Day's beat on the Nas album

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
In 2005 we released Day's Four Hills. Last year L.E.S. did a song called "Hope" for Nas "Hip Hop Is Dead" LP. This is how his "orginal" version that didnt made it on the album sounds. Plug: "Four Hills" will also be on Day's forthcoming CD The Day Before.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• How is the saying ???

You cant own a loop !!!

Yeah you cant, but WE can compare !!!!!

Was that loop not also used by 9th Wonder or any affiliated producer ??

Or was ist out of the J-Rawls corner or Fat Jon corner ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I agree with Hawkeye, a loop is a loop

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    In 2005 we released Day's Four Hills. Last year L.E.S. did a song called "Hope" for Nas "Hip Hop Is Dead" LP. This is how his "orginal" version that didnt made it on the album sounds.

Plug: "Four Hills" will also be on Day's forthcoming CD The Day Before.

Day's drums are better.

Thing about this is, maybe it got cut from the Nas album because they couldn't clear the sample. If it were me, I'd be flattered by the thought that L.E.S. might have bit my idea, and leave it at that.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Moral of the story : DJ Day should dig a bit deeper.

• L.E.S.'s drums sound like the mohawks 'landscape' break with extra kicks to me

both sound sick....

is the girl singing from the same record as the violin? if so, that could easily be coincidence in the sampling world. if not, then good for day, everybody gets their due and dudes are listening to his shit...

I like instrumental music

I like Nas.

I like both versions.

I love Nas.

Nas wins for me, but only cuz it's Nas,

I still love Day.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    It just feels good when you know that a beat of yours could have made it on a Nas album if you would have been at the right time at the right place. We take this as a compliment.

PS: Day owns many of his loops because he plays most of his stuff these days.

PPS: The drums on "Four Hills" are way better ;-)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Moral of the story : DJ Day fucking on point with his.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Moral of the story : DJ Day fucking on point with his.

da truth

i have to say that vocal intro was fitting for the hiphop is dead concept

dj day needs to get on like exile

one day...one day

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I like Day's interpretation MUCH better! I've never been a big L.E.S. fan, as I find his drum programming boring and weak. Day is definitely a "drum head" and great arranger, so I feel just about everything he does. I don't say this often with my critical ass!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    both sick! nasty nas sounds heeter on this

Moral of the story : DJ Day should dig a bit deeper.

Not really, unless you believe in selecting your sample sources based on their obscurity rather than their musical value.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    not to be a hatter, i was expecting the raer shit. of the tracks i checked some fairly obvious samples, stepping into tommorow and that bill withers break amongst others.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    not to be a hatter, i was expecting the raer shit. of the tracks i checked some fairly obvious samples, stepping into tommorow and that bill withers break amongst others.

ONLYRAERSAMPLESUSEDONTHISALBUM!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you know hip hop is dead when there's an r'n'b bitch singing "stay hip hop stay, i pray hip hop stay" at the end of a nas track.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

are you suggesting that Day's next project should be called ... For Soulstrut Heads Only : The Raer Album?

Well, this is the thing, innit? Why does one make music in the first place? At the risk of sounding like a dick-rider, the reason I like Day's shit is because, to me anyway, there's a distinct musical ethos at work. Obviously you can hear a Mizell Brothers/Roy Ayers influence, and I hear a bit of Dilla in there as well. But the most striking thing is that it sounds like the work of someone with a clear idea about what he wants to do musically, and this is what makes it good. It's the sound of someone motivated by something other than a need to impress record nerds by chaining together a bunch of obscure samples.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    it'd be better then Timmy Digalot's 'My 1st Instrumental Hip Hop LP'.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    you know hip hop is dead when nas says its dead

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    you know hip hop is dead when nas says its dead

that's not what blaz was saying dude

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I agree with Hawkeye, a loop is a loop

And Day's beat is BY FAR better than the NAS one, enough said.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    it'd be better then Timmy Digalot's 'My 1st Instrumental Hip Hop LP'.

Some of the beats on that joint were made 7 years ago (like the "Use Me" drums you're referring to).

I don't ask myself "what will people like Chizzle think if I sample this?". I just make what I feel at the time.
    And I honestly doubt L.E.S. ever even heard Four Hills. I do know the Nas remix I did made it back to Primo and other folks in NY tho, so who knows.
    Anyway it goes, it was probably just coincidence. That shit happens all the time with sampling.

• Props on the EP, some serious bangers there... been steady rockin that ish for a couple weeks now... lookin forward to the full length...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HEY OLSKI ARE YOU EVER GOING TO PAY AYRES AND I OUR MONEY FOR THE 12" WE DID FOR YOU?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    day=

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    HEY OLSKI ARE YOU EVER GOING TO PAY AYRES AND I OUR MONEY FOR THE 12" WE DID FOR YOU?
    oh schitt, , oh hell, uh uhhhh, no he dint!!!!!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    oh schitt,
    , oh hell, uh uhhhh, no he dint!!!!!

That's the worst shit... labels releasing shit still that haven't paid in full to the artists. No explanation will do, cuz if the label can ship records to the stores, they can sure ship out a kite with some bills in it to the artists. WACK.

peace.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

olski, do i have any more royalties coming my way? lemme know...would be motivation to put out some more stuff, definitely.....havent heard from you in a while...

not mad, just curious because it would help me out...a lot.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread has taken a decidedly different turn.