Gary McFarland Appreciation Thread

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Dude is blowing my mind right now. Listening to his America The Beautiful, arrangements are absolutley out of this world. Samples galore, could make a whole The "Dreams" record with him and Gabor Szabo is what got me started on his stuff, and I'm hooked, maybe my favorite producer of all time.WaxPoetics article on him was solid, but you really gotta do some deep listening to understand his music.Thoughts? Reccomendations of similar stuff?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm a fan.

• I appreciate him being a decent human being with artistic integrity.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

He's made a handfull of decent records. All those "Brazilian style" records on Verve suck. While the Skye dates are good, I seriously doubt this dude is even in the top 10 for producers and arrangers. Also, I'm not sure how you are using the term "producer"--but assuming from your reference to "samples galore" it is synonymous with arranger.

In terms of jazz arrangers in the musical sense, dude can't hold a stick to Oliver Nelson, Bennie Golson, Quincy Jones, Richard Evans, Melba Liston, Johnny Pate...I could go on...

• I like McFarland but I don't put him in a top ten of anything really.

The only two I have aside from the America the Beautiful one are:

and

Today is pretty good, the Scorpio one has a joint or two on it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I've been appreciating dude on here forever. "America the Beautiful" is, uh, beautiful, and I like the variations and changing dynamics and rhythms of the songs. Also, check out "Soft Samba Strings", the ultimate cool-out joint.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalakl

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Hi,

Gary McFarland is an underappreciated talent as a composer and a vibraphonist. "America the Beautiful (An account of its disappearance)" (RECOGNIZE THE COMPLETENESS) is his most fully realized work as a composer. I like his Verve output, even if (or maybe especially if?) Fatback says it sucks. Basically, I don't need for it to be authentic Brazilian music to enjoy listening to it while I'm reading or relaxing. I agree with Big Stacks, Soft samba strings is a great "cool out joint."

Since just about every worthy musician has made a stinky terd of a record every now and then, consider yourself warned against McFarland's: "Butterscotch Rum." This posthumous joke-folk record wih Peter Smith is really not what you're looking for if you are trying to understand Gary McFarland. Probably worth a dollar, but probably not worth two.

Best,
    JRoot

PS Do you think 80s Norwegian pop sensation "A-Ha" was ripping off McFarland with their song "The Sun always shines on Tv"?

PPS Is it true that he was poisoned to death in a bar in NYC? Tough way to go.