The Funky Penguin in Barcelona - Pics and Mix!

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
My two worlds collided for a week of work, fun and music at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona last week. I was there presenting my company's platform as well as DJing our party. It was my first trip to Europe and needless to say, I want to go back... often!I went to an FC Barcelona match, visited the Sagrada Familia, went digging at Wah Wah, ate the best meals of my life and partied at some incredible clubs.My company threw a party on the second day of the show that I DJ'd. The theme was the Funky Penguin. Guess who's idea that was?! I played 4 hours of banging funk and soul that was as well received as it's ever been. People couldn't believe that I was an employee of the company and not a professional DJ. I was getting offers to play events all over and one guy even said I played the best music he's ever heard! I guess the European corporate crowd is a little different than the San Jose club crowd. Who knew? :-)On the weekend before I left, I recorded a Microwave set to hand out as a promo CD to employees of my company and attendees of our party. I now present to you that mix in mp3 format of course.Download the Funky Penguin!The Funky PenguinMy stageGetting filmed by the 3GSM camera crewRocking the house!Bartenders juggle drinks, I juggle recordsOutside view of our party at the boothCorporate crowd straight loving it!Booth babes galore :-)At work in the boothIt's true... Linux is now mobileOne of the many best meals everOutside the massive FCB stadiumRonaldinho scored TWO goals in front of usComing out of Wah Wah with some recordsMy favorite girl in Barcelona at my favorite bar in BarcelonaToo bad my 'woot' face looks retardedThe towers of Sagrada FamiliaInside Sagrada FamiliaIn front of the full scale modelBirds eye view from the top of Sagrada FamiliaGaudi's architecture is amazingAnother incredible Gaudi building

Comments

• Nice pix are you from Sweeden?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Nice pix are you from Sweeden?

Nope... I'm a half Irish half Italian American

• Nice pix are you from Sweeden?

Nope... I'm a half Irish half Italian American

Then get a makeover!

ha I'm just funnin. Barca is the shit. Got in a bit of trouble there on some late night partyin steez.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Great pics! Where did you eat?

• What a trip! Is the mix going out on your podcast feed?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Can we get a set list up in this bitch?

Gracias, amigo!

• Thanks mayne!!

I still rock your Summer Soulstice mix from time to time when I need a taste of sunshine in these dark days of winter.

Hot dang this schitt is

Plaese to poast a set list up in this bidness.

Paece.
    Lee.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Plaese to poast a set list up in this bidness.

Glad to see the event go down well. I'll give a listen when I get home, but I'm sure this is heat as always.

Great pics! Where did you eat?

Not sure... all I know was that it was all quality! The one place in the pic was my favorite... just around the corner from my hotel. It was Brazilian style where they come out with choice meats on a skewer non stop. Si, I'll have all of that!

Thanks for the props on the mix... it is basically the latest podcast as I haven't had time to put anything else together. I'll have to give it another listen to piece together the tracklisting. Will get to that soon.

• Nice mix -- let's hope a payrise is in order (for the raer!)

• amir and i are playing there in april. cant wait.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    My two worlds collided for a week of work, fun and music at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona last week. I was there presenting my company's platform as well as DJing our party. It was my first trip to Europe and needless to say, I want to go back... often!

I went to an FC Barcelona match, visited the Sagrada Familia, went digging at Wah Wah, ate the best meals of my life and partied at some incredible clubs.

My company threw a party on the second day of the show that I DJ'd. The theme was the Funky Penguin. Guess who's idea that was?! I played 4 hours of banging funk and soul that was as well received as it's ever been. People couldn't believe that I was an employee of the company and not a professional DJ. I was getting offers to play events all over and one guy even said I played the best music he's ever heard! I guess the European corporate crowd is a little different than the San Jose club crowd. Who knew? :-)
    I envy you.

Nice mix, BTW.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I envy you.
    looks like a great time.

woot woot!!

i'll check the mix soon

• HOT SHIT B! i only got a quarter of the way through and i have to head out, but i'll be back!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    First DJ to see spinning with pleated chinos on.

• First DJ to see spinning with pleated chinos on.

Dockers my friend. They hide a multitude of sins.

First DJ to see spinning with pleated chinos on.

Ha... I had no time to change between booth duty and DJing

Here's the tracklisting...

