favorite donut

2»

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Roll N' Donut, Elgin, IL. Best all around donuts. The first time I went there, it was the drive thru at about noon. They were out of most donuts (a sign of a good donut shop is that they run out of things by noon) so I had to fall back to vanilla-frosted cake (like my tenth choice). It was sublime. The crumb was big, the cake was every so slightly savory, and the icing was the perfect consistency. I've been back a half dozen times at least, and the donuts are always outstanding. You will not be disappointed when you get a donut, any donut, from Roll N' Donut. (but the coffee is a little suspect)

Dat Donut, Chicago, IL. Don't be afraid to try the Big Dat. It is remarkable. The Devil's Food was also exquisite, though inconsistent on repeated visits.

LaMar's Donuts, Kansas City, MO. LaMar's is a regional chain (franchising out in the 90s before the death of founder Ray LaMar), but the best ones are in KC. Hit up the fluff filled LaMar's Bar or if you're feeling sexy, the chocolate fluff filled LaMar's Bar. It's in a class by itself. 35g of fat that you will never regret ingesting.

Old Fashioned Donuts, Chicago, IL. I had a still warm apple fritter here once that melted my mind. I also got solicited for business showing up in a suit. Folks need lawyers at 113th and Michigan.

Lil Krispies, Jefferson City, MO. Fresh fried to order mini-donuts. Get a bag of the cinnamon sugar ($2), or if you're feeling like a splurge, get the plain and a chocolate dip on the side. Fifty cents extra for the dip.

Dunkin Donuts are child's play, my friends. If they aren't hand cut or cooked to order or local, they are out of the running for best donut. I would definitely go in for a Dunkin if no other donuts could be had (my favorite is what used to be known as chocolate honey-dipped, or if I'm really hungry, chocolate iced cream filled). Krispy Kreme are only worth eating when hot, and when made on site. There was this place in Chicago loop that re-heated and re-drizzled them with glaze for show in the window that made them totally sick.

I should weigh a lot more than I do, given my love for donuts. They rule.

JRoot

PS Why is there no place in Columbia, MO that sells donuts besides the grocery store?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    //////donut pro?

wow!
    you know your shit.

• Krispy Kreme..oeiginal glazed..act like ya know

But for me, it's really all about:

"Schnecken" simply means ???snail??? in German. A schnecken is made by rolling out a flat piece of dough, brushing it liberally with melted butter and adding cinnamon sugar and raisins. It is rolled up into a long ???rope??? and cut into slices (that look like snails because of the coils). The slices are baked in a bread mold (3 slices per mold) to form a loaf. A schnecken is made with lots of butter. The finished loaf is double wrapped in wax paper and boxed in a special ???Virginia Bakery??? box.

The original Virginia Bakery went out of business like 10 years ago...Busken bought their recipe...I usually stay away from carbs, but Schnekens are like Kryptonite to me.

• Maiers Cream Filled Donuts - I cannot find these anywhere. They are a PA staple. By far the best donut ever made. If anyone in PA can find these please let me know I would gladly pay $$$$ for a box of these. They come in blue box with clear cellophane so you can see the top half of the donut. I have dreams about these donuts. Please help me out.

• Come on someone hlep me out. Someone must know about these donuts.

• this place in Memphis, Gibsons Donuts has this donut called the New Orleans..I thought it was gonna be like a beignet, but its not...it is damn near spherical, very dense and eggy consistentcy, and lightly glazed and it is bad ass...you gotta get there early becasue they always sell out of those.

but as far as common donuts go, I like chocolate crullers...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    "Airworks"

I was going to say "lightworks." Eff it, I am still gonna say lightworks.