School me on some hip-hop albums (post 98)

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So you heard all of the albums I put up, and only liked one? Not two, not five, not even 10, but one?

i've heard most of em and most of em were boring. sorry. just one man's opinion.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Don't we have this thread every other week and everybody posts the same records? yes, there are a lot of great rap records being made still

Blackalicious - NIA
    Blackalicious-Nia
    what didn't you like about Blackalicious' "Nia"??

definitely one of my favorites from the last 7 years.

i absolutely loved melodica and thought A2G was pretty good as well (despite gimmicky - that alphabet cut and the "dont let money change you" one were offset by the others where gab just ripped shit), but i can distinctly remember being distinctly let down by this record (and the exact moment in time when i realized that quannum was no longer making records for me). with the exception of the one joint about the angel or whatever with the electro beat and a few A2G cuts, it was pretty unlistenable by the numbers backpack rap. i'm convinced gab's consciously restrained his style since that record.

i think i have this on double lp somewhere if someone needs a copy.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

i absolutely love melodica

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    actually I bought Gab's solo album. That shit is a dope fucking album, Jake One and Vitamin D's seem to push Gab into making some dope shit.

and some you dudes album decision is garbage. Somebody put up Busdriver? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense? And somebody crossed out like the "unseen" joint? whatever mayne...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    and some you dudes album decision is garbage. Somebody put up Busdriver? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense? And somebody crossed out like the "unseen" joint? whatever mayne...

yes i like busdriver and no i don't like quasimodo. i think they'd both fall in the 'acquired taste' category. one i fuck with the other i don't.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    and i will say that, in my experience, real world folks (talking non backpacker message board types) are more likely to instantly enjoy "imaginary places" than anything in quas' backcatalog

and i will say that, in my experience, real world folks (talking non backpacker message board types) are more likely to instantly enjoy "imaginary places" than anything in quas' backcatalog

what's imaginary places? and Mr. Blog-on-the-internet, don't put me in the category as one of those "message board backpack type".

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    got this one here?

Da Grass roots

YEAH! I thought it was pretty good, a few "so-so tracks" but I remember playing a lot of those joints on college radio

BUT YO! I reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallly still like the two singles off of that album, that second got crazy love from me.
    i'm with you on this...
    what album cuts can people recommend from this? cause all i heard were some so-so's (but definitely felt the singles).

that Mr. Roam project that was posted looks interesting.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hey koing, you hear the diego redd stuff out of fresno? seriously, its pretty good. there's a connection between kanye and "the no" and diego uses that boost mobile beat on one of his tracks. this shit is hot in fresno right now. dont make fun.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    what's imaginary places? and Mr. Blog-on-the-internet, don't put me in the category as one of those "message board backpack type".

imaginary places = busdriver. but you would probably already know that since you were speaking on that record and how terrible it is, right?

i didn't mean message board in a derrogitory way. i just mean that internet people and backpacker types seem to love quasimoto but all the other people i know "in the world" seem to respond better to "imaginary places".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Not for nothing man the last time I even heard Busdriver was in a car, and all four people except the driver (including myself) were like, PLEASE TURN THIS OFF

That shit is nails on a chalkboard hommie, I know plenty of non-digging types into madlib, I know 0 into Busdriver.

But then, you don't really know the industry like I do... all is forgiven

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yo, don't you ever in your life make that mistake about Young Phonics--my man is a straight real world backpack type!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Not for nothing man the last time I even heard Busdriver was in a car, and all four people except the driver (including myself) were like, PLEASE TURN THIS OFF

That shit is nails on a chalkboard hommie, I know plenty of non-digging types into madlib, I know 0 into Busdriver.

i'm not talking about busdrivers entire catalog. like i said before he's an acquired taste and he's made a lot of downright unlistenable music (as has quas). but in general, the record i posted is by far his most digestable and restrained work. and everyone i know who has heard the particular song i'm talking about, has responded positively to it. something i cannot say for any of quas' catalog.

but yeah, speaking on what's more marketable busdriver or quasimoto is a bit absurd.

But then, you don't really know the industry like I do... all is forgiven

plaese to school me on the industry one day?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Ugly Duckling - "Journey To Anywhere"
    Brother Ali - "Shadows on the sun"
    Saigon - "Warning Shots"

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    A-HA! i found mp3-age of the dude diego redd. the hot joint is "in the no" with that born to roll interpolation. shit is burning up the central valley. i mean it!

NICKEL NICKEL 9!

Some that I have not seen mentioned which I think are very good... I think you might like them, too:

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts

Andrae Niktina "Daquari Factory"

As a guy who jumped on the Dre Dog bandwagon real late, this was the first shit I really sat down and listened to from him, and I was real impressed. Lots of dope cuts on here...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    got this one here?

Da Grass roots

Damn... All I have to say is.. When anyone hears I'm Canadian, they asked to be hooked up with the Drama 12-inch for Elemental. Or E-Z on tha Motion...

I should have put away a ton of those when I had a shit load of them.

I work with Nick... I know he's busy with LAL

Yo, don't you ever in your life make that mistake about Young Phonics--my man is a straight real world backpack type!

THATS WORD! I earned my backpack stripes by buying Raw Produce and Triflicts 12's, DAMIT! UNSPOKEN HEARD POR VIDA!

but yeah, sorry for jumping real quick like, but when I think of "internet message board types" I think of cornballs who got into hip hop in college or who only just like Edan, Quasimoto and whatever else hip-hop that rock magazines decided to coverage on.

BUT HOMIE! Your baromter ("everyone I know likes Bus-Driver") isn't going to cut it, you may persoanlly enjoy his music but I won't be coping a new Bus 12'' anytime soon.

Probally one of my fav. rappers in the past few years, but I still don't own a single album. Just 12'''s (BTW I needs that new "pimpin' around the world")

Probally one of my fav. rappers in the past few years, but I still don't own a single album. Just 12'''s (BTW I needs that new "pimpin' around the world")

This is the most solid one--afterwards, he began his gradual progression towards clownishness. I also think this record might surprise you if you listened to it front-to-back. It's clear to me from hearing it that Chris Bridges is a serious rap nerd.

This is the most solid one--afterwards, he began his gradual progression towards clownishness. I also think this record might surprise you if you listened to it front-to-back. It's clear to me from hearing it that Chris Bridges is a serious rap nerd.

YUP! I could totally tell and it has probally made him a better rapper who picks good beats. I even thought the same (the rap nerd thing-not the talent thing) for *snicker* Nelly and his band of clowns.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    my top late 90s hip hop records (i guess 98-99) that i can think of right now:

slum village - fantastic vol 2

mf doom - operation doomsday

lootpack - soundpieces

scaramanga - seven eyes, seven horns

dj premier - presents ny reality check 101