Cookingstrut

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
What was the last thing that you cooked? I love food. I made whole wheat raspberry pancakes from scratch this morning, and served em up with some fresh strawberries and blueberries. kitchen man.

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah i am starting to cook more as well. me and my friend roasted some cornish hens stuffed with wild rice for some folls recently

my friend accidentally dropped a whole stick of butter in there though

i'm actually in the middle of a master cleanse fast right now, but i have been checking out recipes to try out when this is over. www.chow.com has a mess of easy but delicious recipes. even yummy drink recipes. highly recommended!

• made a killer eggplant parmesan last night. mmmm.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Strawberriey in January?

Anyway, I am going to cook a risotto with fresh chicken stock, carrots, stalk celery and peas now.

• Made some really good butternut squash risoto recently. Just got a brand new set of pots and pans for christmas so it has been a lot of fun cooking.

• butter should never be refered to as an "accident"!

last thing i made was steel cut oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and some milk. now i have gas.

ps
    hi cooking strut! can i come over and eat your cooking?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's all about grilling for me!

• it's all about grilling for me!

let me say that your psych mixes have provided excellent soundtrack to our latenight summer grilling sessions. still waiting on a tracklist from the more recent one!

• My recent cooking disaster:

On Christmas night, my friend and I were like fuck it, let's make dinner. I'm not celebrating Christmas, he's not celebrating Christmas, let's party. The only store open on Xmas night at 5PM was Target, so our food options were limited. He had pasta at home, I had some smoked salmon my sister had sent me from an Alaska trip, so we're like "Let's make pasta with Alfredo sauce and smoked salmon." Bet.

So we saw a jar of Alfredo sauce and I was like "This can't be too hard to make. Let's figure it out." He called and got a recipe from his girlfriend, who was out of town, and we kinda improvised from there. I now give you our fucked up Alfredo sauce recipe that you should never ever ever follow.

1) Dice some onions and mince some garlic. Brown them in a pan. Really let them burn up a bit. Nice and dark.
    2) Reduce the heat and add one cup of Half & Half. Oh yeah.
    3) Stir and watch as the burned parts from the onions blend in with the Half & Half, making a sort of melted chocolate chip ice cream color.
    3) Continue to stir until the color resembles tuna fish.
    4) Add a big pile of shredded parmesan cheese. Stir until it's real clumpy.
    5) Pour that shit on top of some pasta.

Luckily, I had a loaf of pumpkin bread in the oven that turned out perfectly, so that kinda saved the situation.

On Christmas night, my friend and I were like fuck it, let's make dinner. I'm not celebrating Christmas, he's not celebrating Christmas, let's party. The only store open on Xmas night at 5PM was Target, so our food options were limited. He had pasta at home, I had some smoked salmon my sister had sent me from an Alaska trip, so we're like "Let's make pasta with Alfredo sauce and smoked salmon." Bet.

So we saw a jar of Alfredo sauce and I was like "This can't be too hard to make. Let's figure it out." He called and got a recipe from his girlfriend, who was out of town, and we kinda improvised from there. I now give you our fucked up Alfredo sauce recipe that you should never ever ever follow.

1) Dice some onions and mince some garlic. Brown them in a pan. Really let them burn up a bit. Nice and dark.
    3) Stir and watch as the burned parts from the onions blend in with the Half & Half, making a sort of melted chocolate chip ice cream color.

Luckily, I had a loaf of pumpkin bread in the oven that turned out perfectly, so that kinda saved the situation.

Alright, Fettuccini Alfredo is very very simple. Do not buy those jars of alfredo sauce from the store. All you need is high quality parmesan, butter and pasta and black pepper. Cook the pasta when it is done mix in a small amount of the butter and make sure it coats the pasta so it doesn't stick together then mix in the cheese and the rest of the butter. You need to do it fast while the pasta is still hot. Do not use cold butter or cheese.

Alright, Fettuccini Alfredo is very very simple. Do not buy those jars of alfredo sauce from the store. All you need is high quality parmesan, butter and pasta and black pepper. Cook the pasta when it is done mix in a small amount of the butter and make sure it coats the pasta so it doesn't stick together then mix in the cheese and the rest of the butter. You need to do it fast while the pasta is still hot. Do not use cold butter or cheese.

youre forgeting the heavy whipping cream and parsley

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    butter should never be refered to as an "accident"!

I haven't cooked in a minute because I've been sick and doing the whole living-off-of-soup thing. But I did whip up some pretty nice stuffed sole fillets last week.

Obviously, you have never been to alfredo's in Rome. They do not use cream or parsley.

Obviously, you have never been to alfredo's in Rome. They do not use cream or parsley.

DOGG THIS AINT FRANCE!

DOGG THIS AINT FRANCE!

lol, you might be right just looked online and they do call for some cream, but when I ate there they basically made it in front of me and all I saw was cheese and butter I have made it since without cream and it has turned out really well.

• braised chicken w/ onions, garlic, mushrooms last night. turned out really really well.

