what's good in Toronto (NRR)

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I will be headed to Toronto in Oct. for a mini-honeymoon...plaese to recommend stuff we gotta do/see, good places to eat, etc.

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dupont st

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• for downtown, the Rex Hotel/Bar is a great place for some evening/night jazz and a beer. The address is 194 Queen St. West. They have a couple preformances every evening. The location is good too since you got great shopping places in Queen street West and it's close to Eaton's centre & Yonge street. CN Tower, Harbour front, etc are all pretty close by to (just a couple stops away).

The art gallery and museum are pretty good too, both located somewhat near St. George station. I haven't been to the museum in a minute but the art gallery always has good exhibits. They also have information on good places to check out foreign/indy films in the city.

If you are staying around North York, Scarborough, there are definitely some good food spots and places to check out, but most people stay downtown.

For records, Play De Record, Play De Vintage, Kopps, and Cosmos are all popular and are all located within a good 20 min (from Yonge/Dundas to Queen/Spadina). walk from each other. There is also the HMV on Yonge street if you are looking for some harder to find CD's.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    dupont st

Dupont? All things considered, that's a fairly boring street. Unless you want to eat grease at the Vesta, I don't see the point.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    dupont st

Dupont? All things considered, that's a fairly boring street. Unless you want to eat grease at the Vesta, I don't see the point.

Nah man, things really get popping up at Christie / Dupont , they got that Loblaws there with Marchette built in so you can eat muffins while you grocery shop....

+ there's rumours of a 50,000 square foot warehouse filled with unsold store stock from the 70s (vinyl).. right at the intersection of Dupont + Shuter... I've never seen it so I can't confirm anything.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah, definitely go to the ROM, I recently got a membership and am taking painting there...right now they got chinese architecture and buddist statues and art from the 1400's and other eras...the exhibit is actually called Heaven or Hell: Images of Chinese Buddhist and Daoist Deities and Immortals, and its so godamn amazing to see these man made statues of buddas from way back when right in front of u

...i was breathless just looking at one of the thrones they had on display. u can easily get to the ROM from Museum station, and after the revamp which is in process should be one of Toronto's biggest attractions for years to come...born and raised in toronto, 28, and i feel like an idiot for not getting a membership all these years, but i'm glad i did now...

http://www.rom.on.ca/

also i guess if you're a tourist, kensington market/china town should be a nice place to check out, my favorite place for thai is there, CHIENG MAI THAI CUISINE 147 Baldwin, at Spadina:
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2002-08-22/goods_foodfeature.php

its so awesome, basically the place is a small house, with a nice family, and their kid is always there, playing with a baloon or something, last time i was there he was pretending he was a spy...but i've never been somewhere more chill for ambiance,really good vibes, i remember once their gramps and kid were watching the simpsons while i was being serves some awesome green mango salad...and the food is authentic as hell. highly recommended.

• definitely have the ROM and the AGO on our list...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Kensington Market

Panaroma Lounge - on top of the Manulife Centre, amazing view of city, at Bloor and Bay Streets

Textile Museum - on University, across form the ROM actually

Windmill in the CNE grounds - at the Dufferin Gates. You can get right up to it, it's quite an experience.

Drinks at the King Edward Hotel - on King St., just east of Yonge St.

what kind of food do you like?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    rex is good.
    stella on tap.
    get there before 8:30 and pay no cover! week nights they have regulars each week, special guests more so on the weekend

what are you and your wife into? there is a ton to do. im up for suggestions from people here too cause i just moved here a month ago. so please suggest away people!

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    check out church/wellesley for some gay action if you and wifey are into that. or zanzibar if she lets you goto strip clubs