what kind of changes do you want in the US Gov't?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

-Salary cap for CEO's-no salary cap. a formula based on how much a worker gets paid vis a vis their CEO that is agreed upon by corporations and members of Congress.[/b]
    -Direct Elections-NO. This will render states with small populations who want a say in our government even more meaningless than they already are.[/b]
    -welfare officers (assigned officers monitoring the status of those who are on welfare in the hopes of getting them off it)-already exists[/b]
    -televised disclosure of all tax dollar spendingC-SPAN[/b]
    -free education through the 2nd year of collegeGood way to close universities[/b]
    -increased taxation of all oil, & weapons corporations with an express commitment of that money going to enviromental and education improvement. No, this would lead to recession[/b]

TN:[/b] I don't understand what your saying about free college education up to the 2nd year of college would close universities, community colleges are already incredibly cheap compared to 4 year universities, the government can more than pay for the education of those younger college students and also give many of those with no dream of going to college a more fair shake at entering the job market. Can you elaborate?

and why would increased taxation of oil lead to recession. Oil companies have been having record quarter and after record quarter for some time now, if congress enforced that the taxes would come from earned profits rather than perceived profit cuts I think we would be alright

4 Year Schools are hemorrhaging money already. Cutting money spent by the student would put many schools out of business. The Government isn't gonna pay for it.

Oil companies would raise their prices to record levels to pass the economic damage such things would cause on to their customers. If gas goes to $5 a gallon, we're fucked. Recession guaranteed.

4 year schools could get plenty of dollars off that government teat, not to mention that NCAA programs are generating the kind of dollars where coaches are now receiving million dollar plus annual salaries, distribute the money that comes to the school via extracurricular activities towards education and money for professors and things could potentially get better.

Gas is inevitably going to hit the $5 mark, but like I said if you make it so that these oil corporations with their record profits cannot pass on the tax to the consumer but rather must take it from they windfalls they are earning Joe American should be ok.

anyways its all talk right now. A politician preaching the kind of change his or her constituents would want is unfathomable

• 4 year schools could get plenty of dollars off that government teat, not to mention that NCAA programs are generating the kind of dollars where coaches are now receiving million dollar plus annual salaries, distribute the money that comes to the school via extracurricular activities towards education and money for professors and things could potentially get better.

This is pretty uninformed.

NCAA programs are the only reason a lot of universities are even above water. And plaese to discuss "the government teat" that is giving universities "plenty of dollars".

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

4 year schools could get plenty of dollars off that government teat, not to mention that NCAA programs are generating the kind of dollars where coaches are now receiving million dollar plus annual salaries, distribute the money that comes to the school via extracurricular activities towards education and money for professors and things could potentially get better.

NCAA programs are the only reason a lot of universities are even above water. And plaese to discuss "the government teat" that is giving universities "plenty of dollars".

the teat is currently being milked in Iraq. take a fraction of that money and place it in universities rather than armed forces operations and I'm sure the financial worries of many of these universities would be lessened

7 figure contracts to coach an extracurricular activity in college is just obscene, don't you agree?

• No, I don't agree...

NCAA = one of the most significant sources of funding for a lot of universities, as well as significant incentive for full-tuition and out-of-state applications, people want to go to a school with jammin' sports teams. Part of that is making sure your coaching squad is well compensated

Do you really think re-allocating a few billion dollars is going to erase the financial problems many universities are facing?? Do you have any idea what the budget for a significant four year institution looks like? Are you considering that a single college can solicit tens of millions of dollars in "gifts" per semester?

Again, I think your heart's in the right place, and I do believe that we should be funnelling a lot more money to public education, but it's not like you erase a basketball program and get a top tier college with permanent financial stability in exchange.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    -Eliminate riders on bills in Congress.

-Allow Pentagon spending to be audited by an Independent outside of government firm.

-Eliminate the war on marijuana. Cocaine, meth and heroin,etc are fair game.

-Public funding ONLY of election campaigns for government officials, from US President, Congress, etc all the way down to State government level.

-Active recruiting in PUBLIC school systems of QUALIFIED TALENTED teachers, with increased pay levels for proved student success.

-Elimination of No-Child Left Behind testing, and substitute it with a National
    Test of bare minimum student aptitude.

-Active recruitment of Arabic speaking CIA agents from around the globe, rewards for good service, stiff penalties for treason.

I'm with you here.

-Elimination of support for and friendly diplomatic ties with totalitarian/brutal regimes around the world (Saudi Arabia, Egypt, China, Sudan, Russia, etc)

Well, this has certainly worked in Iran and Syria, so it's worth a shot here.

