Anyone ever get a Red light Photo Ticket?

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I think I may be getting one soon, last week before I left I saw the flash. I heard they are spendy but I'm sure it is different from state to state. I also heard that they will drop it if they cant prove you were the one driving, but do you think they will drop it if you tell them your brakes weren't working and take them a receipt for brake pads??? I'm hoping that if or when it arrives I can fight it off. I think its like 150.00 bucks or more?? My brakes are grinding metal to metal right now. Tim and I were driving down a very steep hill one time and his brakes went out and it was very tramatic experience. Just curious if anyone has had this happen or tried to fight one off. I dont think they are going to go for the whole " Ive only been driving for 4 months" excuse.

Comments

• I got one once on 110th street in NY. I really had no option but to pay for it, even though they couldn't prove I was driving. The car was registered to me and that was that. I don't think that the brake receipt would make much of a difference, since you must have some ability to stop. They might even get you with a "failure to make repairs" ticket (my ex got caught with one). Good luck anyway!

• I dunno but I just breezed through the Fastrack lane on the Bay Bridge the other day, thinking I was driving my car with the Fastrack transmitter. I wasn't; I was pushing a rental while my car is in the shop. So I realized what had happened, looked around, and just kept driving. Not sure how that's gonna turn out.

• my mom just got one her e in LA. she said it was like $350

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I've been hit the photo radar twice in the last year. They're setting up speed traps around schools here in stumptown. Fines are double and you get no reduction for no contest plea. I'm out over $400 bucks. The last one was a four lane road that one normally drives at 35 mph. Speed trap limit: 25mph. The definition of highway robbery. Plus those photos in the notices make me look fatter and balder than I already am.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I used to work for a traffic school company and basically there's no getting out of this one... Sorry

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    she said it was like $350

Oh good god thats like 10 decent disco records. I dont know if I have that many left.

Tim didnt think the brake excuse wouldnt work either. He pretty much said the same thing, something to the effect of not driving a safe auto and being fined for that.

• Rootless - I think they just bill you.

I've had a couple instances where i either ended up in the ezpass lane or couldn't find my cash, they just send you an invoice for like $5.

• Someone who I know is the teacher of a traffic school...basically said that unless you can prove the camera malfunctioned somehow there's really no way out of it.

In cali I believe it's the min. of $350

• Rootless - I think they just bill you.

I've had a couple instances where i either ended up in the ezpass lane or couldn't find my cash, they just send you an invoice for like $5.

cool I hope that's right. I think it is.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Someone who I know is the teacher of a traffic school...basically said that unless you can prove the camera malfunctioned somehow there's really no way out of it.

In cali I believe it's the min. of $350

Yup....speed cameras too.

I went to ajudication for some bogus tickets a cop gave me(she never showed, so I was cleared), but while I waited I saw a stream of sad sack guys ALL get turned down on contesting red light and speed camera tickets. The judge just kept saying "is this or is this not your vehicle?"

"Yes"

"Well, it seems you missed the light. Let's hear your story."

Dude would spin his story, blah blah blah.

"I am sorry, your ticket stands. You can pay at Window #4 to your left outside."

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    someone stole my front tag when i first moved to DC from SC (they only have the back tags in SC, yee-haw). i don't know how long it was gone and probably wouldn't noticed until i started getting camera tickets got like 25 of them. every picture had some beat the fuck up Cutlass. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH SHIT I HAD TO GO THROUGH TO GET THEM SHITS DROPPED. EVEN THOUGH IT WAS CLEARLY NOT MY CAR.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I dunno but I just breezed through the Fastrack lane on the Bay Bridge the other day, thinking I was driving my car with the Fastrack transmitter. I wasn't; I was pushing a rental while my car is in the shop. So I realized what had happened, looked around, and just kept driving. Not sure how that's gonna turn out.

I got a ticket for allegedly not paying the Bay Bridge toll. They sent me a photo of my car going through the tollbooth and everything. It was total bullshit--what happened was I paid the toll and drove away, but the toll-taker took his sweet fucking time pressing the "toll paid" button, so as far as the automated system was concerned, I didn't pay--but no matter how much I protested and explained it to them, I couldn't get the ticket dropped.

I also got a parking ticket in Oakland for parking in front of my apartment during street sweeping. Street sweeping in front of my apartment happens on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month. The ticket was issued on the third Tuesday, which meant there wasn't any street sweeping. I even went in person to protest the ticket and explain this to them. My protest was denied. Fuckers.

• what would be really cool is if the entire process was automatic. A camera takes the picture, some software reads your license plate and checks it against the DMV records. A computer generates a ticket and mails it out. That would be cool.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    what would be really cool is if the entire process was automatic. A camera takes the picture, some software reads your license plate and checks it against the DMV records. A computer generates a ticket and mails it out. That would be cool.

