Do As Al Gore Says, Not As He Does(NRR)

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    it is not debatable, sorry.
    climate change is real, kids. al gore isn't.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This is the dumbest political argument on the 'strut ever. I'm sure we could all go find partisan articles with ridiculous claims that have next to nothing to do with the real issue.

Whether you hate Al Gore or not, he has raised the profile of this issue, but obviously some people and websites would rather ignore the issue and go out of their way to 'prove' he's a hypocrit. In the end, he has done a lot, even if he isn't living in a solar house or riding a bike to speaking engagements.

Also, using 'average household' as the comparison does not make sense. He's got a big landmark house, so what. I bet he has 5 times the amount of energy star appliances than the average house. I bet he talks about global warming 20x more than the average vice president. Is any of this relevant???

I expect this bullshit from Saba, but Rock's stuff it usually slightly better thought out.

Gore hasn't done a damn thing himself to change his lifestyle??

Prove It.

• I'm saying go ahead and get the laws changed

it just seems so easy to make that change

What country do you live in???

you got a point, but that doesn't mean a guy with as much political weight as Gore has can't throw a bit of it around, especially when it comes to a cause he has become the face of.

yo let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here. I mean, I may be wrong but I don't think historical mansions are a statistically significant contributer of greenhouse emissions such that Gore needs to throw his weight behind that cause.

Exactly. I bet at least 1 time per year, even Al Gore throws out an aluminum can- does that mean he no longer cares?????

This is the DUMBEST, most pointlessly distracting line of argument taking us away from the real issue- Climate Change.

But doesn't the fact that Al could lead by example mean anything? I mean, Al could live anywhere he wants. And like it or not, he is the figure head for the environmental movement.

This is pure Do as I say, not as I do mentality.

If this was anyone else on any number of subjects, everyone would be calling them a hypocrite and would lose respect for.

The subject is not global warming and the impact on the world. It's why does he get to preach to people when he's not leading by example.

Like, damn... If this was a preacher and he was telling everyone not to sin, but behind the scenes was living like prostitute. Would he be alright? As long as he was saving everyone else's soul?

Dude, every preacher in the world sins- and they tell it to the congregation. bad example.

And, for the millionth time- the debate should NEVER be, 'well, why does al gore get to tell us about global warming if he still lives in an ungreen house?' because it shouldn't be about al gore. it is about the environment. when you make this about al gore, the congrats- nothing will ever get done.

and, what if al gore gives extra money, time, work, carbon credits etc. to make up for the pollution he causes? we have pretty solid evidence that he believes in just that, as he did on his movie.

like i said. if you make this about al gore, its not the terrorists who win- but the neofuckingconmorons.
    you don't have to agree, but at least engage in a worthwhile debate. this is beyond a waste of time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Sorry to those who are tired of this topic coming up....truth is you don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with YOUR agenda, including the fact that the most recognized leader of the Global Warming movement is a hypocrite and a liar.

For those of you who forgot or never read it here I have been in the Environmental Science business for 25+ years, have patents that helped reduce the amount of pesticides used on our planet, have worked with numerous groups who's focus is cleaning up the environment including Green Seal, Blue/Green, Eco-Logo and the current Design For Environment branch of the EPA.

I have worked on the development of polymers that will help clean up oil spills on water and in soil. And yes, I've been paid fairly well for doing so, but not nearly as much as I would have if I had gone to work for any number of the major Oil Companies.

So unless you have done more, don't question MY contributions.

As far as my SUV and gas consumption goes why would you point a finger at me while giving Jackass Gore a pass. As far as you know I'm just as rich and "important" as he is.

Truth is the last two vehicle's I purchased were small(Mini Cooper) and somewhat gas efficient(BMW 325i)and I have reduced my energy consumption. My family drives 1,500 miles a week for school and work (OK for digging too)

And the ONE point of my original post, the ONE thing that no one here can defend is NOT how much energy Gore uses for his big home. It's not how much Gas he uses. It's not even that his home is POSSIBLY exempt from Environmental updates due to Historic status.

The ONE point that none of you seemed to mention was that while you and me have been asked to reduce our energy consumption, Gore has actually INCREASED his.

The point of my post was that he is a pathetic hypocrite that many look at as a "hero". Sorry if I bursted yet another left wing idol balloon.

And if you want to take the Global Warming argument any further I ask you simply do one thing.

Explain how and why the earth has been through 6-7 Ice Ages and how, if we stopped using ALL forms of energy tomorrow, we would avoid another.

