SOULSTRUT EXCLUSIVE: SOULMAN presents G.U.N

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    am i listening to the wrong thing?

i wanted to be able to rep for my boys from the burgh and the beatdiggin king from philly, but these joints just didnt know to me.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

i wanted to be able to rep for my boys from the burgh and the beatdiggin king from philly, but these joints just didnt know to me.

Didn't know to me???

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    btw, what was the problem with the testpress? was it the sound or that the needle jumped the grooves? cus it was the 2nd it could be because the wide stereo picture. when pressing wax its good to keep low freqs and the lower midrange mono.

The overall sound of the test press wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but the 3rd song came out REAL distorted and crazy. The dudes who mastered it are the dudes who do the cleaning up and remastering for the Dusty Fingers comps, so trust that they did their part right.

Yo McDee, you want a job mixing my next project? Because seriously, I don't know jack about all the intricacies of sound recording! You seem to know your shizz. I'm from the old school, we used to dub tapes by putting two boom boxes next to each other, hit play on one, record on the other and that was it! Dogs barking in the background, phones ringing, etc. So I'm used to that extra grimy, gritty, terrible sound quality- I love it, actually. I'm lost when it comes to inverted sinewaves and all that. I think whatever the problem you heard is probably came from the process of ripping the MP3, or maybe something that happened when I did my little megamix. I dunno, 'cuz I don't hear it at all. But thanks for the tips, I'll most def look into it.

Yeah well I'm not that confident myself really but I'm alot better with mixing friends material compared to mixing my own shit. Always good to have someone from the outside with fresh ears handle the mix... If you want me to do it I could do it for free. I basicly need more experience! (.......and have too limited experience to start charging people for it lol)

I love that gritty shit aswell... and even the terrible soundquality like you said, demo type shit... I guess its part of the problem when mixing my own stuff, just dont see things that clearly! When I've been working on a beat with bad sound for like 2 weeks or whatever, I start to appretiate that sound, and dont hear the bad things anymore... if you know what I mean! For my next project Im gonna let my homie handle the mixing for sure.

And yo, is Dusty Fingers really known for having good quality?

That's what I thought... they take beat up records and make them sound crystal clear for those comps. Again, I honestly don't know a damn thing about sound quality. It's like the least most important thing for me when I'm listening to music (as long as it's not a record with so much surface noise that I can't hear the music or something like that). I get annoyed much more by stuff that's too clean and sterile sounding, all cold like it was made in a stainless steel laboratory. I like all the flaws and imperfections, I dunno- I guess it makes it seem more human and less robotic to me.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

That's what I thought... they take beat up records and make them sound crystal clear for those comps.

Its says on the back that they have the original reels or something like that but is that really possible? The records are hard enough to find, how could you really have the reels?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

That's what I thought... they take beat up records and make them sound crystal clear for those comps. Again, I honestly don't know a damn thing about sound quality. It's like the least most important thing for me when I'm listening to music (as long as it's not a record with so much surface noise that I can't hear the music or something like that). I get annoyed much more by stuff that's too clean and sterile sounding, all cold like it was made in a stainless steel laboratory. I like all the flaws and imperfections, I dunno- I guess it makes it seem more human and less robotic to me.

yo, fuck it money, the sound quality is straight to me. I was feelin it, the leo sayer beat is crazy! THe rappers should switch up their cadence sometimes to try and sound a little more distinctive, but its overall a dope effort. Congrats man! good to see projects coming together. If yall need beats, pm me cause I got a million.

• bboybboy 13 Posts
    dope stuff.

props for puttin Willie Ev on, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUVAL.

• Soulmaing,

you're getting love (g)unlimited over in London baby...

J

• james1skijames1ski 22 Posts
    I really dig this release, will it be distributed in Australia? Keep it up the good work.

Peace!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

That's what I thought... they take beat up records and make them sound crystal clear for those comps.

Its says on the back that they have the original reels or something like that but is that really possible? The records are hard enough to find, how could you really have the reels?

I don't own any Dusty Fingers, so I can't speak on the liner notes, but I remember DustyKid posting here about the rather expensive device they use to insure a clean transfer from vinyl.

Didn't know to me???
    sorry, dont know why i typed know. i meant knock

Didn't know to me???

Cool, no love lost, hommie. You are still TheMack!

How about this one- "Steel City Tears Pt. 2" from the G.U.N / 9th Wonder "Out Da Gutter" promo mixtape

• Its says on the back that they have the original reels or something like that but is that really possible? The records are hard enough to find, how could you really have the reels?

My guess would be Master Tapes or Master Copy of the final mix,
    which many groups, companies, publishers, etc... Keep locked away in a archive or someones closet, and are still obtainable in some cases either by asking or licensing.

