Downsizing (RR)

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
So I'll be having to downsize the collection due to storage - or lack there of and am having a hard time letting go... Going from a house to an apartment and can't afford storage so shit has to be done. I know, they're just records, but c'mon we all know - "they're records." Reason I say that is because there is nothing "Raer" or "Extremely valuable" in the crates, to me its just some solid rekkids in the jazz, soul and hip hop steez...How did you decide on what to get rid of? Do you leave some stuff with a homie who you know will get into your records or just slang em so they're off your hands completely? Need to unload about 400 records... DAMMIT!!!Your thoughts?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey E**c,

think about the records that will be easy to get again, selling/ giving those away shouldn't be too bad for you, once you start it become cathartic to keep going.

think aboutt the albums you haven't spun for a while too, they probably shouldn't be too high a priority to keep, after all how much enjoyment can you get out of a record you're not listening to?

• I just dumped about half of my records - maybe 2000 out of 4500. It felt good, I made some people happy with their new acquisitions, I made a little money.

I dunno what to tell you except don't hang on too tight. I have yet to wake up in the middle of the night lamenting my triples of "Straight from the Gate".

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I just dumped about half of my records - maybe 2000 out of 4500. It felt good, I made some people happy with their new acquisitions, I made a little money.

I dunno what to tell you except don't hang on too tight. I have yet to wake up in the middle of the night lamenting my triples of "Straight from the Gate".

Where did you dump these my friend? You never called me!!!!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    when i moved from TX to NYC, i too went from house to apartment. I think i only had about 1,200 pieces at the time.

my first move was to pare down the crap that had found it's way into my stock pile (i mean, c'mon 3 copies of 'breezin'). after that i took a huge portion and left with my father (400-500 or so). The rest (about 500) came up here.

now with the advent of dildo, and the general shift to mp3 format for most new stuff, if i could go back i would have only taken about 100-200 up here max.

i know a big hang-up i had was my thoughts about selling this stuff later for "MAD LOOT SON!!! In retrospect i realize that, just like my 1989 Topps Baseball cards, most of my stuff is not that raer. i have a feeling 10 years from now i will be begging for someone to take the reissue of "tried by 12" off my hands.

synopsis: if you have some heavy hitters that cannot come with you, give them to a trusted friend or family member. if you have time, try to sell as much stuff that you don't need on ebay/ss/whatsadermy. but in the end, some of your stuff will likely find its way to a record store. might as well make money now if you need it for your move.

good luck

• I just go through and pull out all the shit that I can't remember listening to in the past 2 years or so. Then I jump through 'em real quick and make the decision on whether or not I still want them. I'm usually able to get rid of about 200 records a year doing this. It's good to do it every year too, so your collection doesn't get out of hand. I don't think I'd ever want to deal with owening more than 5000 records unless the circumstances were right (owned a house with plenty of extra room for thew wax, etc.). I usually go through what I'm willing to get rid of, pick out anything worth more than $10 or $15, and let homies pick through the rest and sell 'em to them for a dollar or two. Then i take the rest to the stores and see how much I can get rid of that way. Leftovers from that get given away or left outside of a record store. Then I try and see if any of those $10 and up joints are sellable on ebay. If not, take 'em to the homies or the store. That's it.

I garee with the above, too, don't hold on to them too tight, you can always find those records again if you ever decide you want them back in your life.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I majorly downsized to free up some spending cash for other expensive hobbies. Like dude said... I shed no tears over the drum break section and the foreign prog LPs with dope samples that I aquired over the years. I kept all that is end to end burners... all one hit wonder LPs got .wav'd and .waved goodbye too. Hang on to the sentimental pieces. Purge the dust collectors. Have fun with the cash!

• I'm in the process of downsizing right now.

I'd like to get the collection to about 200-300. Just the ones I actually listen to.

Trust me, at the beginning it was hard. But after the first 500 or so sold.....it has become a lot easier to let my Niagara or rare random 90s indy hip hop joint go. I have not lost a wink of sleep.

I especially like the balance in my bank account since ive started to downsize.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also... I KEPT ALL OF MY RAMSEY LEWIS LPs BUT DUMPED ALOT OF $100 TEPID JAZZ FUNK RAER!!??

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Werd... I've started going through records and listening end to end or doing quick run throughs. Setting some records aside real quick... And also thought about what I can easily obtain so I think I'm on the right track. But its just hard of getting rid of pieces I like - DAMN! But I guess that's part of the game when you have to downsize!

I don't have triples of anything or much doubles, so that's not a big problem. Just trying to stay focused and handle this... HOT DAMN!

Thanks for the input everyone

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I did this a while ago. I actually needle dropped all the records that I thought of dumping and pulled out at least 200-300. I took a bunch down to the Groove Merchant and got some good credit. The rest were just commons that I wanted to sell to Amoeba's. I went down there 2 or 3 times and then got lazy. I now have about 3-5 shelves full of records that I don't want, but am too lazy to get rid of!

• I did this a while ago. I actually needle dropped all the records that I thought of dumping and pulled out at least 200-300. I took a bunch down to the Groove Merchant and got some good credit. The rest were just commons that I wanted to sell to Amoeba's. I went down there 2 or 3 times and then got lazy. I now have about 3-5 shelves full of records that I don't want, but am too lazy to get rid of!

This is what Half Price Books is for.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cire!

i know a couple you most certainly aint gettin rid of

the record purge is a neccesity, it feels good.

im about to do the same over here, Lee here i come.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Cire!

i know a couple you most certainly aint gettin rid of

the record purge is a neccesity, it feels good.

im about to do the same over here, Lee here i come.

Those are DEFINITELY staying... HA!

Ya i'll be purging more this weekend...

The other thing that sucks is I finally got an MPC and am going to lose some samples because of this... Sh*t!

This also reminds me, I have a ton on plastic sleeves? Anyone need any???
    Let me know - I think I have around 200 or so I don't need....

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I did this a while ago. I actually needle dropped all the records that I thought of dumping and pulled out at least 200-300. I took a bunch down to the Groove Merchant and got some good credit. The rest were just commons that I wanted to sell to Amoeba's. I went down there 2 or 3 times and then got lazy. I now have about 3-5 shelves full of records that I don't want, but am too lazy to get rid of!

take em to amoeba first. half price basically steals your records.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

While Amoeba scoffs at how bad your records are. Everytime I've gone it's like damn dude, if these records were dope you think I'd be selling them?

Half-price in my area = half-asleep on their raers. More like 1/300th priced.

I'm downsizing right now, and most important part is recognizing what you play or don't play. Doesn't matter if a record is supposed to be good, or if it's a classic, if you don't play it either for yourself or when you play out then there's no point in keeping it...let someone else enjoy it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Do not, I repeat DO NOT TAKE YOUR RECORDS TO AMOEBA!

Amoeba buyers will basically take your LP's put them in pricing piles and will not tell you what the prices on those piles are unless you hound them. I've been told by a former Amoeba records coworker of mine that some of the prices on these piles are incredibly low. I'm talking a .02 per LP pile or even a free pile. Like I said they will not let you know the prices they are offering per pile unless you press them for it.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    No worries, I stop taking records to Ameoba just before Aron's closed. Initially their prices weren't too bad but after a while they gave you less and less...

PS: I'm not fond of Ameoba