I am for, and have spent most of my life trying to clean up our environment.

I am against hypocritical buffoons like Al Gore using his political platform to make people believe they will die if we don't.

He's a sham.......an obviously some of you have bought in to his rhetoric.

I won't.

And every time he is exposed for the hypocrite that he is, I will report it here.

Based on his track record, I'd get used to it.

• I'm saying go ahead and get the laws changed

it just seems so easy to make that change

What country do you live in???

you got a point, but that doesn't mean a guy with as much political weight as Gore has can't throw a bit of it around, especially when it comes to a cause he has become the face of.

yo let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here. I mean, I may be wrong but I don't think historical mansions are a statistically significant contributer of greenhouse emissions such that Gore needs to throw his weight behind that cause.

Exactly. I bet at least 1 time per year, even Al Gore throws out an aluminum can- does that mean he no longer cares?????

This is the DUMBEST, most pointlessly distracting line of argument taking us away from the real issue- Climate Change.

But doesn't the fact that Al could lead by example mean anything?

Not to me, not with this, no.

Gore is NOT a preacher, he's not any of that stuff, he is an ex-politician who has decided to throw his celebrity and his effort behind a good cause.

If Gore secretly ran a company that cut down rainforests, or a firm that fed money to big oil or something... then I would be upset. Betrayed. But this?

Let he who bikes to work, recycles all possible materials, rips out his wires, installs solar panels, and supports small independent farms cast the first stone.

He could do more. So could you all of us.

But doesn't the fact that Al could lead by example mean anything? I mean, Al could live anywhere he wants. And like it or not, he is the figure head for the environmental movement.

This is pure Do as I say, not as I do mentality.

If this was anyone else on any number of subjects, everyone would be calling them a hypocrite and would lose respect for.

The subject is not global warming and the impact on the world. It's why does he get to preach to people when he's not leading by example.

Like, damn... If this was a preacher and he was telling everyone not to sin, but behind the scenes was living like prostitute. Would he be alright? As long as he was saving everyone else's soul?

Your ignoring the question though, you say he's not leading by example, but how do you know? Because he's got a big house and fly's in private jets? Even if he didnt, there would always be something. My guess, and guesses are all anyones expressed in this thread, is he does what he can, just like any of us can. To call him a figurehead, just to tear him down as a hypocrite is intellectually dishonest. What are you doing posting on a message board when you could be out saving baby seals? Who are you, or anyone to judge. His actions prompted this discussion.

Hypocrite...

• Fine, Rock.

I won't listen to Gore on this topic until he is doing all he can. AND, I won't listen to your horseshit until you do all you can and give up the family fleet of SUV's that YOU POSTED ON HERE.

When you do that, I'll give a shit about your 'vast environmental background,' and all you are doing to save us from ourselves. but, until then, you're just a hypocrit like Gore.

Jonny....do you know how Gore's father made his fortune????

Do you know what company Al Gore, while in office, helped sell our oil reserves to at a reduced price??

It's the same company that Al Gore sat on the board of for many years.

Fine, Rock.

I won't listen to Gore on this topic until he is doing all he can. AND, I won't listen to your horseshit until you do all you can and give up the family fleet of SUV's that YOU POSTED ON HERE.

When you do that, I'll give a shit about your 'vast environmental background,' and all you are doing to save us from ourselves. but, until then, you're just a hypocrit like Gore.

I posted ONE photo here.....it was Mini Cooper, A BMW and Dodge Durango and a Jeep Cherokee(I have 4 drivers in my family)....if you call that a "Fleet of SUV's" you are mistaken.

If I DID believe Al's bullshit, I'd sell every car and go back to riding a motorcycle exclusively.

I'm a lot closer to this issue than most, and I can tell you that it's MY opinion and the opinion of many other learned people that the contribution humans make to climate change/global warming is miniscule.

What have YOU done to help???

• Dude, Rich - you're sounding very mad doggie right now. It comes off as a petty beef, not a legit difference.

That said, can you explain to me how you're the lone fish swimming upstream on this? If the overwhelming body of scientific evidence suggests one thing, how are you going to, with a straight face, tell a bunch of strangers that they've all got it wrong and you've got the truth?

I'm not claiming to be any expert. I want to do the right thing. I could give less than a fuck what Gore does.

And I have to say that I agree with the idea that the cost of doing something is a lot less than the cost of doing nothing.

b/w

Occidental Petroleum Company

Bonus Beat:

So how important is domestic drilling?

