Post-HipHop Artists?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
K-OSPharrellMissy ElliotWyclef JeanKelisWill.I.Am/BEPGnarlys BarkeyI recently peeped the K-OS single and wondered who birthed this post hiphop/rockish/electronic/single/quasi-musician/mash-up/genreless style? Was is Lauryn w/ her HipHop/Neo Soul "what the hell is she music".Missy & Timbo? All these cats have been involved w/ "uncut hiphop"song (K-os exception) but really cant be catagorized by the HipHOp label, IMO. When did the concrete harden. Am i making weak connections? Was this already discussed? Just Yappin.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I officially have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

my guess is that you are still drunk from your b-day, in which case, post on brother!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ehh i dont see it
    it seems like lots of rap music started taking in other influences and genres, esp. circa the late 90s. Not to bring this up again but Missy Elliott is a rapper and raps over beats. It seems like the move to call her something other than hip-hop is just a backwards attempt to discredit her contributions to rap simply because corny pfork critics like it. Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

Maybe I'm just not understanding you. What makes a person rapping over beats not hip-hop?

gnarls barkley is trip-hop, haven't heard the new K-Os but back when he was rapping over soho's 'hot music' it still seemed like hip-hop to me.

Wyclef went from 'eclectic rapper' to cornball grammybait music producer ages ago.

isn't kelis just R&B?

With the producers it seems to me that they're largely 'pop producers' who are flexible enough to produce outside hip-hop (timbo, pharell, missy, will.i.am) so I guess you could call them 'post-hip-hop artists' as such. I wouldn't say they make 'post-hip-hop music' though, just hip-hop, R&B and pop.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

See this is where im stumped. That BEP/Fergie stuff is not "Straight Forward Hip Hop." It crazy derivative.
    GBarkey is derivative. Kelis is way different than Tamia. I would put em in the same boat.
    Feel free to shoot me down.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

See this is where im stumped. That BEP/Fergie stuff is not "Straight Forward Hip Hop." It crazy derivative.
    GBarkey is derivative. Kelis is way different than Tamia. I would put em in the same boat.

I added an edit to the bottom of my above post, btw
    the BEP stuff certainly is heavy on the R&B hooks and the multi-genre influences, but when was lots of rap music not like this? Fergie sounds like pop R&B to me. Sure there's the influence of electro or whatever 80s music she's biting, but that all sort of seems like an R&B subset - like "My Boo" might be miami bass but its basically R&B

I forget who was talking about this (I think it was in response to some corny article about how Irreplaceable was 'bringing back melodic R&B') but I remember reading someone talk about how whats been so exciting about R&B since hip-hop is that there's always this tension within the genre. Its between R&B that embraces hip-hop and has someone singing over what are essentially terse rap instrumentals (so 2 or 4 bar loops or whatever) that largely reject traditional song structure, and traditional song structures (i.e. "We Belong Together" and various ne-yo tracks). Hip-hop bcuz of the lyrical focus has no time for 'song structure,' really, no matter how much some jazz rap artists wish it did. So R&B has this strength of being even more omnivorous than hip-hop.

this is all kind of pedantic, depending on how broadly you define R&B i guess

• Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

I don't know, I would think these artists are considered hip hop/pop crossover. they are hip hop artists who've crossed over to straight up pop. doesn't mean they don't still make hip hop. i guess this is somewhat of a cop out explanation/excuse because "pop" is such a vague definition of a genre. i don't think there's another specific genre you can really pigeon hole these artists' recent work into. The only way I can see a connection between BEP, Kelis and Gnarls Barkley without saying hip hop would be to say they are making pop music.

they are making pop music.

ding ding ding!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'pop music' is not a genre really. there is no real consistency over what becomes popular other than lots of people like it. Usually when people call something 'pop' it means 'music lots of people like but i don't' or if they're like reformed anti-rockists or something, 'music lots of people like but i do too.' Either way its kind of meaningless as a genre descriptor.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    they are making pop music.

ding ding ding!

