Post-HipHop Artists?

2»

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

gnarls barkley is trip-hop, haven't heard the new K-Os but back when he was rapping over soho's 'hot music' it still seemed like hip-hop to me.

Do people really still use "trip-hop"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

Apparently deej does, which is too delicious.

"Trip-Hop" = rap-derived music made by and for people that are frightened of rappers who can't rap.

Back when this term was in vogue and I heard someone use it, it was always a dead giveaway that anything further that person might have to say about music could safely be ignored... kind of like people that invoke "the four elements".

So you're saying more British people should rap????

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

gnarls barkley is trip-hop, haven't heard the new K-Os but back when he was rapping over soho's 'hot music' it still seemed like hip-hop to me.

Do people really still use "trip-hop"? That always struck me as being corny as "acid-jazz": ooh, it's hip-hop but it's all slow and trippy! Wee!

"Trip-Hop" = rap-derived music made by and for people that are frightened of rappers who can't rap.

Back when this term was in vogue and I heard someone use it, it was always a dead giveaway that anything further that person might have to say about music could safely be ignored... kind of like people that invoke "the four elements".

He is saying that you people should simply face up to the fact that your barren island will never contribute anything worthwhile to global culture.

And don't get mad at me--deej is the one that said it.

He is saying that you people should simply face up to the fact that your barren island will never contribute anything worthwhile to global culture.

And don't get mad at me--deej is the one that said it.

Well Deej has got me there. Hey at least I'm not Dutch.

• Hearing "post hip-hop" mentioned for the first time I immediately thought of Spank Rock. They do take hip-hop, electro and grittiness and twist it up for some true 2007 stuff.

Does anone else here like their things? I thought seeing them live was way better than their album. They did NOTHING on DATs or anything prerecorded, just two DJ's going off on some ridiculous mixing, while that skinny dude rapped, screamed and jumped around to it. Then they brought A-Trak out from backstage and all hell broke loose, juggling Peaches' "Fuck the Pain Away" sped up to 45!

One of the best concerts, if not the best, I went to last year.

- J

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hey hey hey i made no blanket statements about british music history, just british music journalism

also i hate peaches and spank rock is just rap. its not some new genre! rap has taken influences from 694893894 different genres for years, just because these dudes are using different ones and rapping on them doesn't make it post-rap

hey hey hey i made no blanket statements about british music history, just british music journalism

also i hate peaches and spank rock is just rap. its not some new genre! rap has taken influences from 694893894 different genres for years, just because these dudes are using different ones and rapping on them doesn't make it post-rap

But do rappers even rap anymore?

• ehh i dont see it
    it seems like lots of rap music started taking in other influences and genres, esp. circa the late 90s 70s when they started using old disco records to rap over , the early 80s when Run-DMC started using rock guitars, the early 90s.....

• Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

See this is where im stumped. That BEP/Fergie stuff is not "Straight Forward Hip Hop." It crazy derivative.
    GBarkey is derivative. Kelis is way different than Tamia. I would put em in the same boat.
    Feel free to shoot me down.

BEP is pop. Pop influenced by hip-hop but nothing mroe than pop. Their music is watered down and their audience is DEFINATELY watered down. If you talk to 99.9% of their buying audience they might classify BEP as hip-hop but if you asked them what other hip-hop albums they own they would most likely be tough to come up with another title.

Yes BEP are in the same category as your boy bands/brittany spears/and cheeseball rock groups.

Just because will.i.am is king of jacking for beats and decided to throw an electro (JJ Fadd) beat under some Fergie lyrics does not make it hip-hop. It is Pop.

Kelis is just R&B, different and adventurous yes, but i would still put her in the R&B category.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ehh i dont see it
    it seems like lots of rap music started taking in other influences and genres, esp. circa the late 90s 70s when they started using old disco records to rap over , the early 80s when Run-DMC started using rock guitars, the early 90s.....
    hah yeah obv

zzz @ 33rd's REAL HIP HOP brigade
    we all know that jacking for beats is not real hip-hop! except always

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts

• ehh i dont see it
    hah yeah obv

zzz @ 33rd's REAL HIP HOP brigade

sorry but BEP were barely a hip-hop group when they were Atban Clan and even with their first album as BEP they still were very weak. Their only option was pop and when they added an ex-meth head that really can't sing here way out of a paper bag, to the group their fate as pop artists was sealed. And if you can have POP ART why can't POP Music be a genre? It has nothing to do with REAL HIP-HOP or that real schitt in reference to that particular group.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i have no problem saying BEP are shitty and hip-hop in the same sentence

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Will.I.Am may be producing some pop-r&b now but most black eyed peas stuff seems pretty straightforwardly 'hip-hop' even if its largely corny crossover stuff.

See this is where im stumped. That BEP/Fergie stuff is not "Straight Forward Hip Hop." It crazy derivative.
    GBarkey is derivative. Kelis is way different than Tamia. I would put em in the same boat.
    Feel free to shoot me down.

BEP is pop. Pop influenced by hip-hop but nothing mroe than pop. Their music is watered down and their audience is DEFINATELY watered down. If you talk to 99.9% of their buying audience they might classify BEP as hip-hop but if you asked them what other hip-hop albums they own they would most likely be tough to come up with another title.

Yes BEP are in the same category as your boy bands/brittany spears/and cheeseball rock groups.
    Just because will.i.am is king of jacking for beats and decided to throw an electro (JJ Fadd) beat under some Fergie lyrics does not make it hip-hop. It is Pop.

William did some NAs stuff though. He ventures in and out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i'll buy that there's such thing as a 'post hip-hop artist' - one who can flourish in hip-hop and producing other genres - but not that 'post hip-hop' is a genre in and of itself.

i'll buy that there's such thing as a 'post hip-hop artist' - one who can flourish in hip-hop and producing other genres - but not that 'post hip-hop' is a genre in and of itself.

I like that.

Just as an aside, when I was 14 I would throw my younger sister's Al B and Keith tapes out the door if they came within 6ft of polluting my 88 rap collection. Then a year or two later I started seeing D-Nice and Father MC LPs, then by the mid 90s I was borrowing her Clue and DoubleR tapes. She went to concerts and got in fights. Now she listens to BEP but I am more badass than ever. What happened?

Just as an aside, when I was 14 I would throw my younger sister's Al B and Keith tapes out the door if they came within 6ft of polluting my 88 rap collection.

Just as an aside, when I was 14 I would throw my younger sister's Al B and Keith tapes out the door if they came within 6ft of polluting my 88 rap collection.

Dude I liked Take6