I think the question is what has Al Gore done to help, and the answer, if i'm not mistaken, is make a movie and get lots of people talking about the issue. Now if you think the issue is bullshit than say it and back it up with relevant facts. Who the fuck cares about Al Gore's house's energy consumption. We are all hypocrites on this issue, cause no one could possibly do EVERYTHING to help. Just don't play that whole, I'm close to the issue, and i think its bullshit, and thats why I care about his house. Just keep making a difference and keep the weak ass smears out on the far reaches of internet where they belong.

• Fine, Rock.

I posted ONE photo here.....it was Mini Cooper, A BMW and Dodge Durango and a Jeep Cherokee(I have 4 drivers in my family)....if you call that a "Fleet of SUV's" you are mistaken.

If I DID believe Al's bullshit, I'd sell every car and go back to riding a motorcycle exclusively.

I'm a lot closer to this issue than most, and I can tell you that it's MY opinion and the opinion of many other learned people that the contribution humans make to climate change/global warming is miniscule.

What have YOU done to help???

Rock, what are you doing about our fossil fuel crisis?

There are many learned individuals who disagree with you and your posse, and i'm pretty close to them- growing up the son of a geologist and grandson of environmental engineer, both of whom disagree with you.

but, let's say they're both wrong- great. i'll have hedged my bets for nothing. But, let's say you're wrong- GAME OVA! Are you willing to take that risk? well, apparently.

As for what I'm doing, I live in a family with 2 drivers- but only one car. It happens to be the highest rated 4door car for fuel efficiency on the market (non-hybrid class.) We choose to live in places where we can live on 1 car and transportation only. we replaced all lightbulbs in our house with the more expensive, energy effiecient models. i also started my office's recycling program when they didn't have one.
    i take the envirnonment into the decisions i make everyday. often? i choose wrong, i'm sure. but i always try.

I'm not claiming to be al gore. but, I'm trying, and making changes. and that is what the man is asking. but, you lose sight of that over the most trivial facts...

Jonny...if you're interested, one day, over a beer and face to face I'll explain my views.

I'll tell you about the environmental legislation that has been passed and could be passed in the future that would be detrimental.

Idealists have no trouble siding with environmental stewardship while opposing what they percieve as "evil big business".

The truth is there has to be a balance that's beneficial to both if you want to continue to live in a growing country with a growing economy.

I'd prefer domestic drilling over middle eastern dependency and subsequent war.

I support alternative energy sources over both of the above.

Rock, what are you doing about our fossil fuel crisis?

This really sounds like a resume, I'm available for the right price btw.

My company is the leader in the treatment of the new Bio-Diesel fuels for sulphur and emission reduction, although I myself have not worked on this project.

I've reduced my electric bill(something the Gorester has not been able to accomplish)by installing energy efficient windows in a home I bought 2 years ago.

As my older vehicles wear out, I fully intend on replacing them with more fuel efficient ones.

But honestly these are driven more by economics than my fear of extinction.

This thread had one purpose and that was to expose Gore for the slimy, sleazy politician that he is.

Just like the threads that appear here quite often that expose the RIGHT WING sleazy, slimy politicians.

His method, in my opinion, was the equivilent of telling people that they should abstain from sex or else they would get AIDS and die.

Sure stopping AIDS is a noble cause, and if everyone stopped having sex it would help decrease the disease, but would anyone here support THAT kind of rhetoric??

• Jonny...if you're interested, one day, over a beer and face to face I'll explain my views.

I'll tell you about the environmental legislation that has been passed and could be passed in the future that would be detrimental.

Idealists have no trouble siding with environmental stewardship while opposing what they percieve as "evil big business".

The truth is there has to be a balance that's beneficial to both if you want to continue to live in a growing country with a growing economy.

I'd prefer domestic drilling over middle eastern dependency and subsequent war.

I support alternative energy sources over both of the above.

That's straight talk Rich. I look forward to it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Look,

I'm not debating if global warming is real or not. Anyone with a touch of sense knows that humans need to do more to fight any great number of issues when it comes to the environment. I've always believed in Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I've refused to buy a car. Not because I can't afford one, but because I don't need one.

The point is, if this is about the environment then fine. No one man is bigger than this issue. He doesn't get a pass because he brings great attention to the subject.

By definition alone on this subject he is a hypocrite.

hyp??o??crite

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

If this was a republican, most of you wouldn't give him an ounce of credibility. Even if the dude was talking from the heart.