Original Multi-track reels is still possible but probably unlikely not to mention very difficult to work with unless you have access to a similair setup said tapes were recorded on.
    This can be a very expensive proposition as well.

I know I would love to start getting my hands on original Multi-track reels.
    If anyone has leads, holla.
    I got an analog studio - Reel to Reel decks, customized analog board, rack gear, yes & Pro Tools as well for the digital folls!

SoulMan if you wanna run the G.U.N. through some Analog guns... holler at me.
    A little Distressor EL8-X in the mix never hurt nobody!

I personally love big semi-noisy loud sounding squished saturated mixes, think old school Red Alert or marley marl radio tapes that have been dubbed 10 times.

Audio folls (myself included) can nitpick mixes to no end, but the bottom line is as long as it sounds good to you & you're happy thats what really matters.
    And definitely let a bonafied mastering engineer make it technically sound for it's intended format. Thats where you do not want to cut corners.

Didn't know to me???

How about this one- "Steel City Tears Pt. 2" from the G.U.N / 9th Wonder "Out Da Gutter" promo mixtape
    damn. thats joint is nice man. is that the white dude rappin? he's pretty nice i guess.

I really dig this release, will it be distributed in Australia? Keep it up the good work.

Peace!

Thanks, james1ski... I'm not sure about the Australian distro right now. I hope so! I'm sure if there's enough demand we will be worldwide with it. I will PM you with some info though, my man.

damn. thats joint is nice man. is that the white dude rappin? he's pretty nice i guess.

Yeah, I know what you like, TheMack. You need those loud ass 9th Wonder snares to really feel it properly!
    Yes, that is the white dude rappin', my man Soma Candelaria. I didn't want to hype it too much on this thread because I'm obviously biased, but I gotta say it- IMO my boy Carm (Soma) is one of the nicest out there with the lyrics. I have listened to a lot of emcees and studied their rhymes for years, TheMack- this dude is the truth. You gotta listen, though, because I think the average listener just gets into the groove and doesn't really pay attention to the lyrics like they should. My man is deep, if you don't really get into what he's saying it'll go right over your head. He's got some other stuff in the can that blows me away everytime I hear it. (And I can't forget my man Big Ghate, he's got some real sick stuff too- again, you gotta really listen to get the full appreciation.)
    You gotta stand up for these cats, TheMack... this is yo' city, cuddo! Ain't nobody else puttin' Clemente Bridge on their record jackets, mane!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    the friendly fire horn loop has been running through my head all day--props phill. let us know when the vinyl is coppable

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This Steel City beat is on some serious science with the chopped vocal!! So much proper room inbetween those elements, too.

I did what you said this time and really focused on the lyrics and eventho I thought it was dope the first time around, now have a greater appreciation for it. It does take a few peeps to able to ride his rhymestyle, but there's a huge payoff when it hits you.

How are you finding the local support, Phill? Are they going to support and supply the project?

the friendly fire horn loop has been running through my head all day--props phill. let us know when the vinyl is coppable

Cool... that's what I like to hear! That was the song that came out all distorted on the test press. Thankfully the dudes who cut them owned up the mistake and are redoing them for me. so it looks like we will have some coppable vinyl very soon, my man. I'll definitely make sure errrbody knows when it's available.

This Steel City beat is on some serious science with the chopped vocal!! So much proper room inbetween those elements, too.

I did what you said this time and really focused on the lyrics and eventho I thought it was dope the first time around, now have a greater appreciation for it. It does take a few peeps to able to ride his rhymestyle, but there's a huge payoff when it hits you.

Word up, Drewn. Sometimes my man will just send me an e-mail with one of his verses typed out, and it's like whoa... straight up poetry, beautiful shit. I'm gonna get off the G.U.N nuts right now (AY YO PASUE) but for real... anybody who's undecided about it, plaese give a few listens and let the words sink in. If you appreciate lyricism I think you'll appreciate this G.U.N shit. Mike Jones fans are probably never gonna love it, but that's cool. We love y'all anyway!

How are you finding the local support, Phill? Are they going to support and supply the project?

Well, I know my peoples at Cue are gonna support, no question. I'm not even steppin' to Armands and Sounds of G-Town or places like that, but they may get copies anyway from whoever we end up doing distribution through. Once we get some finished cds and rackords we'll start seeing just what kind of support we're gonna get.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I'm not even steppin' to Armands and Sounds of G-Town or places like that,

how come?

how come?

Ehhh... I don't think they'd even support unless they got the recs through a distributor. Just dealing with the attitudes of some of these people in those types of shops, man... I'd be ready to flip on dudes if they give me that blah attitude, fo' real. Anyway, we'll see, Tonino (oops... Tripledub- my bad ). I probably should just have one of my sales reps go knocking on everybody's door tryin' to slang G.U.N cds.

