Anybody experienced with the Paypal Shopping Cart?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm trying to set up a Paypal shopping cart and it's driving me crazy. It seems that the good people at Paypal failed to appreciate that I might want to charge different shipping costs for different countries. Surely there's a way to address this, but I can't figure it out. Has anybody gone through this process before? I need help.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Check Out how I do it:

http://www.soulstrut.com/shop

One button for US & Canada, the Other for International.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I would like to know this as well - I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it. Not sure there is one. I always just email the buyers to paypal extra money for shipping.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I would like to know this as well - I haven't been able to figure out a way to do it. Not sure there is one. I always just email the buyers to paypal extra money for shipping.
    Also, what exactly do you need to set all of this up?

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Dan, I have been looking into this for the last 12 months, as I have wanted to set up a paypal store through my website..

I first looked into creating a paypal shopping cart, but like you found that the shipping options just didn't suit my needs, as I live outside of the USA.

after that I tried a whole bunch of different shopping cart softwares and websites - all of which failed to meet my needs..

I just recently came accross this software, which I have found perfect in every way (except one - more on that in a minute).

NTK PAYPAL SHOP BUILDER (Download Here)

Basically, its software, so you can do all your shop buiding / creating offline. You enter all your product info into a form, and it will generate the whole thing into a HTML shop.

One of the big advantages for me was that i could specify different shipping types for different countries (I currently am using a "pay x amount of dollars for 1 vinyl - add Y amount for additional vinyl" kind of scenario).

There wasn't any option to add a soundfile to my products, but I worked out that this can be fixed very easily by adding some HTML commands in my product information, linking back to some MP3's on my server..

the whole thing was fully customisable, and I have been real happy with it..

the only thing I don't like about it is that I would really like new records that I add to be displayed at the top of the list rather than the bottom - something that I am sure can be fixed with some backend HTML / java..

Dan - check your PM's..

• Check Out how I do it:

http://www.soulstrut.com/shop

One button for US & Canada, the Other for International.

I agree with Raj. It's fairly easy to set it up this way and it's easy for customers to understand and use. Just make different buttons for each item with different prices. You could theoretically make a button for several parts of the world. Kind of like this:

United States:
    ADD TO CART

United Kingdom:
    ADD TO CART

Japan:
    ADD TO CART

Each ADD TO CART button would be tagged with the appropriate shipping rate. I doubt you want to put that many buttons for each item though. You can always make a front page that asks them where they live. They can click on one of several regions that you list. Then they will be taken to the page that corresponds to them. You just make different versions of your store page to match up with where they clicked. You would only have one default store page, but that would force them to choose their location. After that you just alter your regular store page to match the correct prices. I did it and it only took a few minutes to get it all going.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. As always, soulstrut knows what's what. I followed Raj's approach and we'll see how it goes.

www.waxingdeep.org click on 'store'