Dilla honored @ Grammies!

DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
That was dope! They just put Dilla in the In Memory of section of Grammies!

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    So many folks died that I was not up on.... Michael Brecker... Denny Doherty.... Ray Baretto.... so sad. Makes you think when you see these segments. RIP.

• damn, i'm getting all sentimental here. a crazy year for the music industry it has been.

this years grammy's have spoken a lot louder than recent years it seems.

RIP to Dilla and all the artists that were mentioned.

• but what a terd show otherwise. I am just now checking the results...

Ludacris for best rap album? lol.

The Pussycat Dolls?

This show is a joke.

On the one hand I'm like word, Primo and Mary getting their props finally from the mainstream? But then I'm like, for what though? Who needs these accolades really?

get your iron on son.

i'll shut up now and go to the gym to work out this anger.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Who really watches this? It's live proof of the embarassment that is the American music industry.

This is the time I take 5-10 minutes out of my year to peruse the list and silently shake my head.

-I see that the illustrious Peter Frampton won an award this year. So did Bob Dylan. Where is Kris Kristofferson? Don't these things come in threes?
    -Jonny Lang won an award for "Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album." What?
    -The Pussycat Dolls, Bob Newhart (for an album called "I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This!"), Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and Grey's Anatomy Volume 2 OST were all nominated for awards this year.
    -"Stadium Arcadium" won for best art direction, boxed set category. Niiice logotype, fellas.
    -Hey! Look! "New Age" is still a genre. Guess who won? ([color:white]Who else? Enya. What does it say about a genre if you didn't know it still exists but, once informed, you know who won it in the Grammys?[/color])

One more question: what, exactly, is a "Classical Crossover" album? Is it like Cowboy Troy with strings and without spurs?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Who really watches this? It's live proof of the embarassment that is the American music industry.

-I see that the illustrious Peter Frampton won an award this year. So did Bob Dylan. Where is Kris Kristofferson? Don't these things come in threes?

Not me! I did catch something about Herb alpert though.

- spidey

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My room-mate said they did a JB tribute,
    but I missed it. Was it any good?

• His artistic integrity was unmatched in the hip hop world.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I just read that Christina Aguilera sang "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World."

That works successfully on zero levels.

• So many folks died that I was not up on.... Michael Brecker... Denny Doherty.... Ray Baretto.... so sad. Makes you think when you see these segments. RIP.

A lot of incredible people passed away last year. I was shocked when I heard the passing of Michael Brecker and Ray Baretto. With Brecker, he had become ill in the last few years and word was that he was getting better. Unfortunately things turned the other way around. He did a wide range of styles over the years, and the Verve album he did with a Quindectet was one of the best in the last few years. As I said elsewhere, Brecker was the first jazz artist I had seen in concert. My exposure to jazz was through my dad and his musical tastes, my uncle who liked Miles Davis' Live Evil[/b], and eventually getting into the music on my own. Brecker played in a fricken local high school auditorium, but he played as if it was a major concert hall.

Gerald Levert, Syd Barrett, Maynard Ferguson, Buck Owens, Freddy Fender, Ahmet Ertegun, and of course the loss of Dilla and JB.

• I just read that Christina Aguilera sang "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World."

That works successfully on zero levels.

Her performance was good, not too much vocal theatrics, but to me it was a "make A" effort considering that it followed a tribute to soul music with Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, and Chris Brown, and then you pay the utmost respect with... her? Not exactly my first choice, but at least it wasn't an embarrassment like RHCP.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    but what a terd show otherwise. I am just now checking the results...

Ludacris for best rap album? lol.

The Pussycat Dolls?

This show is a joke.

get your iron on son.

i'll shut up now and go to the gym to work out this anger.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    So many folks died that I was not up on.... Michael Brecker... Denny Doherty.... Ray Baretto.... so sad. Makes you think when you see these segments. RIP.
    Gerald Levert, Syd Barrett, Maynard Ferguson, Buck Owens, Freddy Fender, Ahmet Ertegun, and of course the loss of Dilla and JB.

+ Proof, Disco D, Rufus Harley, Dewey Redman, Arif Mardin

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Was it any good?

No. I did not watch the grammys and I know it wasn't good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    didn't watch it all but MJB was amazing and i have to admit that even though the song drives me nuts, the version of 'Crazy' Gnarls did was very nice. Christina Ricci's forehead never ceases to amaze and she had on a pretty good dress. the Police were whatever. saw one performance by JT which was pretty good.

OK, i'm prepared to take all the hate, but Corrine Bailey Rae is nothing special imo. cute as all out, but her singing does nothing for me.

was it my imagination or were some of the mics hot? it sounded distorted now and then.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Christina Ricci's forehead never ceases to amaze and she had on a pretty good dress.

Better dress than Scarlett Johannsen, imo. But Ricci is too skinny for me these days.

the Police were whatever.
    Before the show, wife and I were talking about the police and betting what they would perform. My first and immediate response was "Roxanne." But then I thought, I don't think Sting can hit those high notes anymore now that he's all into tantric sex. They might still sing it, but I don't think he can hit the high notes. Sure enough, they sang it and he didn't even try to hit the high notes. He didn't even half try. And his little "improv" on the verse was lame. Didn't even sing the lyric most cherished to soulstrutters: "I see you sent my letters back and my LP records and they're all scratched". CAPITAL CRIME!

Corrine Bailey Rae is nothing special imo. cute as all out, but her singing does nothing for me.

I hadn't seen or heard much from her before last night. That one song that she got nominated for that is on the radio I don't like, but I thought she did a nice job on the song she sang. Very nice to see someone just standing there playing an acoustic guitar.

was it my imagination or were some of the mics hot? it sounded distorted now and then.
    The mics were hot and the camera angles were cold. Show was overall quite bad. It was nice that they included Jay Dee in the croak reel, though. I put my other comments in the Christina singing James Brown thread.

Peace,
    JRoot

• I thought Christina sang the shit out of that song. Mary really let her lungs out on her song too. Justin did a good job, especially when he sang with that contest winner. That was a smart move by the grammy folks. I missed Gnarls, but heard it was good. I thought Chris Brown's dance bit to James Brown was good too. Who cares who wins the awards (besides the artists and labels). Overall better than most years.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I thought Chris Brown's dance bit to James Brown was good too.

That was Chris Brown? Was I the only person not to know that?

By the way, on the subject of Chris Brown, it was awesome when those two kids got up and started busting moves during his portion of the Smokey-Lionel-ChrisBrown? soul revival. WHen they bailed off the walkway at the end of their routine, it was like they were jumping off a cliff. Most enjoyable and unexpected single moment of the whole show for me.

JRoot

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    OK, i'm prepared to take all the hate, but Corrine Bailey Rae is nothing special imo. cute as all out, but her singing does nothing for me.

chalk me up as

but i never even heard that girls name/songs until last night. at first i was like, so who is the kinda cute girl singing with John Legend and John (noodlefest) Mayer?

i think i need to step up my adult contemporary radio game. hella tepid shit is getting past me nowadays and i can't let that happen.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Thankfully, the only five minutes I saw of the show was the tribute to those that passed.

The James Brown tribute was OK. They showed him performing "Night Train" with some dude mimicking (badly) his dance moves.

• reskresk 391 Posts

A lot of incredible people passed away last year. I was shocked when I heard the passing of Michael Brecker and Ray Baretto.

i believe Ray Barretto actually has been nominated for a couple grammy's in the past