Illustrator heads, need help!

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I'm using Illustrator CS. I want to put a stroke around some text to create a border. However, the stroke expands inward. Is it possible to use stroke in Illustrator to create a border around some text?

Comments

• I'm at home so I cant check for real.
    Make sure youre displaying all the different boxes and there should be a border related box that lets you choose the borner inwards, middle or outwards.

You may have to convert the text first, again, if this doesnt help I'll check at work tomorrow.

• You will, as E_daily said, ahve to convert the text to curves
    and then change the setting in the stroke panel...

• nah to keep the text live do this.

Create the text

Add the stroke

Then duplicate the text in the same position

Remove the stroke from the duplicated text.

You have two sets of text, but they are both live so if you need to change it you can. You just have to adjust both sets of text.

Also you can lock the duplicated text and then select the text underneath with the stroke and increase or decrease the stroke point size.

I never outline text until its ready to hand off to the printer.

• nah to keep the text live do this.

Create the text
    Add the stroke
    Then duplicate the text in the same position
    Remove the stroke from the duplicated text.
    You have two sets of text, but they are both live so if you need to change it you can. You just have to adjust both sets of text.
    Also you can lock the duplicated text and then select the text underneath with the stroke and increase or decrease the stroke point size.
    I never outline text until its ready to hand off to the printer.

yeah, thats a good option too.
    Defenitely use that technique if you aren't 100% done with the text.
    do you have control over the corner/rounded corner options that way?
    (illustrator is not my main design software)

• I don't believe you have any stroke control outside of pt. size until the text is outlined.