• Big Deal. He isnt running for anything, there is not a race to withhold our vote for him from; He didnt promise anything and now that this big ass power bill has come out of the woodwork, nothing we were promised is going to fall short now...big deal, a political figurehead got caught not doing what he said he would do. big deal.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    i am not defending anyone here. im just sayin, do we know what goes on at his compound? does his mansion also work as his business? does he have a lot of equipment up in there for the purpose of filmaking, etc? so he has a huge electricity bill, but do we know he ISNT using those eco bulbs? or that the electricity is purely for AC and making sure the lights are on so no burglers try to break in? sure, we can all do better - but hey hasnt this guy done a lot to bring attention to the bigger issue on a much larger scale? im not saying give this guy a free pass but yo we dont know what that energy is being used for do we? shouldnt we let the guy respond to this before crossing him off the xmas list? or maybe i missed the post were guzzo broke into his house to find out.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Shoot the messenger. Classic right wing strategy. And wrap it up in a "Center for Research Policy Institute" package. Oooh, that sounds so fancy and academic!

Here's the Tennesse Center for Policy Research's "Guarantee of Quality Scholarship".

Ha!

Anyways...

TCPR is a member of the State Policy Network, a coalition of over 40 state-level, free market institutes across the country...receiving grants from the National Center for Policy Analysis. NCPA is funded by--SURPRISE--pharmaceutical, energy and auto manufacturing companies and their respective foundations.

These so called think tanks are merely propaganda wings of these corporations. It's sad when people try to pass themselves off as free thinkers while spewing this nonsense like it has a shred of merit.

It's like telling me that a Dodge Ram is the best truck EVAR based on your extensive research on GM's website.

Oh and N-O-B-O-D-Y G-I-V-E-S A F-U-C-K A-B-O-U-T A-L G-O-R-E!!!

Look,

I'm not debating if global warming is real or not... By definition alone on this subject he is a hypocrite.

hyp??o??crite

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
    2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

If this was a republican, most of you wouldn't give him an ounce of credibility. Even if the dude was talking from the heart.

One More Time, just for Dor...

Your ignoring the question though, you say he's not leading by example, but how do you know? Because he's got a big house and fly's in private jets? Even if he didnt, there would always be something. My guess, and guesses are all anyones expressed in this thread, is he does what he can, just like any of us can. To call him a figurehead, just to tear him down as a hypocrite is intellectually dishonest. What are you doing posting on a message board when you could be out saving baby seals? Who are you, or anyone to judge. His actions prompted this discussion.

Hypocrite...

Did you respond to anything I said or just resort to name calling? Fine, we're all just partisan, and Gore's a hypocrite. So again, what are you basing this on? Bill Gates speaks out against poverty and lives in a 200 million dollar house. Do you just dislike Gore that much that you'll jump on some supposed "fact?" Despite your apparent environmental 'credentials,' I still have no idea what you're basing your opinion that Gore's a hypocrite on?

• I'm sure we could all go find partisan articles with ridiculous claims that have next to nothing to do with the real issue.

just do a soulsearch search for "fatback" and you'll find lots of that.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=345
    from the same people who brought you "al gore is a fucking hypocrit!" comes "fuck the poor! i don't wanna pay more for my milkshake...dammit!"
    tcpr smell like repubiclikers to me.

• Shoot the messenger. Classic right wing strategy. And wrap it up in a "Center for Research Policy Institute" package. Oooh, that sounds so fancy and academic!

Here's the Tennesse Center for Policy Research's "Guarantee of Quality Scholarship".

Ha!

Anyways...

TCPR is a member of the State Policy Network, a coalition of over 40 state-level, free market institutes across the country...receiving grants from the National Center for Policy Analysis. NCPA is funded by--SURPRISE--pharmaceutical, energy and auto manufacturing companies and their respective foundations.

These so called think tanks are merely propaganda wings of these corporations. It's sad when people try to pass themselves off as free thinkers while spewing this nonsense like it has a shred of merit.

It's like telling me that a Dodge Ram is the best truck EVAR based on your extensive research on GM's website.

Oh and N-O-B-O-D-Y G-I-V-E-S A F-U-C-K A-B-O-U-T A-L G-O-R-E!!!

hahaha, you dumb shit. You scorn the practice of "shooting the messenger" then immediately do exactly that. You dislike the claim so simply ascribe it to insidious motives before dismissing it as false. The fallacy youve commited is know by us smart people as circumstantial ad hominem.

