How did you first find out about soulstrut?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Like SOI said, the record reviews (and the ISH features) kept popping up in google searches. Spent a lot of time checking the front page mixes too. Took 1-2 years before I started checking the forum.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    what's up pistol pete? thanks a bunch.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    True Story:

I was travelling through virginia and north carolina on a short record buying trip during a long weekend holiday from my job with the Federal Public Defenders office in Brooklyn. I decided to head down to Greensboro, NC for the night after finishing up with whatever i was doing in Richmond a bit early. I remember being relatively broke at this point and i had printed out a list of motels and bed & breakfasts from some city website. I called some number that looked like it'd be a relatively cheap room and ended up staying in the home of some slightly bearded lady who was a born again christian.

The most interesting of the many stories i heard that night included the one where she had literally been bitten by a snake (it doesn't get more biblical than that) and had been paralyzed neck-down until jesus saved her. But not only did jesus save her, she also was combating a bout with cancer at the time of my visit effectively with the help of a very expensive amino acid solution marketed by a new age organic health product distributor in sweden. Strangely, i noticed her address listed on the order form contained in the pamphlets she gave to me. She insisted that i bring home information about this life-saving solution to give to my boss who was fighting an untreatable case of cancer himself (RIP Mr. C. - as he was called by a former client, who at 76 years old was living out of the trunk of car down on Coney Island). Additionally, i think i also was given a long and quite detailed history of the Jews for Jesus movement with the quite helpful suggestion that i might want to look up the founder, Moishe, at some point during my travels.

I locked my door that night. I do remember an internal debate about leaving in the middle of the night... i remembered this night while watching that Borat movie a few months ago- strangely the details of the arragement were somewhat reversed.

in any case, i was obligated to drink a cup of coffee the next morning and lo and behold, i ate my first piece of ezekiel bread- a recipe for bread apparently detailed in the new testament which has resulted in a loaf that tastes eerily similar to sawdust. after revisiting an earlier conversation about the jews for jesus i politely excused myself and began my big day in greensboro.

a couple hours later i randomly met soulmarcosa at a small record shop in town, the name of which i don't remember.

a few months later he emailed me and mentioned soulstrut. i don't think i got around to checking it out another few months....

• homeboy DJ Oneman did that "Stage Band Funk" mix a few years back...

• what's up pistol pete? thanks a bunch.

Hiyooo!

I started looking at it high as fuck, chilling at my boy B-Side's apt in college back in 02. I started posting from time to time and became fully addicted in 03. I think Pistol Pete is my 3rd name due to my account fucking up and the great board crash back in the day.

I've never been a huge contributor, but I read and laugh at least 10 times a day.

• looking for some dj day mixes and rehash.Yeah i was a lurker.(haha)being blown away by all the finds yall got...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I was looking for weird records, digging places aso and soulstrut popped up in google.

• [email]crates@oblivion.accessus.net[/email]

• [email]crates@oblivion.accessus.net[/email]

for me too.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i heard people on vinyl vulture goin on about it. so i thought i better check it out and here i am!

• i found it thru an internet search for a record. i lurked on and off for a long time and then joined, now i lurk and post on occasion.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i found the strut after googling weird n shit records. i liked the mixes and reviews and decided to be a part of it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Back in 2003 a good friend and Digger named Badnoozbear mentioned the site, and sent me a link to the reviews section. I was constantly checking the reviews and listening to the mixes. At this point I was dating a brazillian girl who got mad at me, during an argument she said I was.. "too busy dicking around on the soulstrut board" in 2005. That's when I realized there was a soulstrut board, and became a member.

- spidey

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    word of mouth from devil mcdoom (martin).

• I fell and hit my head.
    When I woke up, I was here

Used this name (my real name), then handcorkscrew, then this again.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Friend told me about it in 2004. Registered and lurked then work got really slow and started posting.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Lurker friend put me on to soulstrut. It took me a while to actually get on the forum. He's never posted himself as he doesnt have records....so he'd fit right in really!

• VIA VINYL VULTURE LINK

• I learned about the site through Soulman's email blast... he was referencing some argument about Shadow, race, and funk 45s... my cup of tea.

That was around 2002.

• Mesh told me about it, but he doesn't post here all that much anymore.

• I'm guilty of googling some soul record and coming across this site circa 2000 or something. I didn't lurk for long...I jumped right in.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I was scouted. Raj made a sweet and I accepted. The rest is history.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Raj made a sweet and I accepted.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    last year i met young einstein at a gig ugly duckling was doing in san francisco. he told me to check it out. ive been addicted eversince.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i heard people on vinyl vulture goin on about it. so i thought i better check it out and here i am!

Something by Sarge about unicorns first piqued my interest. I think it was 2 years ago today.

• oliver had put me on the guestlist for pete rock and then mike theecasualmale pointed me to the thread where i found out that pete rock flaked/cancelled as per usual

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    True Story:

I was travelling through virginia and north carolina on a short record buying trip during a long weekend holiday from my job with the Federal Public Defenders office in Brooklyn. I decided to head down to Greensboro, NC for the night after finishing up with whatever i was doing in Richmond a bit early. I remember being relatively broke at this point and i had printed out a list of motels and bed & breakfasts from some city website. I called some number that looked like it'd be a relatively cheap room and ended up staying in the home of some slightly bearded lady who was a born again christian.

The most interesting of the many stories i heard that night included the one where she had literally been bitten by a snake (it doesn't get more biblical than that) and had been paralyzed neck-down until jesus saved her. But not only did jesus save her, she also was combating a bout with cancer at the time of my visit effectively with the help of a very expensive amino acid solution marketed by a new age organic health product distributor in sweden. Strangely, i noticed her address listed on the order form contained in the pamphlets she gave to me. She insisted that i bring home information about this life-saving solution to give to my boss who was fighting an untreatable case of cancer himself (RIP Mr. C. - as he was called by a former client, who at 76 years old was living out of the trunk of car down on Coney Island). Additionally, i think i also was given a long and quite detailed history of the Jews for Jesus movement with the quite helpful suggestion that i might want to look up the founder, Moishe, at some point during my travels.

I locked my door that night. I do remember an internal debate about leaving in the middle of the night... i remembered this night while watching that Borat movie a few months ago- strangely the details of the arragement were somewhat reversed.

in any case, i was obligated to drink a cup of coffee the next morning and lo and behold, i ate my first piece of ezekiel bread- a recipe for bread apparently detailed in the new testament which has resulted in a loaf that tastes eerily similar to sawdust. after revisiting an earlier conversation about the jews for jesus i politely excused myself and began my big day in greensboro.

a couple hours later i randomly met soulmarcosa at a small record shop in town, the name of which i don't remember.

a few months later he emailed me and mentioned soulstrut. i don't think i got around to checking it out another few months....

Hilarious. Did you let her feel your horns?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Whats up with that bull dog?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i think i first heard about it through crates list. like daniel said after 100 emails about bullshit samples kids were jockin i made my way to soulstrut.

...or something like that. i think. ive been here too long my brain cant even register the beginning.

• My pal Steve was having a get-together for his birthday at Odessa's, while I was deep into my 5th or 6th whiskey on the rocks, I met Raj, who after a while of slurred record nerd talk, told me about his brand new crate digging website or whatever. I put together a mix, sent it in.... and the rest is history.

Soulstrut OG