"Good afternoon, ma'am... would your desperate housewife ass be interested in this new G.U.N shit?"

SoulMan if you wanna run the G.U.N. through some Analog guns... holler at me.
    A little Distressor EL8-X in the mix never hurt nobody!

No doubt.... that sounds like a good idea. I will holler (or just PM you) in a minute.

And definitely let a bonafied mastering engineer make it technically sound for it's intended format. Thats where you do not want to cut corners.

Very true- although those folls don't always do what they're supposed to do, either! All I've ever heard from dudes who are on the technical side is "roll back the bass, it's too much bass, you don't want it too sound muddy, yadda yadda". It's true, you don't want it to be muddy, but this is hip hop... you gotta have bass!!! Ah, well... I don't even concern myself with that side of it too much any more. I'm tryin' to just pass the sound responsibilities on to somebody I can trust with it and let them handle it from now on. Dealing with that shizz will give me an ulcer if I don't watch out.

• By the way Phil, I am digging the hell out of that Clemente wall/bridge in the photos. I am a sucker for old Pirates shit. The players,the team colors,the dope ass jerseys and pin striped hats..unfadeable(so please dont try to fade me). Anyways..just wanted to let that be know..props on the wall!

ps-I always dug when whats his name from Suicidal Tendencies rocked the old school Pirates cap back in the day..dude looked

By the way Phil, I am digging the hell out of that Clemente wall/bridge in the photos. I am a sucker for old Pirates shit. The players,the team colors,the dope ass jerseys and pin striped hats..unfadeable(so please dont try to fade me). Anyways..just wanted to let that be know..props on the wall!

ps-I always dug when whats his name from Suicidal Tendencies rocked the old school Pirates cap back in the day..dude looked

Yeah, mane! Glad you're diggin' that. I always loved the Pirates "Old Timers" caps. These were real popular for awhile in the old school days of hip hop (1979-1980 era)- you could get them in all colors. I have video footage of Grandmaster Caz rockin' at the T-Connection wearing a burgendy one. Talk about !!!

BTW, the dudes in G.U.N are serious sports fans- rockin' the Pirates throwbacks has nothing at all to do with being in style or out of style for them, it's about reppin' the city and that whole "team" mentality. That was totally their idea to pose in front of that mural- a good idea, I think.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    hey, do you have stores lined up in the Burgh where we'll be able to pick this up? or do you just leave that to the distros...

• By the way Phil, I am digging the hell out of that Clemente wall/bridge in the photos. I am a sucker for old Pirates shit. The players,the team colors,the dope ass jerseys and pin striped hats..unfadeable(so please dont try to fade me). Anyways..just wanted to let that be know..props on the wall!

Yeah, mane! Glad you're diggin' that. I always loved the Pirates "Old Timers" caps. These were real popular for awhile in the old school days of hip hop (1979-1980 era)- you could get them in all colors. I have video footage of Grandmaster Caz rockin' at the T-Connection wearing a burgendy one. Talk about !!!

BTW, the dudes in G.U.N are serious sports fans- rockin' the Pirates throwbacks has nothing at all to do with being in style or out of style for them, it's about reppin' the city and that whole "team" mentality. That was totally their idea to pose in front of that mural- a good idea, I think.

hell yeah! thats my shit..oh how I wish that damn hat looked okay on my head..id kill to rock it. Its funny..I grew up playing little league down here for a "Pirates" team for like 8 years. Being that..I automatically LOVED the real Pirates(barry,bobby,etc). I kept all my old Pirates jerseys mostly because you cant FUCK with those colors...shit is GANGSTER in book.

damn I wish that hat would fit me right..I really need it.

hey, do you have stores lined up in the Burgh where we'll be able to pick this up? or do you just leave that to the distros...

We're gonna make sure that it's in stores in the Burgh, no question... do you have any underground spots that deal with vinyl out there? Definitely there will be cds at the important spots, that's for sure.

hell yeah! thats my shit..oh how I wish that damn hat looked okay on my head..id kill to rock it. Its funny..I grew up playing little league down here for a "Pirates" team for like 8 years. Being that..I automatically LOVED the real Pirates(barry,bobby,etc). I kept all my old Pirates jerseys mostly because you cant FUCK with those colors...shit is GANGSTER in book.

damn I wish that hat would fit me right..I really need it.

Man, just rock it anyway! Get it kinda big and pull it down low. I know what you mean, though... if you don't have the right kind of head those "pillbox" caps don't really look right. I have that problem with army caps- if they look right then I'm getting brain damage from the tightness, if they feel right then my head looks like it's swimming in 'em.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

how come?
    FUCK ARMANDS!!They're staff is, to quote the GZA, a bunch of bitches.