1. cook 4 pieces of sliced bacon in pot, remove.
    2. place chicken skin side down in leftover bacon fat at HIGH heat. i picked up a fryer pack, so this was done thighs, legs, and wings. brown until skin is crispy and remove chicken.
    3. reduce to medium heat, add 2 tbsp butter and throw in one medium sized white/yellow onion, diced.
    4. cook onion until translucent, do not brown.
    5. add two cloves minced garlic, cook for about 2 mins.
    6. toss in mushrooms and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
    7. crank heat up to high and deglaze with one cup white wine. chardonnay was perfect.
    8. place chicken back into pot and add fresh thyme, and about 1/2-2/3 can chicken stock. oh and throw that bacon back in!
    9. simmer for about 45 minutes on medium low until sauce is reduced.
    10. serve over rice.

tall smoothie for dessert

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Ramen Noodle Mastermind dies

Instant noodle inventor dies at 96

Momofuku Ando, the founder-chairman of Nissin Food Products Co, who was widely known as the inventor of instant noodles, died of a heart failure this evening at a hospital in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture, his family said. He was 96.

Born on March 5, 1910 in Taiwan, Ando initially ran clothing companies in Taipei and Osaka while he was a student at Ritsumeikan University. In 1948, he founded the precursor of Nissin, before introducing Chicken Ramen, the world's first instant noodle product, in 1958.

Ando was inspired to develop the instant noodle after coming upon a long line of people on a cold night shortly after World War II waiting to buy freshly made ramen at a black market food stall, according to Nissin. The experience convinced him that "Peace will come to the world when the people have enough to eat," it said.

In 1971, Nissin introduced the Cup Noodle, instant noodles in a waterproof styrofoam container that could be used to cook the noodles, ahead of his competitors.

Dubbed the Ramen King, Ando is credited with expanding Nissin into the No.1 company in the industry and was well-known for his dedication to his job.

Kei Kizugawa, head of the Kamigata Geino journal, said Ando was a great food product inventor whose accomplishment equals that of Konosuke ****, the founder of **** Electric Industrial Co. and known in Japan as the Father of Consumer Electronics.

"I believe generation after generation will talk about Chicken Ramen. I don't think there will ever be an instant noodle product that beats the taste of Chicken Ramen," Kizugawa said.

Ando became a chairman after handing over the presidency in 1981 to his eldest son, but came to double as the president again two years later after having a conflict over the company's policy, including development of new products.

In 1999, Ando opened the Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum in Ikeda after posting his second son, Koki, as the president.

Ando retired from chairman's post in June 2005 to serve as founder-chairman.

In July 2005, Nissin introduced a vacuum packed instant noodle specially designed for Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi to eat during the US space shuttle Discovery's mission.

Showcasing his Space Ram noodles in front of reporters, Ando said: "I'm happy I've realised my dream that noodles can go into space."

Kyodo

• braised chicken w/ onions, garlic, mushrooms last night. turned out really really well.

1. cook 4 pieces of sliced bacon in pot, remove.
    2. place chicken skin side down in leftover bacon fat at HIGH heat. i picked up a fryer pack, so this was done thighs, legs, and wings. brown until skin is crispy and remove chicken.
    3. reduce to medium heat, add 2 tbsp butter and throw in one medium sized white/yellow onion, diced.
    4. cook onion until translucent, do not brown.
    5. add two cloves minced garlic, cook for about 2 mins.
    6. toss in mushrooms and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
    7. crank heat up to high and deglaze with one cup white wine. chardonnay was perfect.
    8. place chicken back into pot and add fresh thyme, and about 1/2-2/3 can chicken stock. oh and throw that bacon back in!
    9. simmer for about 45 minutes on medium low until sauce is reduced.
    10. serve over rice.

tall smoothie for dessert

that shit sounds PROPARR.

here's something in a similar vein... arroz con pollo with apples:
    http://food.realsimple.com/realsimple/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=780313

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

DOGG THIS AINT FRANCE!

lol

Been on the seafood tip the last two nights,,, last night it was cornmeal dredged shrimp with a warm papaya dipping sauce..the night b4 it was panko crusted flounder with a brown butter sauce (beurre noisette if we were in France) The flounder was super fresh and tasty. I had some leftover homemade carrot soup (potage puree crecy)for lunch. Tomorrow I'm gonna make bread dumplings with leftover stale bread and serve it with some braised chuck steak. mmmm bitch!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Took a roasted pork loin - cut it up to make Mei Fun soup last night.

• Made crab cakes with chipotle lime aoli on NYE before my gig...straight

Made crab cakes with chipotle lime aoli on NYE before my gig...straight

recipe please. chipotle lime aioli on crab cakes sounds heavenly

• I just kind of eyeball everything but here is a rough breakdown. This will make about 6 good sized cakes (two per person seems to be the norm) I tripled this.