• http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=345
    from the same people who brought you "al gore is a fucking hypocrit!" comes "fuck the poor! i don't wanna pay more for my milkshake...dammit!"
    tcpr smell like repubiclikers to me.

The article talks about the adverse effects that the minimum wage can have. These effects being typically felt most keenly by the poorest in society.

1. Increased prices are obviously more significant the less money you have

2. You dont make a mans labour worth A by making it illegal to pay him less than A. If an individuals skills are so low as to make the value of his labour $6 an hour then by setting the wage floor at $7 an hour youve essentially outlawed his employment. So the minimum wage is not only a flagrant breach of the constitution it also harms the most vulnerable in society. Still, as long as it make people feel good about themselves for advocating it.

• Oh, and catostrophic global warming is a myth propogated by socialists. Dont none of you bitches talk about the "science"(which you havent read and wouldnt understand even if you did) or make any appeals to authority about the imaginary consensus. You will be prompty crushed if you do.

But the Spend-O-Meter is top notch no?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm sure we could all go find partisan articles with ridiculous claims that have next to nothing to do with the real issue.

just do a soulsearch search for "fatback" and you'll find lots of that.

too bad you can't really debate this issue or any for that matter. and i started to have some respect for you. all you can do is make fun of Gore's appearance. then your comment about how dems hate the free market or whatever.

the gop loves the free market too. especially the socially conservative base that has been keeping them in power. it's so convenient to have the cause of the nation's moral collapse and the solution within your own agenda.

Look,

I'm not debating if global warming is real or not... By definition alone on this subject he is a hypocrite.

hyp??o??crite

One More Time, just for Dor...

Hypocrite...

Did you respond to anything I said or just resort to name calling? Fine, we're all just partisan, and Gore's a hypocrite. So again, what are you basing this on? Bill Gates speaks out against poverty and lives in a 200 million dollar house. Do you just dislike Gore that much that you'll jump on some supposed "fact?" Despite your apparent environmental 'credentials,' I still have no idea what you're basing your opinion that Gore's a hypocrite on?

I don't think using Bill is a good choice. Since the dude does lead by example. His foundation alone has put aside almost 30 billion for global health and learning. Damn, the dude put up $28 million just the other day to go along with Canada's $111 million to work on a Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative.

And yes, I dislike Gore. There are so many reasons not to trust the guy. But that's not just the reason. There are a ton of people out there who would be a wayyyy better pick IMO to be putting your support and trust behind on the subject of environmental issues. Being Canadian, I would ride all day long for someone like David Suzuki. Who has spent most of his life speaking on the cause and living by example.

For anyone who doesn't know who the man is!

But whatever, if you want to put your faith into someone who is telling you how imperative it is to do something now and that drastic measures must be taken. And that doesn't do it himself and is in fact increasing his usage. Then hey, by all means...

• i started to have some respect for you.

I'm glad I nipped that one in the bud.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm with Rick on this one.

If you look past politics and agenda, then the fact is that we are currently in a warm phase of the current ice age. Many people feel that we are on the cusp of (or already in) the next cold phase. It's predicted that global temperatures will actually decrease in the next decades. This is consistent with climate change dating back hundreds of years.

The sun should not be dismissed in this discussion. It's a key factor in understanding how Earth temperatures fluctuate.

Why were there climate conditions identical (and even far warmer, if you want to get into it) to the current one, when there wasn't any fossil fuel being burned?

There is a lot of misinformation abound regarding the issue. Data reduction, scare tactics, etc... In my opinion this is not the way to properly address and/or approach the issue. Fossil fuel burning is only one factor of pollution. It's not the be all and end all.

For instance, if growth erosion wasn't such an issue, a lot of the CO2 would never go into the air. From a biological point of view, CO2 actually benefits plants.

Now, in regards to the often mentioned but-scientists-all-over-the-world-agree argument. Just because a group of individuals believe something to be true, does not mean it is true. And let's face it, in the context of science history, the percieved notion of a given time is often incorrect.

Remember when almost every knowledgable individual on Earth was convinced that Earth was the center of the universe. Or that it was flat? Or when the Wright brothers were ridiculed for even suggesting "heavier than air flight?"

You can see where I'm going with this.

All I ask is that people take the current consensus with a grain of salt.

And to close, I'm an environmentalist myself so please don't take the content of this as anti-environmental. I personally feel there are far greater issues that need addressing rather than CO2 emissions. The scare tacticts currently being spouted are NOT the way to address environmental issues. There needs to be a healthy discussion, not just some blatant indoctrination of "facts".