Eugene, OR - what's good BATCHES!!!!

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So I've gone to all the Animal House spots - what else is hot & popping in the city???

Comments

• if you can make it to the coast...check the sand dunes.

• Absolutely nothing. Get out of there as swiftly as humanly possible.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Absolutely nothing. Get out of there as swiftly as humanly possible.

sayin' i spent few days there looking at grad school. not a fan.

something awfully strange in a bad way. and i'm not even including all the goddamn hippies and meth heads.

something awfully strange in a bad way. and i'm not even including all the goddamn hippies and meth heads.

yeah, the next town over, springfield is the meth capitol of the world?!?

OR is cool with me. don't get me wrong. Portland is fine. Get into the Willamette Valley to taste wine. The coast is cool too.

• G*****s, your best bet is to head up to Portland!

• Love to head to Portland, but I'm in Eugene for a show Friday night and I leave saturday morning to go to an even sweeter spot - Kennewick, WA!!!!!

I figured it'd be pointless asking about that town....

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Like any other town, spending a few days may not get you the best picture.
    That's like saying DC is all crackheads and assholes politicians.
    Eugene has it's draw backs, but it's got some coolish stuff their too.
    Record Stores:
    House of Records on E 13th
    Record Exchange Downtown 6th Maybe
    and couple of other spots downtown.

Food:
    High St Cafe (Part of the McMenimins Empire, great food, better beer)
    Track Town Pizza (Really collegey but grubbin'!)
    Micheala's (Thai)
    Mazzi's (Italian)

Good luck, punch a dirty hippy for me, or try to go see a Duck
    B-Ball game. A hard ticket to find but seriously the craziest place to
    see a game EVAR, they don't call it the PIt for nothin'!
    On the second or third tier you feel like you are gonna fall onto
    the court. Nothing like it anywhere.

• good looks on the spots!!!!! Won't be able to catch a Duck game, but I heard it was off the hook.

Like any other town, spending a few days may not get you the best picture.

you're right. that's why i put that up front.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Eugene used to be much better for records than it is today. Many stores closed (Mr. Mike's, that weird place over on Franklin, Record Revolution, Face the Music, that weird place in the converted gas station over on 6th), other stores (Green Noise) moved to Portland. I'd be surprised if you found anything much worthwhile at House of Records, but they have the most records in town. The only remaining outpost of the Record Garden is now in Springfield - they used to have three stores, with the Springfield one being lame. Now it's all they've got. There's a smallish spot on Wilamette between 11th and 8th that also sells books - occasionally rotates some good stock through. My brother also said there is some art gallery/record store, but I haven't seen it.

If you want to sample the best veggie-hippie-crunchola food in the world, go to the Keystone Cafe for breakfast. The coffee is self-serve, and the vegan powerhouse breakfast is OUTSTANDING. My usual breakfast choice is sausage biscuits and gravy, so I don't usually go in for that vegan shit, but this is not that vegan shit, this is the vegan powerhouse breakfast of champions. It's on 5th Street, kind of close to the underpass. Likely to be full of hippies, occasionally with dogs.

Other food items of note in Eugene - chocolate pot de creme at Excelsior Cafe (13th street by campus) is off the hook; Sy's New York pizza is legit New York pizza (Alder street by Campus); breakfast at the Glenwood cafe is consistently decent (13th and Alder by campus (waffle location); Willamette and 26th? (pancake location)); drinks and food at Cafe Soriah are good (I used to know the bartender - 11th and Lincoln or so); my brother really likes the brunch at Studio One Cafe (19th and Agate or so - right next to 19th Street Cafe).

I love Eugene. Fuck the haters. No better place to ride a bike safely in this country. Believe that.

Go Ducks.

JRoot

PM if you need more information, but it may take me a sec to respond. I don't live here anymore.

• JRoot - Big UPS!!!! I won't have time to hit all them food spots, but it's good to know as I'll prolly be back in the U in the fall.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    man, I bought about 60 LPs in 3 hours at the thrifts in Eugene. Fools are spoiled or some schit!!!

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    February 11th, 2007

Eugene Record Convention
    at the Hilton.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    February 11th, 2007

Eugene Record Convention
    at the Hilton.

Haven't been to that show in ages, hows it been?
    Last one I went to was 10 years ago maybe,
    I remember how everyone was freaking out cause
    Beck was there buy lots of records at serious prices.
    I think that was soon after Odelay so he was ballin'!

cops held a gun to my head in eugene and then told me to leave town.and im a mellow type of fellow.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    February 11th, 2007

Eugene Record Convention
    at the Hilton.

Haven't been to that show in ages, hows it been?
    Last one I went to was 10 years ago maybe,
    I remember how everyone was freaking out cause
    Beck was there buy lots of records at serious prices.
    I think that was soon after Odelay so he was ballin'!

It's been decent the last couple of years. Plenty of good, cheap records if you show up early (even more if you sneak your way in during dealer load-in).

• man, I bought about 60 LPs in 3 hours at the thrifts in Eugene. Fools are spoiled or some schit!!!

yeah I have no doubt I'll catch something, but for 5-0 to step to one of the more mellow dudes I've ever met is certainly

what's good T**y!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

yeah, the next town over, springfield is the meth capitol of the world?!?

Otherwise known as Springtucky.

man, I bought about 60 LPs in 3 hours at the thrifts in Eugene. Fools are spoiled or some schit!!!

Just wait until garage sale season and it's like you can record shop all day every day.

Is that St. Vincent distribution center on the westside of town still open?

I lived in Eugene for little over a year and the one place that I would have to recommend for anyone to go check out on the eating tip is:

Kona Cafe Hawaiian Barbecue & Catering
    46th & Main
    Springfield, OR 97477

Their lava chicken plate is awesome.

Some other things, I miss are:

The tomato soup at the Glenwood Cafe.

I forget the name of the spot, but there's a cafe just off of Willamette at around 16th(?) that has the best club sandwich anywhere. Anyone know where I'm talking about?

Some Blue Heron Pale Ale would be nice.

The chef's special from the Pizza Research Institute is a unique eating experience that should be attempted at least once.

And Saturday Market of course.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Record Stores:
    House of Records on E 13th

best sections imo:

awesome lesbian section
    the records on the low shelves were better than the crap they had in the racks
    intl was cool and all the "other" categories

they offered to show me more records but the wife and i wanted to cut out and eat some food.

nice farmers market too...

...portland is better...

• ...portland is better...

yeah yeah yeah