Miles Davis masters + Bill Laswell= Panthalassa

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2016 in Music Talk
I just downloaded this from the itunes store. It seems pretty good based on the snippets. Has anyone heard this? The idea is that they gave Laswell the masters from a bunch of different sessions--I think from the mid 1970's--and he remixed them with a rather abstract notion of fidelity to the originals.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I just downloaded this from the itunes store. It seems pretty good based on the snippets. Has anyone heard this? The idea is that they gave Laswell the masters from a bunch of different sessions--I think from the mid 1970's--and he remixed them with a rather abstract notion of fidelity to the originals.

There was that one, and also Panthalassa: The Remixes, featuring an additional remix from Laswell, along with remixes by King Britt & Philip Charles, DJ Cam, Jamie Myerson, and Doc Scott.

If you're into that one, there's also this, which came out two years later:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    he remixed them with a rather abstract notion of fidelity to the originals.

so did teo macero.

see the unedited takes from either the complete bitches brew or in a silent way box sets and compare them to the released music.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    so did teo macero.

see the unedited takes from either the complete bitches brew or in a silent way box sets and compare them to the released music.

I wasn't criticizing, just stating the fact that Laswell wasn't being pussy-footed about remixing such a loaded work.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Bill Laswell is one of the worst things to happen to music.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Plaese to explain

Plaese to explain

i've never been much of a BL fan , but i think he did decent enough work with those Miles tapes. prolly cause all he did was re-edit. but it's been a while since i heard them.

anyone serious about electric Miles should get those box sets. Laswell might be OK, but i need to hear DJ Urban Headwrap remix SHHHH Peaceful like I need herpes on my face. don't even get me started on Madlib Invades Blue Note or whatever the fuck they call it.

I wasn't criticizing, just stating the fact that Laswell wasn't being pussy-footed about remixing such a loaded work.

That's why the Teo Macero reference was made. It was Macero who cut and paste the original tracks and essentially opened the possibility of how to create a song. He was remixing, and it's no different from what Bill Laswell did.

I think what Laswell did with the Miles Davis (and the Santana) material was tasteful. He brought their music into his world, so obviously you hear his sound along with the original artist. I too prefer the Miles Davis box sets, it always amazes me that with him, he always allowed the tapes to roll almost all the time, like a notebook. In jazz you often hear about artists bringing in charts, it got to a point where he didn't do that, it was about "Teo, I'll play like this, and then I'm not going to play for about 13 minutes. Chick, when you feel me approach the mic, I seriously want you to step the fuck off and stop or just do a little doot doot doot. I'll go back to the theme for about 45 seconds, and then you can do your thing until I make thorns with my fingers."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

really? bollocks.

i like some of his stuff, actually scrap that, i like all i have heard from the man, but im a sucka for dub, and i have a couple of his dub albums, cant remember the names but its bubbly and fat, smokey and dirty and i just love that shit.

i havnt heard the Miles Davis reworking, and i must admit, im apprehensive about it, but i had to stick up for Mr Laswell, therefore i must add:

Bill Laswell is one of the best things to happen to music.

followed with:

nya nya na na nya nyaaaa

• Just an aside here, but when is the complete On the Corner going to come out? Has Sony been murmuring about it?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Bill Laswell has done more for humanity than everyone on this board combined!

But seriously, Bill Laswell makes music for people who can't stomach real jazz, real reggae, real funk or real rap.

"Teo, I'll play like this, and then I'm not going to play for about 13 minutes. Chick, when you feel me approach the mic, I seriously want you to step the fuck off and stop or just do a little doot doot doot. I'll go back to the theme for about 45 seconds, and then you can do your thing until I make thorns with my fingers."

did you make that up or is it actually quoted from something? i can totally picture that.

Just an aside here, but when is the complete On the Corner going to come out? Has Sony been murmuring about it?

It's been an on-again, off-again project, I remember hearing those murmurs a few years ago when the Jack Johnson box set came out. I'm looking at the Miles Davis website and there's no word on what will be up next.

It's supposed to be "next" but as far as when, no one knows.

