HD STRUT

ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Who's rockin' the high def. in '07?1080p

Comments

• Since moving into a new place I don't have any money for a TV so my Apple Cinema display is functioning as my DVD screen. Kinda makes you realize how shitty DVD picture quality can be.

• I just bought this bad boy for my girlfriend. Talk about a ballin' gift. Of course I will get to enjoy it as well.

• nice gift!!
    Brazil was on the Universal HD channel on directv last week. The clarity was bonkers.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I've been thinking of picking up the Sharp Aquos 46". It truly is a beautiful thing!!!

But then I'm gonna have to change my cable box to an HD one for sure and also maybe grab an upconverting DVD playing with HDMI on it. I'm still holding off of HD DVD or Blueray.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I have worked in the HD Communications industry for the last few years. We had over 100 various HDTVs in house. I recommend the Sharp Aquos and Pioneer HDTVs. The Pioneer Elite series are by far the best picture you'll get but you'll pay top dollar for them.

-billb

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    So what's the minimum cost on one of these days? Something larger than a 42". I'm in the market for something later this year but I really don't want to spend more than $1500. Is that possible?

• I'm gonna wait until HD is standard for DVD's and Cable/Satellite before copping one of these. I'd be good with even a 32". I'd like to get an HD projector, but those are something like $3000+.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    If you watch sports on TV, you need an HD set.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    If you watch FOOTBALL on TV, you need an HD set.

I've heard that watching non-HD programming on an HDTV makes it look like shit because you can see all the imperfections in the image whereas a normal TV's low resolution usually hides it.

• ScottScott 420 Posts

Unfortunately, I saw something hanging out of Bill Parcell's ear in a broadcast last week. I almost reconsidered.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I've heard that watching non-HD programming on an HDTV makes it look like shit because you can see all the imperfections in the image whereas a normal TV's low resolution usually hides it.

It only looks like shit because you start to notice the difference between standard tv and high definition. Otherwise you're still playing the same standard signal when watching on an HDTV.

-billb

So what's the minimum cost on one of these days? Something larger than a 42". I'm in the market for something later this year but I really don't want to spend more than $1500. Is that possible?

I don't know if there is a decent HDTV larger than 42" around $1500. I've gotten good prices from B&H PhotoVideo and Crutchfield in the past though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    http://www.crutchfield.com

-billb

• I've heard that watching non-HD programming on an HDTV makes it look like shit because you can see all the imperfections in the image whereas a normal TV's low resolution usually hides it.

It only looks like shit because you start to notice the difference between standard tv and high definition. Otherwise you're still playing the same standard signal when watching on an HDTV.

-billb

huh, cuz I watch a lot of football at this sports bar down the street and when they play a game on an HDTV that isn't broadcast in HD, it looks a lot worse than a regular TV... And I'm not used to watching HD cuz I only watch it at the bar... Maybe they got somethign goin' on with their settings...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    On DirecTV they usually broadcast the HD channels in SD too. Switch between the two and it's just amazing... HD kills it. Plus it's widescreen AND it's 5.1.

SD =

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    ive bought one of these
    (40" 720p) and i love it so far.. but damn this shitt was like 3000 swiss francs (approx. 2400USD)...how much do you pay in the us for the same model ? i think its a kdl40 sumthin

-billb

huh, cuz I watch a lot of football at this sports bar down the street and when they play a game on an HDTV that isn't broadcast in HD, it looks a lot worse than a regular TV... And I'm not used to watching HD cuz I only watch it at the bar... Maybe they got somethign goin' on with their settings...

An HDTV isn't going to make the Standard-TV signal look worse. Unless there are some settings on the TV that aren't right.

-billb

• All local stations will be required by the FCC to go HD by 2008. By then, I'm sure the price of HD-tv's will drop substantially in price.
    I remember looking at HDTV's about 3 years ago and the Pioneer Elite Plasma which is now $4000, cost $20,000 - and now the $4,000 model has better picture than the old $20,000 model.
    So, there's technology for you.

• just stepped my game up a few months ago. 42" Hitachi HD Plasma joint..its my shit! and i dont even watch too much tv anymore..but DAMN it just looks so fucking dope in the living room.

just stepped my game up a few months ago. 42" Hitachi HD Plasma joint..its my shit! and i dont even watch too much tv anymore..but DAMN it just looks so fucking dope in the living room.

I'm gonna go LCD for two reasons--

1. No glare

2. No screen burn

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

just stepped my game up a few months ago. 42" Hitachi HD Plasma joint..its my shit! and i dont even watch too much tv anymore..but DAMN it just looks so fucking dope in the living room.

1. No glare

2. No screen burn

LCD is essentially watching TV on an oversized computer screen. Ehhh...

I'm completely statisfied with my flat screen HD CRT.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

1. No glare

2. No screen burn

is screen burn still an issue with plasmas nowadays? i read that newer models/production runs don't have as much of a problem with it. any truth to this?

also, i'm scheming on a 42" Panasonic plasma. anyone have one?

• Both types, LCD & Plasma have their advantages/disadvantages. As far as the screen burn with plasmas - I've heard that that isn't so much a problem anymore too. There's no way to know for sure except to wait 5+ years and see what the deal is.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    i'm planning on using mine for gaming more than anything else. are they pretty much equal when it comes to that?

(*cough*... billbradley...*cough*..ahem)

i'm planning on using mine for gaming more than anything else. are they pretty much equal when it comes to that?

(*cough*... billbradley...*cough*..ahem)

Plasma's run hot, are heavier, and generally cost more. LCD's are nice if space is a concern. But if you want the best image quality for gaming DLP is the way to go.

As for burn in, Plasmas and LCDs have gotten better but still can have that problem.