Shaw Brothers DVDs - Dubbed versions?

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Hi, I've seen a bunch of Shaw brothers movies for cheap on DVD. But to my dismay, there all in mandarin with subtitles in Swedish. Anyone know if the versions that are dubbed in English have been released on DVD?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Paging Paul Nice...

I was about to get into this, but my knowledge is limited...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    sayin'!

this Shaw Bros shit is addictive son!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I prefer getting the ones from Hong Kong with English subtitles, but a number of Shaw Brothers films were released as part of the Wu-Tang series, and those are in English.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

Many of the dubbed versions that you'll see around are bootlegs. I think they borrow the new re-mastered prints from the HK DVD's and get new actors to do the voice overs. The only company that is releaseing authentic back-in-the-day dubbed shaws is Image. They have just put out "Legendary Weapons Of China". Its available on Amazon & from other DVD retailers.

peace

h

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Unlike almost all other kung fu flicks. Shaw Brothers almost always need to be the english dubbed versions for me. I almost refuse to watch any of them with the subs.

But finding them with the dubs online shouldn't really be that hard. Unless ur looking for wicked quality prints. Which is tough. Since most are taken from some shitty sources.

Edit: OK, now thinking about it. There are quite a few fu flicks I'd rather watch dubbed versions of.
    IE: The Mystery Of Chessboxing

But whatever...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Unlike almost all other kung fu flicks. Shaw Brothers almost always need to be the english dubbed versions for me. I almost refuse to watch any of them with the subs.

If they're on TV, most likely it's the English dubs, and I don't mind. But I try to find those with sub-tities, and hopefully the original voice-overs and not someone with a California accent.

Do you plan to punish me with your own sword? HA HA HA HA![/b]
    Totally, I want to do it the way my ancestors did, dude. It's so pure, and rad, I'm going to get you yet after I fly over your skull.
    My skull? HA. You cannot defeat me, but I will DEFEAT YOUR LEGACY!!![/b]

(cue the "about to fight music")

Yrrr pullin' ma hide, dude. I'll tell ya, my legacy is a Sony Legacy, you got that? I said gassy, huh huh huh huh huh.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

If they're on TV, most likely it's the English dubs, and I don't mind. But I try to find those with sub-tities, and hopefully the original voice-overs and not someone with a California accent.

Do you plan to punish me with your own sword? HA HA HA HA![/b]
    Totally, I want to do it the way my ancestors did, dude. It's so pure, and rad, I'm going to get you yet after I fly over your skull.
    My skull? HA. You cannot defeat me, but I will DEFEAT YOUR LEGACY!!![/b]

(cue the "about to fight music")

Yrrr pullin' ma hide, dude. I'll tell ya, my legacy is a Sony Legacy, you got that? I said gassy, huh huh huh huh huh.

Am I the only one who enjoys watching kung fu flicks with the dubbing and subtitling on at the same time? I have a perverse interest in seeing the different interpretations, storylines etc used - especially when the two translations come from different time periods.

• The only company that is releaseing authentic back-in-the-day dubbed shaws is Image.

You sure? Hkflix.com carries PanMedia which have english dubs. Are those different from the dubs Image has?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Image is only legit source for Shaw Bros films in the US as of yet.
    Panmedia is a bootleg company.