It's not cool, it's 50 fucking sterlings and 3 points on your licence for 3 years = more insurance. UK is most camera'd place on earth. 6 points from me since 2004. 12 = BAN.

They even have a system called SPECS here which clocks your plate at one point on the road and again a given distance (100 yards or 10 miles) later, works out your average speed, and then gives you the sting in the post. So every mug is driving right on the speed limit in all lanes.

There are a few places where you can still give it some clog but 25mph over the posted limit is a recommended BAN to the judge. 149 is my best. Wouldn't risk it now.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    what would be really cool is if the entire process was automatic. A camera takes the picture, some software reads your license plate and checks it against the DMV records. A computer generates a ticket and mails it out. That would be cool.

this is exactly how it's done here in chicago.
    got one a couple weeks ago at diversey & sacramento (fair warning for the locals; there's also one at peterson & western i've been told).
    a high-perched camera took 2 pictures -- one of me not even in the intersection yet and then one of me actually in the intersection.
    couldn't really think of any viable defense so i just sent in the $90.
    doesn't really matter who was driving, just that the owner of the vehicle is responsible for it (similar to a parking ticket).

• it would be fucking awesome if y'all were posing like the roller coaster picture

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    i ran a red and had the camera flashed twice. i was already late for work, so after i realized that i just got caught running the red and i would recieve a ticket in the mail pissed me off even more. but a month passed and i didn't get anything in the mail about it so i thought that i was going too fast for the cameras to get my license plate number. but sure enough, it arrived and my fine was $630. the only cool thing about it was that i had a crazy ass icegrill in the photo.

i sent in the payment and wrote "fuck you" on the invoice and check.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I used to work for a traffic school company and basically there's no getting out of this one... Sorry

I beat one on a right turn I got by getting the judge to come down and watch the video off the sherrif's laptop and he declared that it was not possible to prove without a doubt that I did not stop

take that, red light cameras

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

amazing

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    he declared that it was not possible to prove without a doubt that I did not stop

Gotta love that legalese triple-speak.

• i HATE these things. total bullshit. luckily they don't have them in Michigan, and they'll have to change state law to ever install them.

there's no real way out of them, if it's not you driving you either have to tell them who it was or send them a copy of the police report showing your car was stolen. also the companies that make the cameras get a big cut of the $$ they make off the tickets. If I still lived in Toledo I'd be out there spray painting the cameras non stop.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    he declared that it was not possible to prove without a doubt that I did not stop

Gotta love that legalese triple-speak.

Damn straight the sherrif's officer turned red and I walked out there like I just won a supreme court case or a million bucks of something. Stand up for your rights, people.

Schitt was dope and helped continue a dope first half of the year for me in 2006, no doubt.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

amazing

Yeah! Thanks for putting this up. It looks like the officer name is Milli Vanilli. It also says $237!!! I don't know, I'm still going to try to fight it I think. I didnt see it flash twice though..I'm hopeful but my initial feeling was not good so I'm going to expect it. I will be pleasantly suprised if it doesnt show up.

I will fight shit tooth and nail especially if it's $$$ related. It's not easy to get over on the fuzz though. I didnt know that this would affect my insurance so that sucks. But really I can not stop fast until I get new brake pads and I was nervous to push it. Im still going to try to work with that I think.

Hey is that Mr. J in the car with you??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Hey guys,
    Barring JustAlice's brake issues, here's an idea: Don't run red lights (NoMobbDeepReference). You being in a hurry can kill someone over some bullshit. Stop it. Yes,

• Hey guys,
    Barring JustAlice's brake issues, here's an idea: Don't run red lights (NoMobbDeepReference). You being in a hurry can kill someone over some bullshit. Stop it. Yes,

Haha, that's what i was going to say, i always hear people complaining and calling these fines bullshit for either breaking the speed limit or going through redlights...

• I got one in MD turning left across traffic. I pulled out, claimed the intersection, opposing traffic ran the yellow, so I had to turn after red. It was $75, and the letter said something about how it was illegal to raise my insurance because of this ticket. My DL was from out of state, anyway.

• Hey guys,

Haha, that's what i was going to say, i always hear people complaining and calling these fines bullshit for either breaking the speed limit or going through redlights...

wow, seriously? the "if you don't want trouble don't break the law" line or reasoning?

• I will fight shit tooth and nail especially if it's $$$ related. It's not easy to get over on the fuzz though. I didnt know that this would affect my insurance so that sucks. But really I can not stop fast until I get new brake pads and I was nervous to push it. Im still going to try to work with that I think.

I can not stop fast until I get new brake pads and I was nervous to push it.

get new brake pads[/b]

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If the camera is like most used in big cities, they will have several shots of your car. I got one in SF a couple years ago and they had four pictures included in the ticket. One was a close up of my license plate, and another was a close up of me the driver. You're probably not going to be able to beat it if they used the same technology. My ticket came out to over $300.