-Immediate removal of illegal immigrants from the US and crackdown on corrupt visa systems for getting into the US around the world, changing it to a meritocracy, no matter who the illegal is, or what country they are from.

Impossible. Never gonna happen. Even were someone to find the political will to push something like this through, it's logistically impossible. Illegal immigrants are fiscally necessary for everyone from farmers in CA's Central Valley to slaughterhouses in South Carolina to the restaurant you ate at last night.

-The elimination of using mercenary based companies in fighting foreign wars.

-Eliminate privatizing the United States Armed Forces and their contracts. I'm looking at you Halliburton.

This is silly. If it saves tax money, then why not?

-Heavy investment in ethanol and alternative clean burning fuel sources, as well as the investigation of feasibility of putting windmills and solar cells on uninhabited Federally held land across the US, as long as it doesn't majorly impact the local flora and fauna.

You do realize that the only way this is going to happen is through selective tax breaks to utility companies, right? We have to make the companies _want_ to build clean energy.

-Elimination of government tax breaks to oil and gas companies.

-Ban commercial fishing within 200 miles of all American shores. Pole and small net fishing only. NO trawling.

And what, mount up the Coast Guard every time the Canadians approach Georges Bank? No other country on Earth would recognize such a territory grab.

-Increase farm subsidies for farmers across the United States. Eliminate reliance on foreign countries for foodstuffs. Encourage local farmers and agricultural companies to grow local foodstuffs and distribute them locally, be it co-ops or local supermarkets.
    Are you insane!? The US produces more than enough food right now! We've got silos full of rotting corn because of farm subsidies making it economical to grow huge surpluses. Farm subsidies are the problem, not the solution.

The acid started kicking in near the end of your post, I could tell.

• 4 year schools could get plenty of dollars off that government teat, not to mention that NCAA programs are generating the kind of dollars where coaches are now receiving million dollar plus annual salaries, distribute the money that comes to the school via extracurricular activities towards education and money for professors and things could potentially get better.

the teat is currently being milked in Iraq. take a fraction of that money and place it in universities rather than armed forces operations and I'm sure the financial worries of many of these universities would be lessened

7 figure contracts to coach an extracurricular activity in college is just obscene, don't you agree?

some of those 7 figure contracts help bring in a lot of money; its not just the revenue made by the sport, but alumns give a lot back to schools through the atheletic programs.

There are a lot of questions within universities about how atheletic money should be allocated and spent, but I don't think it is the largest financial problem a lot of schools face. I would say the number or higher education institutions in this country with any coach that gets 7 figures is a small percentage of the number of insitutions in this country as a whole.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man, some of you guys are really smoking some crazy shit. Cause and effect should be in order when talking like this.

Speaking about Universities. A cap should be put on what many professors & administration get paid. Many are already making more that what our Prime minister gets paid.

Awhile ago, it was found out that an official at my place of work, quit their job. Got a massive severance package and was still paid their salary for 2 years. Not a good look. And we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• Speaking about Universities. A cap should be put on what many professors & administration get paid. Many are already making more that what our Prime minister gets paid.

That is a surefire way to ensure that all talented individuals make their way into the private sector and the lowest common denominator teaches college.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    -Eliminate riders on bills in Congress.

Oh, I meant to mention this as well. I'm not in favor of eliminating all riders, though, just ones that have very little or nothing to do with the actual bill. Like, if the bill is about highway funding, then inserting a provision related to highway funding is OK. But if a popular bill that you don't like is going to get passed, attempting to deep-six it with some sort of ridiculous rider is out of bounds, as is trying to sneak unrelated legislation in on a sureshot bill.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    -Stop the "War on Drugs"

and the 'War on Terrorism'.

I think we should all ask ourselves...

• Speaking about Universities. A cap should be put on what many professors & administration get paid. Many are already making more that what our Prime minister gets paid.

That is a surefire way to ensure that all talented individuals make their way into the private sector and the lowest common denominator teaches college.

This is another area where a delicate balance needs to be struck (like most things in this thread...)

My dad is in University Admin, and he says college president's are overpaid. so, i take his word on that. At the same time, in many fields, as paycheck said, you need to pay more to profs/lecturers/researchers so that they can attract money, grants, etc. to your school. Like most things, a lot of schools spend money to make money.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Speaking about Universities. A cap should be put on what many professors & administration get paid. Many are already making more that what our Prime minister gets paid.

That doesn't sound like an American problem, anyway--not a whole lot of academics pulling in more than the President (whose salary is only around 500K, anyway, I think).

