Marx Bros. Appreciation post

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I find their old films far funnier than 99% of the comedies currently out there.

Comments

• Cosignature. My friend Nick in Portland (I*n, you ever talk to him anymore?) put me up on "Duck Soup" and I've been hooked ever since. All their classic movies are classics for good reason. I need to revisit them soon.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yeah, Nick works at the bookstore right by Crossroads, so I stop in and chat when I'm down there. I ran into him at the Goodfoot (upstairs) a couple of months ago and joined his team for the trivia contest. It was everyone on our team's first time and we kicked all other team's butts.

• My Dad let me borrow this marx brothers scrapbook when I was still in elementary school. I took it to school and ended up getting in trouble. The first line in the book is by groucho and he is asked what he misses most about getting old. His answer, "cunt". I had no idea what it ment but my mom was really pissed at my dad.

• Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I find their old films far funnier than 99% of the comedies currently out there.

horse feathers, duck soup, a day at the races, classic laughs! we used to have marx brothers nights and rent their movies, smoke a bit and lose our minds!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I find their old films far funnier than 99% of the comedies currently out there.

Very true. It's crazy to think that there was an era of great, simple yet effective comedy that didn't lean on the same tired cliches and overly-sarcastic/ironic gags that we see today

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The best comedy team EVER.
    To paraphrase Handsome Dick Manitoba, "If you don't like the Marx Brothers you are an asshole!"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duck Soup is one of the very few films that makes me laugh as much now as it did when I was five years old.

Strange how my affinity with the different brothers changes - while Groucho will obviously always be my favourite in the last couple of years I've started enjoying Chico's characters more and more.

• I almost forgot about the Marx Bros... i was a big fan of their classic movies for awhile when i was a kid, always had to catch 'em when they came on tv. funny schitt.

• The Marx Bros. are in my top 5 all time... of everything.

Their music skills were next level, not to mention their comedy. True performers, and the fact that they were self-taught, they all came up with unique and individual styles of playing.

Comedy heads know the deal, but it gets me how many people have never watched them. I've tried to turn people on, and it takes a smart person to get down with them (at least with Chico and Groucho's wordplay).

Their records are dope too.

Peace...
    FNM

• we used to have marx brothers nights and rent their movies, smoke a bit and lose our minds!