Miles Davis masters + Bill Laswell= Panthalassa

Comments

• CAPTION TIME!

"Check for my upcoming bio, How to Stain a Wood Electric Bass."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    if your interested, I got both of these ripped the the computer so I can upload them this eve. I also got the Bob Marley remixes he did, Dreams of Freedom

Oh, Jesus. Please say you're joking.

The catalog of Stevie Wonder cries out for a Laswellien remix.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    if your interested, I got both of these ripped the the computer so I can upload them this eve. I also got the Bob Marley remixes he did, Dreams of Freedom[/b]

The catalog of Stevie Wonder James Brown cries out for a Laswellien remix.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Wow. Bills bringing out the hatteurs...

Axiom, Material... not little dude funk at all,

and like i said: i like the dubbier side of things so his dub stuff is all good in my book.

i cant speak on his remix/reedit/rehash fiddlings..

arsewipe in person? whats the deal?

• This thread is the best thing on SS right now. Legendary.

I once had the bad experience of a well-meaning music store clerk foisting a bunch of Laswell crap into my arms. While I was putting it all back in the bins, I overheard him pontificate on the role of Laswell in modern music to his coworker: "He's prolific."

I think we should replace the word 'prolific' with 'Laswellian.'

if your interested, I got both of these ripped the the computer so I can upload them this eve. I also got the Bob Marley remixes he did, Dreams of Freedom[/b]

The catalog of Stevie Wonder James Brown cries out for a Laswellien remix.

Just to recap--a few giants of afrodiasporic musical expression whose catalogs dude has managed to despoil:

Miles Davis
    George Clinton (I think)
    Fela
    Bob Marley

That is some funny shit.

• The catalog of Stevie Wonder cries out for an ambient translation.

"He's prolific."

The only explanation for this is that he probably always offers to drive and always has good weed.

nya nya na na nya nyaaaa

on a far more serious note...

albasurfootballbikini.

its still there, it wasnt a dream.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    arsewipe in person? whats the deal?

I have no idea, really. I wrote that because he's been called out as a "douche" or whatever several times here, so I was guessing somebody knows about some specific character flaws beyond his prolific/eclectic/laswellian appearance as a musician. Or maybe not. I've got no gripes with the guy. I do remember that Bob Marley thing being a bit corny, though.

The catalog of Stevie Wonder cries out for an ambient translation[/b].

Stevie Wonder Recontextualized and Ambiently Translated for the Twenty-First Century by Bill Laswell 12.99 [add to cart] Wow! We've always loved Stevie Wonder's music, but here it's given a fresh new translation by none other than Bill Laswell! Just when you thought Stevie's classics couldn't get any better, Bill Laswell reworks them for the twenty-first century! Most of the cuts are mid to down tempo, with playing that's a bit more smooth from Laswell's funky axe, and when you look at the crew Laswell assembled, it's quite the all star cast: Herbie Hancock, Bernie Worrell, Wally Badaru and Aiyb Deng alongside Manu Dibango's Soul Makossa Gang! One of the greatest collaborations ever between Bill Laswell and Stevie Wonder!

• "Will chauffeur and get you high for black music acetates. Any takers? Alright, I'll throw in a five-string."

• Just to recap--a few giants of afrodiasporic musical expression whose catalogs dude has managed to despoil:

Miles Davis
    George Clinton (I think)
    Fela
    Bob Marley

Herbie Hancock?
    Pharoah Sanders?

i can't stand this guy

• The catalog of Stevie Wonder cries out for an ambient translation[/b].

Stevie Wonder Recontextualized and Ambiently Translated for the Twenty-First Century by Bill Laswell 12.99 [add to cart] Wow! We've always loved Stevie Wonder's music, but here it's given a fresh new translation by none other than Bill Laswell! Just when you thought Stevie's classics couldn't get any better, Bill Laswell reworks them for the twenty-first century! Most of the cuts are mid to down tempo, with playing that's a bit more smooth from Laswell's funky axe, and when you look at the crew Laswell assembled, it's quite the all star cast: Herbie Hancock, Bernie Worrell, Wally Badaru and Aiyb Deng alongside Manu Dibango's Soul Makossa Gang! One of the greatest collaborations ever between Bill Laswell and Stevie Wonder!

STEVIE WONDER VALIDATED!

And who the fuck gives this guy permission to put his paws on Marley, Fela, & Miles? Strictly some ego-maniacal schitt.

• and is Danger Mouse the new Bill Laswell?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i never heard of this dude before and im kinda angry that he was brought to my attention through this thread. thanks guys

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

did you make that up or is it actually quoted from something? i can totally picture that.

All made up like Brenda Song.

and is Danger Mouse the new Bill Laswell?

As a Black dude remixing the Beatles, I'd call him the bizarro Bill Laswell.

I'm pretty sure all that stuff will come out. Usually Mosaic puts it out first and then Sony/Legacy goes.

With Miles' stuff it's done at the same time. Sony handles the CD/digital side, Mosaic handles the vinyl.

Someone should make a graphic out of that. Laswell before. Laswell with horn or Marley dreads.

Okay, not that funny (if funny at all).

Jesus. Is his remix stuff that bad?

well, judging by the laswellian response id say yes...

and i liked his dub stuff...well fuck me.

which is his worst? is it that Bob marley album, what is that all about then?

i just made pancakes.

lemon and sugar if youre asking. (wifey had powdered sugar) but i need that citrus smack to complete the pannenkoeken experiance. plain, although there is some bacon in the fridge, and some cheese...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    And who the fuck gives this guy permission to put his paws on Marley, Fela, & Miles? Strictly some ego-maniacal schitt.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    This thread is quickly becomong one of my favorites.

Jesus. Is his remix stuff that bad?

For me, not all of it is bad. If you like his production approach on other albums, you'll like his remix work, which is essentially Material with Miles Davis/Bob Marley/Carlos Santana samples. You'll have your purists and your adventurists, and you have to pick and choose. I liked the Miles Davis and Santana ones, but want to say away from the Marley. I'll take a listen if anyone has an MP3 of it.

• I dunno, I kinda like the Marley remixes. It's good cleaning-the-house-on-a-sunday-while-toking-the-bong-music.

And considering some of the crap that gets lauded as some next level shit on this board, I'm not taking the hate to heart. Bill Laswell is prolific - if not as a musician, then as a label owner. I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

That's why the Teo Macero reference was made. It was Macero who cut and paste the original tracks and essentially opened the possibility of how to create a song. He was remixing, and it's no different from what Bill Laswell did.

Okay. That point went over my head. But, are you crediting Macero with the idea of cut and paste in musc? The methodology was simulatneously being utilized by Holger Czukay on the Can albums, and it was going off to the hilt in avant garde electonic music starting in the 40's.

You'll have your purists and your adventurists, and you have to pick and choose.

THE LINES HAVE BEEN DRAW

May I propose adding "adventeurist" to the SoulStrut lexicon?

I think a lot of the hate here is similar to the kind of hate that Jurassic 5 gets on this board - more to do with the fanbase than the actual music.

Dude, their music is horrible--the fans in the hemp parkas whose matted blonde "dreadlocks" support small ecosystems are just the cherry on top.

It's good cleaning-the-house-on-a-sunday-while-toking-the-bong-music.

For some reason I'm never convinced by the "it's good if you're not really paying attention" argument. Combine that with being stoned as fuck b/w hangover. You might as well listen to the mop sloshing around the bucket and pretend like you're rocking some rare Moondog acetate.