Sampler Strut

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I recently came upon a bit of money, and it's finally time to get a sampler.Anyone here into production got any recommendations on what to get if I go the hardware route?I've always wanted an MPC, but even after lurking on MPC forums for awhile, I can't decide which one to get? Looking at the 1000, 2000XL, 2500... 4000 if I could find a relatively cheap one. With my budget, I'd like to keep it in the $1500 and under range, so I might be looking at a used piece of equipment. Any comments on this? Is that safe to do when buying a sampler?Also, any non Akai samplers anyone would suggest. Some of the older legendary samplers seem to be too expensive now that they're rare, and some have suggested the Roland MV8000, but thats outta my range.Anyone think software is the better route? If so, suggestions?Sorry if this is an annoying post, but I'm just looking for some additional input because I'm indecisive as hell.Thanks in advance!Peace...FNM

Comments

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I'm using an ibm thinkpad (better build than macs) with ableton live and I'm very satisfied with it.
    If you try the software route, you should try ableton live. It got many effects and 3 samplers on board and is very easy to use .
    I think it depends on your workflow to find the right tool.

• MPC 60

• MPC 3000

• no doubt on the Roger Linn editions.

• I've got a MPC 1000 and a Thinkpad with Adobe Audition and Fruity Loops. It's a pretty good set-up and it's $1500 (minus the Thinkpad).

• Thanks for the input so far, I got a Mac Powerbook, btw.

If I get a hardware sampler, I'd like to use it in conjuntion with my computer... maybe.

Peace...
    FNM

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    no doubt on the Roger Linn editions.

If you get a 60 or a 3000, you'll have a great sound and spend most of your time trying to get a card reader or other upgrades to work.

If you get any other model you'll have mediocre sound in comparison but more features, you'll spend most of your time trying to recreate that SP 1200/MPC 60 sound.

Out of the newer models I've heard the 4000 is buggy, the 2500 is solid, and the 1000 could have been their best ever but they skimped on a number of things including the pads.

• I've got a MPC 1000 and a Thinkpad with Adobe Audition and Fruity Loops. It's a pretty good set-up and it's $1500 (minus the Thinkpad).

The 1000 looks so lightweight to me, compared with the otheres ones...

Would that be a misconception?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    get ableton live, a good wave editor (both obtainable for nothing,if you are resourceful), an mpc2000xl, and a soundcard for the pc.

this will accomplish everything you need to do for audio recording, sequencing, midi, production tasks.

• The 1000 looks so lightweight to me, compared with the otheres ones...

Would that be a misconception?

The 1000 is built solid. I've had it for almost two years and has never given me troubles. There are some annoying things about it, but it's just annoying, doesn't hamper anything. If you get it with the software upgrades (you can get it from the website) that give you time stretch and a bunch of other goodies, I think you can't beat it for it's price.