Goodwill record prices skyrocketing

SyminSymin 999 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
The goodwill in my area has marked up there records from $1 to $3 about a month or so ago. 300%increase! shit is rediclous. no beat ass barbra streisand record is worth that much ever. not even al hirt.Is this awful phenomenom happening everywhere?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Cue JLR joke about K in Canada in 5,4,3,2 and...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    no no, this has nothing to do with the K incident. This is connected to another of my favorite topics: the VU acetate. A tsunami in the record world. This is just the beginning.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    no no, this has nothing to do with the K incident. This is connected to another of my favorite topics: the VU acetate. A tsunami in the record world. This is just the beginning.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's true. Goodwill in Santa Cruz = $2 a record, and 70 percent of what they have are Christmas records. No wonder they never get any business.

The Latino-Owned and operated thrift gets all my business, 50 cents a record and they get a huge truckload of inventory for the store on the daily. Found a lot of great stuff there. Everytime I go there is a line at the register. Dudes know how to do it right.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    you talking about bargain barn?
    or is there something else with alot of records moving in santa cruz?
    and the goodwill on pacific is shit, although i found a dope bowling ball there once.

• not even al hirt.

I will buy every VG+ or better Al Hirt "soul in the horn" you can find for $5...thats $2 profit.
    make it happen

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    you talking about bargain barn?
    or is there something else with alot of records moving in santa cruz?
    and the goodwill on pacific is shit, although i found a dope bowling ball there once.

Bargain Barn? I'm talking about the one on Front Street with the 50% off sign up every day. I've heard about Bargain Barn but haven't gone yet, they've got their whole situation of restocking and then letting everyone rush in I hear. Any good?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    im sure i have seen this record. is it any good. or is there resale value?
    i see so much al hirt that my eyes have been trained to block out his name.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

Bargain Barn? I'm talking about the one on Front Street with the 50% off sign up every day. I've heard about Bargain Barn but haven't gone yet, they've got their whole situation of restocking and then letting everyone rush in I hear. Any good?
    i have definetly found some goodies at bargain barn. its like $5 for as many records as you can put into a bag basically. but the catch is if you find another container like a duffel bag or luggage or some shit you can fit more records in it. keep this shit on the low cause not many people go there. and i have found some definite come ups. the problem is they shovel the records in there literally and shit gets fucked up proper. i have had my heart broken too many times by taht place but everytime im in santa cruz i still go there. a define must.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    im sure i have seen this record. is it any good. or is there resale value?
    i see so much al hirt that my eyes have been trained to block out his name.

I bought one for a buck and just sold it in on ebay for $15, De La Soul sampled it.

• Goodwill in Santa Cruz = $2 a record, and 70 percent of what they have are Christmas records. No wonder they never get any business.

What, if they were any cheaper you'd buy the christmas records?!

Complaining that records went from $1 to $3 is some bullshit. You all must be really broke.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Complaining that records went from $1 to $3 is some bullshit. You all must be really broke.

You forgot to use the Reynaldo font.

• Complaining that records went from $1 to $3 is some bullshit. You all must be really broke.

You forgot to use the Reynaldo font.

That's only for when they complain that $25 records are now $50!

• DC area Goodwills went from $1 to $2 per record in the last two months. Outrageous

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Goodwills around me don't even sell records anymore.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    These mofockin charitable organizations better get
    their shit together - I'm willing to feed one family
    for my Harlem Hendoo, bet - but not the whole damn block.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    rediclous

I don't normally spell check on people but this spelling has always irked me.

It's spelled "ridiculous".

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    not even al hirt.

I will buy every VG+ or better Al Hirt "soul in the horn" you can find for $5...thats $2 profit.
    make it happen

Don't miss out! One is going for cheap on the Bay. 1 hour left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Al-Hirt-Soul-In-The-...1QQcmdZViewItem

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    not even al hirt.

make it happen

Don't miss out! One is going for cheap on the Bay. 1 hour left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Al-Hirt-Soul-In-The-...1QQcmdZViewItem

DAMN! U-GOD[/b] won it for less than a sawbuck!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    it is happening here is australia too, salvation army went from $1 to $2 in a short space of time, not sure how they think they will sell most of the stuff they have there for any more than 10-20 cents though

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    last year one of the salvation army stores in brooklyn lowered the price of records from $1 to .59. i was happy. but on a whole every thrift seems to be raising prices.

• In Richmond, Va. the prices went to 2$ about a year and half ago but they came back down to 1$ soon after.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Who else has been the (in)direct reason the prices were raised at a thrift store?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    It happened in Orlando like three years ago, but they didn't do it at all of the goodwills. You can usually sweet talk the lady at the register though. There was a 'boutique' goodwill in the high brow neighborhood that had ridiculous prices on records. I'm talking about stuff starting at $5. The best though is the mom and pop places that put beat ass elvis or beatles records behind glass.

It happened in Orlando like three years ago, but they didn't do it at all of the goodwills. You can usually sweet talk the lady at the register though. There was a 'boutique' goodwill in the high brow neighborhood that had ridiculous prices on records. I'm talking about stuff starting at $5. The best though is the mom and pop places that put beat ass elvis or beatles records behind glass.

^^^

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There is an independent thrift in my area that now has a $4 rack in front of the register... and its all country and big band records. Everything else is still 0.50-1.00

The rest of the thrifts occasionally drop the prices randomly but nothing's ever over a buck

(At a Goodwill this week I got the Hellraiser rmx promo & doubles of the Boxcar Sessions LP, unplayed, for a buck each... along with ~120 other records from the same collection)

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Who else has been the (in)direct reason the prices were raised at a thrift store?

mylatency, language....

mylatency language

THAT'S MY SPESHEE-ALLEY-TEE, DOGG!!!!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

mylatency language

THAT'S MY SPESHEE-ALLEY-TEE, DOGG!!!!!!

uhhh...no son.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    . not even al hirt.

i take back everything bad i ever said about al hirt
    and i will

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    not even al hirt.

make it happen

I have seen everyfuckingone of his records but that. I refuse to buy it until I find it myself for dirt cheap.

Then I will file it away and forget about it.