Which is sad because the Gnarls album and the K-os album had crazy potential to be amazing, but they went for a pop aestetic. Still good, but could have been way better.

So ya'll put Clay Aiken in the same catagory as Will.I.Am?

I would....

I'm not even saying that as a bad thing, i mean, it just is what it is...

• What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop. Whether pop is a genre or not is debatable and probably another discussion.

What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop.

Well that's what im kinda proposing. Maybe a label isnt needed but, to chalk them up to POP is laziness.

• What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop. Whether pop is a genre or not is debatable and probably another discussion.

pop is the pop genre of the moment. Right now Hip Hop number one.

What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop.

Well that's what im kinda proposing. Maybe a label isnt needed but, to chalk them up to POP is laziness.

What would you call boy bands and brittney spears and shit if not pop?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Its basically white folks doing R&B

• What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop.

Blue eyed soul

Yes there POP, but Kelis & Missy Elliot are a little bit more adventurous w/ their sound.

• What I was getting at, more or less, is that there is no real genre to classify these artists' recent work, so they are considered pop.

Yes there POP, but Kelis & Missy Elliot are a little bit more adventurous w/ their sound.

Laziness? Or just lack of a category to put them in? How about Adventure-Pop? Post-Modern Rap & Blues? Dance Music?? Or is dance music not really a genre like pop isn't really a genre?

Blue eyed soul

I don't think there's any soul involved in "Ooops, I did it again" whatsoever. In fact, she may have actually sold her soul to get to that point.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Let's just call it poop-hop

I mean pop-hop

How about Adventure-Pop?

I like it!

Or just lack of a category to put them in?

"Post Hip Hop"

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

gnarls barkley is trip-hop, haven't heard the new K-Os but back when he was rapping over soho's 'hot music' it still seemed like hip-hop to me.

Do people really still use "trip-hip"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

judgement night?

Do people really still use "trip-hip"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

"Trip Hop does not exist."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Do people really still use "trip-hop"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

Apparently deej does, which is too delicious.

"Trip-Hop" = rap-derived music made by and for people that are frightened of rappers.

Back when this term was in vogue and I heard someone use it, it was always a dead giveaway that anything further that person might have to say about music could safely be ignored... kind of like people that invoke "the four elements".

• gnarls barkley is trip-hop, haven't heard the new K-Os but back when he was rapping over soho's 'hot music' it still seemed like hip-hop to me.

Do people really still use "trip-hop"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

"Trip-Hop" = rap-derived music made by and for people that are frightened of rappers.

Back when this term was in vogue and I heard someone use it, it was always a dead giveaway that anything further that person might have to say about music could safely be ignored... kind of like people that invoke "the four elements".

You're right. But I don't think whatever Gnarles Barkley does could be remotely considered "trip-hop". Unless you also think every form of electronic music is "electronica".

It is an interesting point - who's pushing the boat out a little further?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

no i think you missed my point, 'trip hop' was intended as a dismissal of gnarls barkley for much of the same reasons you described.

there's more to it of course than just people being afraid of rappers; its also the attempt by british journalists to shoehorn some 'innovation' to their island where none really existed and they were just making coffeeshop hip-hop lite. (I do like jungle tho)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

no i think you missed my point, 'trip hop' was intended as a dismissal of gnarls barkley for much of the same reasons you described.

there's more to it of course than just people being afraid of rappers; its also the attempt by british journalists to shoehorn some 'innovation' to their island where none really existed and they were just making coffeeshop hip-hop lite. (I do like jungle tho)

^^^^^AS RECENTLY AS LAST YEAR PULLED OUT HIS CHERISHED MO' WAX HEADS 1 & 2 BOX SETS FOR VISITORS AND REFERRED TO THEM AS "THAT PROVERBIAL NEXT LEVEL"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i DO like early nightmares on wax