Rufus Thomas - Funky Penguin
    Clarence Reid - Masterpiece
    Isley Brothers - Work to Do
    Sisters Love - Give me Your Love
    Tony Newman - Soul Thing
    Sylers - We Can Make It If We Try
    Charles Wright - Express Yourself
    Freda Payne - Unhooked Generation
    Laura Lee - Crumbs Off the Table
    Nite-Liters - Dreams to Remember
    Jackson Five - I Want You Back (Z Trip Remix)
    Sleeve - My Life
    DJ Day - Outro
    Poets of Rhythm - More Mess on my Thing
    The Meters - I Need More Time
    The Supremes - Love the One You're With
    Gene Chandler - In My Body's House
    Honey & the Bees - Love Addict
    Johnny Cameron - Funky John
    Dap Kings - Nervous Like Me
    Bar-Kays - Holy Ghost
    John Ellison - You've Got to Have Rhythm
    Explosions - Garden of Four Trees
    Cool Sounds - Where Do We Go From Here
    Eddie Kendricks - Someday We'll have a Better World
    DJ Day - What Planet What Station
    Jackson Sisters - I Believe in Miracles
    Quantic - Sound of Everything
    Shirley Bassey - Spinning Wheel (DJ Spinna Remix)
    Sergio Mendes - Superstition
    Funk Shone - Purification
    James Brown - Get Up Offa That Thing
    Joseph Henry - Who's the King
    Unaio Black - Been so Long
    Exit 9 - Fly
    Christy Essien - Rumours
    Fred Hughes - Don't Let This Happen To Us
    Skull Snaps - I'm Your Pimp
    Erma Franklin - Change my Thoughts From You
    Nicole Willis - If This Ain't Love
    Sharon Jones - Just Dropped In
    Joe Bataan - Cycles of You
    Curtis Mayfield - Move on Up

Dope! A VP just stopped by my desk and told me that I'm getting a $500 bonus for my performance at the conference. Apparently the Japanese owners have been raving about the party and my music non stop!

I also got another corporate gig at the CTIA Wireless conference in Orlando next month. Awesome

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    damn, day made it twice in the mix, should get royalties, nice mix

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    downloading right now, thanks for this I*an your podcasts have been hot fiyah.

• nice deal ferrari...looks and sounds like a lot of fun.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Dope! A VP just stopped by my desk and told me that I'm getting a $500 bonus for my performance at the conference. Apparently the Japanese owners have been raving about the party and my music non stop!

I also got another corporate gig at the CTIA Wireless conference in Orlando next month. Awesome

HOTSCHITT! deserved, heat wall to wall.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    great mix!
    keep up the good work

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Nice pix are you from Sweeden?

If my calculations are correct, the entire country of Sweden will in fact be living in Barcelona by 2012.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    dude....
    nice mix...many thanks...bumping it now.

I was in Barcelona 'bout 18 years ago (oh shit....time doth fly), and it is easily one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. Looks like the Familia has made little progress since i was there , and that would be pretty well along the lines of what Gaudi seemed to want. Hand by hand work.....

also, I remember a long while ago that you posted about a horrible club night that you'd had playing in San Jose, that had really gutted you and had you doubting wether or not it was worth it to play good music in a world where fools don't appreciate. So I guess it's nice to see you playing good music and getting much appreciation, and a $500 bonus as well. Props to you.......

dude....
    nice mix...many thanks...bumping it now.

I was in Barcelona 'bout 18 years ago (oh shit....time doth fly), and it is easily one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. Looks like the Familia has made little progress since i was there , and that would be pretty well along the lines of what Gaudi seemed to want. Hand by hand work.....

also, I remember a long while ago that you posted about a horrible club night that you'd had playing in San Jose, that had really gutted you and had you doubting wether or not it was worth it to play good music in a world where fools don't appreciate. So I guess it's nice to see you playing good music and getting much appreciation, and a $500 bonus as well. Props to you.......

Thanks my man... yup, that was me a while back. I look at it now as a good bad experience. I was trying to force it. That made me realize I have to pick my battles and choose the right situations to do my thing. This was definitely the right situation... now I need to find more

So they're saying there's 30 years left of work on the Familia. It's amazing that every little detail is done to perfection on such a massive structure. They're definitely sticking to the original plan out of respect to Gaudi... as they most certainly should.

• Dope! A VP just stopped by my desk and told me that I'm getting a $500 bonus for my performance at the conference. Apparently the Japanese owners have been raving about the party and my music non stop!

BAM! Enjoy the extra cash and the trip to Orlando...

• I***,

I am really happy for you. (I'm also about to DL your mix!) I spent New Year's Y2K in Barcelona and had an incredible time--I was really moved by Gaudi's work, including everything you posted but also Parc Guell. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

And the $500 bonus you just got is just the icing on the cake (or in your case, the orange slice in the sangria).

??Felicitaciones!

Thanks R**s!

Wow... that must have been fun. I spent NYE Y2K waiting for the world to end

I unfortunately didn't have time to go to Parc Guell. I only had one free day after the conference before I left. I'll have to hit that up next time... and there will most certainly be a next time!

• Great mix.Post another one.