1 pound crab meat (I used backfin lump because jumbo lump was like $40 a pound)
    1 egg
    about a scoop (heaping tablespoon?) of mayo
    teaspoon of worchestershire
    teaspoon of dijon mustard
    fresh italian flat leaf parsley
    teaspoon of lemon zest
    juice of half a lemon
    some skakes of old bay seasoning
    small handfull (1/4?) of panko japanese bread crumbs (can get at most super markets in the asian food section)
    Kosher salt (a big pinch) and several cranks of black pepper

Mix everything except the crab and panko in a bowl until combined well. fold in the panko and then GENTLY fold in the crab. form 6 patties and pan fry in vegetable or peanut oil until golden brown. You can also broil them, but I have never done it.

For the chipotle aoli:

A couple of canned chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce)
    mayo (1/2 cup or more?)
    a lime

zest the entire lime and juice one half of it. Combine well with the mayo. Mince the peppers (1 or two depending on how hot you want it) and mix them in too. You can also add some adobo sauce from the can to the mixture. You can adjust things to your liking. I like it to be more smokey and chipotle-y than limey. A small pinch of kosher salt should do it. fresh cilantro would be good too and you may want to substitute that for the parsley in the cakes...drizzle them on the cakes.

let me know how it turns out if any of you try it...

• I been puttin' in mad hours in the kitchen. Recently I've made entirely from scratch:

Red Chile Pork and Chicken Tamales (about 15 hours of work)
    Pork Green Chile Stew (about 10 hours)

Shit was real involved. Making tamales is fun but very time consuming and very trial-and-error when it comes to getting the dough right. The green chile is even harder to get right and mine didn't turn out very good. I got all this shit figured out for next time though. How many white folks you know that make tamales and green chile?? Where my southwest folks at?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Last night I made Latin Marinated Pork Filets. Night before that it was Penne With Creamy Basil Sauce.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Been on the seafood tip the last two nights

Have you ever cooked perch? That is the most amazing budget fish. They're wild-caught, and usually around $8.00 a pound at whole foods. It's basically a mini snapper.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I made a real nice chicken satay with thai style vegetables the other night. Yum.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Been on the seafood tip the last two nights

That is the most amazing budget fish and around $8.00 a pound at whole foods.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    been in a shellfish mood since it's winter and it's in season.

sake clams

2lbs clams (disgard any clams that are cracked or remain open if tapped on)
    1 garlic glove minced
    equal amount of ginger julienned
    2-3 red thai chilis (depends on your scoville resistence)
    1/2 cup sake
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon (depending on size and your preference for tartness)
    cup of cilantro, chopped
    veg oil
    sesame oil
    white pepper

- preheat wok on high, add veg (corn, etc) oil, cook garlic/ginger/chili briefly to open up the flavour base.

- toss in clams, toss around for 30 seconds to incorporate flavours.

- add sake, reduce a little, then add lemon juice and chicken stock. Add white pepper + some cilantro, stir to mix evenly.

- cover wok, cook for about 5 mins or until done. Resist opening lid to check contantly, you'll lose the steaming action. Shake wok to ensure even cooking distribution.

- just before removing from heat, add a touch of sesame oil and mix evenly.

- serve with bread to soak up that lucisous broth, sprinkle remainder of chopped cilantro on top for garnish.

***disgard any clams that remain closed***

I just kind of eyeball everything but here is a rough breakdown. This will make about 6 good sized cakes (two per person seems to be the norm) I tripled this.

1 pound crab meat (I used backfin lump because jumbo lump was like $40 a pound)
    1 egg
    about a scoop (heaping tablespoon?) of mayo
    teaspoon of worchestershire
    teaspoon of dijon mustard
    fresh italian flat leaf parsley
    teaspoon of lemon zest
    juice of half a lemon
    some skakes of old bay seasoning
    small handfull (1/4?) of panko japanese bread crumbs (can get at most super markets in the asian food section)
    Kosher salt (a big pinch) and several cranks of black pepper

Mix everything except the crab and panko in a bowl until combined well. fold in the panko and then GENTLY fold in the crab. form 6 patties and pan fry in vegetable or peanut oil until golden brown. You can also broil them, but I have never done it.

For the chipotle aoli:

A couple of canned chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce)
    mayo (1/2 cup or more?)
    a lime

zest the entire lime and juice one half of it. Combine well with the mayo. Mince the peppers (1 or two depending on how hot you want it) and mix them in too. You can also add some adobo sauce from the can to the mixture. You can adjust things to your liking. I like it to be more smokey and chipotle-y than limey. A small pinch of kosher salt should do it. fresh cilantro would be good too and you may want to substitute that for the parsley in the cakes...drizzle them on the cakes.

let me know how it turns out if any of you try it...

thanks so much. i definitely have to try this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

let me say that your psych mixes have provided excellent soundtrack to our latenight summer grilling sessions. still waiting on a tracklist from the more recent one!

thanks!
    i'm not sure if i ever got around to typing one up. its been so long i lost track. let me snoop around and see if i can figure it out.