They are, for the most part, grossly underpaid, and that reality pushes a lot of talented people away from the academy.

This is another area where a delicate balance needs to be struck (like most things in this thread...)

moderation!? please BAN

what up g*****! Where's my cds?

-Eliminate privatizing the United States Armed Forces and their contracts. I'm looking at you Halliburton.

Well, a big part of the problem is that merceneries are...well, merceneries. In Iraq, for example, they operate independently of our armed forces. They are not bound by the same rules of engagement--or any rules of engagement at all, really--and can fuck up actual military actions and strategy. Supposedly one of the big problems with mercs in Iraq is that they drive convoys at breakneck speed through towns and will open fire at the drop of a hat.

The military works best when the involved units know what the other units are doing. Mercenery forces are total wild cards. A carefully planned operation could be completely undone by some mercenery yahoos, you know?

• This is another area where a delicate balance needs to be struck (like most things in this thread...)

moderation!? please BAN

what up g*****! Where's my cds?

In my pile of things that need to go to the postoffice...you know, the one that has been sitting next to the door for 3 months.

season's over. i'll have time to breathe now.

My dad is in University Admin, and he says college president's are overpaid. so, i take his word on that.

Well, what's overpaid?

I think they top out at around $1M, and most of them are not making anything close to that.

But even $1M, while a big number, doesn't seem obscene to me when considered against the type of salaries that the doctors and lawyers who pass through these institutions are able to command.

Regardless, we're talking about private institutions, here, so it's not really the government's business, anyway.

My dad is in University Admin, and he says college president's are overpaid. so, i take his word on that.

Well, what's overpaid?

I think they top out at around $1M, and most of them are not making anything close to that.

But even $1M, while a big number, doesn't seem obscene to me when considered against the type of salaries that the doctors and lawyers who pass through these institutions are able to command.

Regardless, we're talking about private institutions, here, so it's not really the government's business, anyway.

He was speaking in the context of state schools, where presidents should be subject to more salaray scrutiny. agreed, private institutions can do whatever they please.

This was all discussed regarding a bill passed by the state of maine which was to limit state university president salaries...just for context.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    -Immediate removal of illegal immigrants from the US and crackdown on corrupt visa systems for getting into the US around the world, changing it to a meritocracy, no matter who the illegal is, or what country they are from.

-Companies that outsource jobs have all tax breaks and perks provided by the United States eliminated.

The 2nd thing is actually the solution to the 1st. Building a 700 mile US-Mexico fence and swooping up illegals miss the point. Employers of illegals need to be penalized and imprisoned. The problem is the illegal immigration issue in this country is beholden to the corporate farming and meatpacking lobbies, among others. They need cheap labor to make $ and stay competitive. The reason people keep coming here is for JOBS. US companies that hire illegals are actually outsourcing factory jobs to cheap labor within our own borders. There needs to be a crackdown on these companies, the problem is US Immigration and Customs Enforcement has made workplace enforcement such a low priority that it isn't going to happen.

As far as penalizing US companies that outsource jobs, that's ridiculous. That's capitalism, this is the system we live in and benefit from that makes McD's and Starbucks possible. At least they are legally outsourcing jobs, compared to the thousands of US companies that break the law by hiring illegal workers.

Well, a big part of the problem is that merceneries are...well, merceneries. In Iraq, for example, they operate independently of our armed forces. They are not bound by the same rules of engagement--or any rules of engagement at all, really--and can fuck up actual military actions and strategy. Supposedly one of the big problems with mercs in Iraq is that they drive convoys at breakneck speed through towns and will open fire at the drop of a hat.

The military works best when the involved units know what the other units are doing. Mercenery forces are total wild cards. A carefully planned operation could be completely undone by some mercenery yahoos, you know?

I hear what you're saying, but I would have to assume that the Pentagon has some control over any private forces. No sane military commander would let an armed group into their sector without at least some command over them.

Your point seems plausible on the surface, but has it happened? Can you provide a source?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

this would mean the removal of my brother in law/ father to my nephew. He came to this country as a child with his family. Because of his status he is unable to find any work outside of the stereotypical jobs you'd expect an illegal immigrant to work. It's a long and depressing road he's had to travel.

the illegal issue is a slippery slope, one that can (and will) do a lot more damage than benefit if ever implemented. In my particular case we are talking about breaking up a famliy.

Well, what's overpaid?

He was speaking in the context of state schools, where presidents should be subject to more salaray scrutiny. agreed, private institutions can do whatever they please.