• Bill Laswell is one of the best things to happen to music.

But seriously, Bill Laswell makes music for people who can't stomach real jazz, real reggae, real funk or real rap.

Both true!

Both true!

Satisfying the appetite of little dudes for fake jazz, fake reggae, fake funk and fake rap = a great service to humanity.

Just an aside here, but when is the complete On the Corner going to come out? Has Sony been murmuring about it?

I'm pretty sure all that stuff will come out. Usually Mosaic puts it out first and then Sony/Legacy goes.

I'm waiting for the complete and total studio Columbia electric Miles set to come out...from the minute he told Herbie "Oh, you're playing that today (pointing at the Fender Rhodes) at least up to We Want Miles.

Both true!

[reaynaldo]Validating Jazz, Rap, Reggae, Funk= a great service to humanity. [/reynaldo]

• He actually pointed to a Wurly first.

But, yeah, I'd buy that set in a heartbeat.

Both true!

[reaynaldo]Validating Jazz, Rap, Reggae, Funk= a great service to humanity. [/reynaldo]

This is no laughing matter.

Young Phonics = Enemy of Humanity

Both true!

Satisfying the appetite of little dudes for fake jazz, fake reggae, fake funk and fake rap = a great service to humanity.

I think you can make that argument based on stuff he produced--especially the stuff from the early 90s on. But as a bass player, he is very good and has appeared on some excellent records.

• anytime i get to hear miles play his trumpet i'm satisfied
    the
    Black Satin / What If / Agharta Prelude Dub on Panthalassa is

but the remixes were

Both true!

I think you can make that argument based on stuff he produced--especially the stuff from the early 90s on. But as a bass player, he is very good and has appeared on some excellent records.

bermp-bermp-chicka-bermp-BOOOIIIING!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

[soft]Televised hanging = end of the world! [/soft]

Both true!

OWWWWW! ON THE ONE!

Both true!

damn, you at least could have google image'd "beret goatee " or something. didn't you use that pimp costume in the Brown Sugar thread?

Both true!

OWWWWW! ON THE ONE!

[Rickey Vincent]Bill Laswell has been of great service to humanity in our collective journey to the one. He occupies a similar space to the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the pantheon of funkateers.[/Rickey Vincent]

• if your interested, I got both of these ripped the the computer so I can upload them this eve. I also got the Bob Marley remixes he did, Dreams of Freedom

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Both true!

i'll give him a pass on Painkiller...but that's about it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Plaese to explain

i've never been much of a BL fan , but i think he did decent enough work with those Miles tapes. prolly cause all he did was re-edit. but it's been a while since i heard them.

It's not just a re-edit. He did the mixdown completely different. It's cleaner and not as adventurous as on the old versions, for better or for worse. "Rated X" for example, doesn't sound as wild as it does on GUWI. The loud farfisa organ is way lower in the mix, the rhythm is more upfront and the DJ-style cut-in'n'out is absent. This M.O. is prevalent on all the tracks on "Panthalassa". More emphasis on the rhythm tracks and less on the experiments of the time like moving pannings, crazy levels and sounds and so on.

Some might call it sacrilege, but I think he did a good job on that one, and I recommend it as a supplement to the originals. Plus it's worth copping for the two previously unavailable tracks on it called "What If" and "Agartha Prelude Dub". Both are hardasfuck.

And as for BL himself, he might be an arsewipe in person and his dub thing doesn't move me at all, but I like what he did with Material as well as his "Baselines" solo LP. I'd like to check out that Santana thing too. I didn't know about that one.

Really? What about My Life in the Bush of Ghosts? His contributions were minor. OK, but what about Speechless? Archery? Future Shock? Last Exit?

None or that stuff is super fantastic, but not that bad. I'm saying it's hard to say that part of his contribution did not harm music like the other stuff. I don't know, maybe it overshadows the good stuff?

Can we stop talking about music? Damn.

if your interested, I got both of these ripped the the computer so I can upload them this eve. I also got the Bob Marley remixes he did, Dreams of Freedom

Oh, Jesus. Please say you're joking.