What are you drinking tonight?

13»

Comments

• Msrs. Danno and Chan - you two are gentlemen with excellent tastes. Oddly enough, my girl gave me a bottle of MacCallan for valentines day, and admitting that she didn't know the first thing about scotch, we lined up the Talisker, MacCallan and Laphroiag to give her a little primer after dinner (She liked the MacCallan, the other two, not so much. The Talisker has always been a favorite of mine.)

Danno - the Negroni Sbagliato is, for me, a bit better aperitivo, since there is a slightly lower alcohol content, and a bit of bubble in it. I'm not a vodka man, but some friends, swear by the 'Negrusso' - subsituting vodka for the gin.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Danno - the Negroni Sbagliato is, for me, a bit better aperitivo, since there is a slightly lower alcohol content, and a bit of bubble in it. I'm not a vodka man, but some friends, swear by the 'Negrusso' - subsituting vodka for the gin.

I agree; the alcohol content of a Negroni makes it a mediocre aperitif. I prefer them as cocktails in the afternoon and mostly in the summer.

I don't like the idea of substituting vodka for the gin. For me, the pleasure of a Negroni is its intensely herbal, almost medicinal quality and so I want the gin to be there. Of course, it's also this quality that makes many people hate Negronis. Their loss!