Well, how obscene can the salaries of state university presidents possibly be?

I'm sure that all of the salaries at the top end of the market--the ones edging towards $1M that I can see people getting bent out of shape over--are private.

Do you know what the numbers he was objecting to are? Just curious.

While I partly agree. Maybe you can give a number to which would be enough to make sure an institution has the best people working for it? Or for that matter, does paying someone top dollar mean your getting what you pay for?

Institutions of higher learning are no longer there to educate. It's now about making money. And now schools are following in the footsteps of how companies are run.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing mind you. Except, students are the ones getting the shaft as tuition fee's skyrocket.

While I partly agree. Maybe you can give a number to which would be enough to make sure an institution has the best people working for it? Or for that matter, does paying someone top dollar mean your getting what you pay for?

Institutions of higher learning are no longer there to educate. It's now about making money. And now schools are following in the footsteps of how companies are run.

Who, exactly, do you think they exist in order to make money for?

The faculty?

The trustees?

The president?

And in the case of public schools, I don't even know who would be at the heart of your theory... uh, the governor?

Well, what's overpaid?

I'm sure that all of the salaries at the top end of the market--the ones edging towards $1M that I can see people getting bent out of shape over--are private.

I think you are probably right about the private/public distinction. Don't know specific numbers on what he was objecting do. As I recall, he was echoing a growing concern in the academic community that more and more state president's were getting paid a lot more than what was published by the time housing, bonuses, pensions, etc. were factored in.

Like I said, he's always worked in public institutions and he's pretty high up the administrative ladder, so that is the area where he is most concerned with and I trust his knowledge. my mother, also a professor, echoed his statement. this isn't some, 'my daddy is super smart, and the last word on the topic.' just telling from whence i speak.

But, on the public/private tip, the president of Harvard and Stanford are a totally different talent pool than the president of Michigan Tech. They will be rewarded thusly.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I don??t know and I don??t care about domestic issues that much, but a change in foreign policy would be great.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing mind you. Except, students are the ones getting the shaft as tuition fee's skyrocket.

I don't think it's important to have some arbitrary salary cap, and surely is a decision best left up to each institution...

I really disagree as to the purpose of institutions - if you think they're some huge cash cow you are either misinformed or delusional. I thought you were going to say that they are now primarily there for research, and that to an extent is true.

Many institutions, both public and private, have significant budget balancing issues... I don't know where some of these perceptions are coming from.

I am more concerned about the percentage of students who are not being considered because they're not paying full tuition, and the lack of education at the high school level as to grant, scholarship, and tuition assistance options.

Well, what's overpaid?

I think you are probably right about the private/public distinction. Don't know specific numbers on what he was objecting do. As I recall, he was echoing a growing concern in the academic community that more and more state president's were getting paid a lot more than what was published by the time housing, bonuses, pensions, etc. were factored in.

Like I said, he's always worked in public institutions and he's pretty high up the administrative ladder, so that is the area where he is most concerned with and I trust his knowledge. my mother, also a professor, echoed his statement. this isn't some, 'my daddy is super smart, and the last word on the topic.' just telling from whence i speak.

Haha... no, I don't doubt your father at all. I just wonder whether the numbers would be as wrankling to a disinterested taxpayer as they are to someone within the university hierarchy.

I hear what you're saying, but I would have to assume that the Pentagon has some control over any private forces. No sane military commander would let an armed group into their sector without at least some command over them.

Your point seems plausible on the surface, but has it happened? Can you provide a source?

Unfortunately, the Pentagon exerts little to no control over private forces. At least that's my understanding. The Pentagon controls the military, but private forces are non-military--they're private.

The best recent source I can think of is Thomas Ricks' book, which I can reference when I get home. There was a whole section about the problems the mercenery forces were causing military commanders

and the lack of education at the high school level as to grant, scholarship, and tuition assistance options.

^^^^^Huge problem

A lot of times the money is there, but the people most in need of it lack the resources or cultural capital to know how to go about getting it.

Who, exactly, do you think they exist in order to make money for?

The faculty?

The trustees?

The president?

And in the case of public schools, I don't even know who would be at the heart of your theory... uh, the governor?

Not to get into things (Since I'm getting ready to leave for the day). But, I just find it mildly entertaining that an average department head can be making more money than the person running the country. Let alone the president of the institution who is making 5 to 10 times that.

Also, to the fact that while a professor can get a $20 to 30 thousand pay increase from the year before. People who work just as hard for the same place will get a 9 cents and hour raise.

25%+ raise compared to less than 1%. Something just doesn't add up.

But whatever.