frisco scenery. I remember being in 4th grade, must have been 1984 or so and the Zodiac Killer was back in the news for some reason and we were making New Years wishes or something and a bunch of girls in my class were wishing that the Zodiac would be caught and drawing pictures about it- weird. Then I read Greysmith's book in 7th or 8th grade when I was in my goth phase- that's the book and the dude the movie is based on.

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    one of those murders really freaked me out.

this movie was good and intense. i like some of fincher's other movies, but it was refreshing to see him showing some restraint in the style department. nice music choices as well.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw it last night and liked it as well. A long, long time ago I went on a Zodiac tour of Vallejo/Benecia. Went to two of the murder sites, where he made some phone calls to the police from, a restaurant that one of the victims lived in, etc. Creeped the shit out of me and I was reminded of that feeling in the opening scenes of the movie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard that this is probably the best rendition of the "Zodiac" based movies. I did realize there were already a gang of them made already. Loosly based or st8 fantasy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is there a talking dog involved?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh shit, I just realized you changed your name.

And yeah I heard this movie is great. The NY Times gave it a glowing review.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is there a talking dog involved?

Haha....

The Post Office that D.Berkowitz worked in during the murders is in my hood on 149thSt.Grand Concourse.
    And across the street is the subway entrance to the Legendary Writer's Bench. The old bench was replaced a long time ago w/ the new style NYC/MTA bench steez. The Post Office also played a role in Dead Presidents.

Hi Cos! (this is Cos, right?)

Yeah, I realize the name change wave has created, in the words of Sir Topham Hat, "confusion and delay."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Hi Cos! (this is Cos, right?)

Yeah, I realize the name change wave has created, in the words of Sir Topham Hat, "confusion and delay."

Yessir!

And I like the way this has shaken things up. Keeps everyone on their toes.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Mark Ruffalo has always been on my radar but I think he became my favorite actor with this film.

Mark Ruffalo has always been on my radar but I think he became my favorite actor with this film.

I thought he was great in "Collateral" - I wouldn't have pictured him as a cop right off the bat but I liked his performance and would think it would carry well into "Zodiac."

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    great movie! saw it tonite at a packed theater. it was close to 3 hours long and i didn't see a single person get up out of his or her seat.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Damn, gotta go check it out this week then.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    putting the annoying/forced "food talk" between
    mark ruffalo & anthony edwards aside, it was really well done.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    the last 3rd dragged for me...

and the ending left me a little unsatisfied.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the last 3rd dragged for me...

and the ending left me a little unsatisfied.

I could see where some would say the pacing lagged at times but personally I never lost interest. I feel you on the ending a little tho. But great performances all around, that was one of the most all around talented casts in a long while.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    putting the annoying/forced "food talk" between
    mark ruffalo & anthony edwards aside, it was really well done.

yeah that annoyed me and seemed like a desperate move to add comic relief to a really bleak subject.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I totally agree with everything that's been said here, good and bad. Downey is spectacular in this and should get an oscar.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I thought he was great in "Collateral" - I wouldn't have pictured him as a cop right off the bat but I liked his performance and would think it would carry well into "Zodiac."

He played a cop in "In The Cut" too.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    He was amazing in both "You Can Count on Me" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". I always thought back then that he would have been perfect for "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". I think he is a little too old now.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I really liked this movie, probably won't be a top 3 for me this year, but definitely top 10. I think the movie made a pretty good case for who they thought the Zodiac was (no spoilers) while leaving in a lot of the real world ambiguity that made it impossible to say for sure who it was, as in a conviction. There were a couple of things that I had to explain to my wife afterward because she's not from San Francisco. I'd really like to see this movie again to relate more to the craft of the filmmaking, particularly what were the moments chosen for the spectacular CGI San Francisco Landscapes (the two fly-ins over the Ferry Bldg., the shot looking down from the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, the flyover of the foundation of the Transamerica Pyramid, the time-lapse construction of the Transamerica Pyramid, and others). I guess I can wait for the director's commentary on the DVD for that, though. Did anyone notice that the second fly-in over the Ferry Bldg was basically the same shot as the opening of Sudden Impact? Definitely a great San Francisco as Character film, I would recommend those who liked Zodiac should seek out The Conversation.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Definitely a great San Francisco as Character film, I would recommend those who liked Zodiac should seek out The Conversation.

I would recommend anyone seek out The Conversation (what you know about me and Terry_Clubbup's recent Gene Hackman marathon).

• Loved it. As good as true crime gets.

Downey was great, but is it me or does he play the exact same character every time.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Definitely a great San Francisco as Character film, I would recommend those who liked Zodiac should seek out The Conversation.

I would recommend anyone seek out The Conversation (what you know about me and Terry_Clubbup's recent Gene Hackman marathon).

Incredible movie, it's also known for it's groundbreaking sound design.
    I haven't seen Zodiac, they screened it at my work on Friday, I was too damn busy though. I'll make sure to take some time out for it this week.

Robert Downey Jr. is the man. I'm looking forward to Iron Man.

• Ruffalo and Downey handed in top tier performances. Jake (I'm not even going to attempt to spell his last name) was OK, but maybe layed on the dorkiness a little too thick. Maybe that's just how the guy (the cartoonist/author not the actor) is in real life though? I didn't even recognize Chloe Sevigny. There were so many things that I really dug in this movie. Ample use of sweet soul on the soundtrack being among them. But for real though, one of the few films of recent years that I will watch a second time.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Poseidon Adventure is unfadeable.

My personal favorite is his performance in Get Shorty.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I watched "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" the other night because I was bored and it came on TV and I thought Robert Downey Jr. was amazing in that movie. Dude is dude for real. Val Kilmer was really good in that film as well.

I'll go see Zodiac.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I heard that was good. I think Downey actually has great range for someone with such a well-known public story. I'd loved his bit in Wonder Boys which I should have put in my top ten films. He may wind up being one of the great comeback stories of all time.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah it was entertaining, a very funny film. I laughed out loud at lots of parts.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

The Conversation is probably one of my top ten films of all time. Amazing. And I would have to say that Gene Hackman s definitely a contender for GOAT in my book, no hyperbole.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Vertigo, too