Cadet Concept

Comments

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Does anyone have the Violinaires' lp? Is it any good? Sounds like it could be interesting, or awful.

which one?

The one on Checker?

'The Bad Apple' containing the Charles Stepney produced heater 'Let them talk'

• and what is Joel Vance all about?

Lukewarm singer-songwriter fare, typical of the era.
    I've had a copy forever and never listen to it.

• Does anyone have the Violinaires' lp? Is it any good? Sounds like it could be interesting, or awful.

which one?

The one on Checker?

I think The Bad Apple is actually a Meditation Singers LP.

• Does anyone have the Violinaires' lp? Is it any good? Sounds like it could be interesting, or awful.

which one?

The one on Checker?

The Violinaires were around for forever-and-one years and actually had several Chess/Checker LP's (and one of those was a compilation - Please Answer This Prayer).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Does anyone have the Violinaires' lp? Is it any good? Sounds like it could be interesting, or awful.

which one?

The one on Checker?

There are one or 2 (I can't remember) Violionairs on Chess that have a contemporary production (Charles Stepney?). Sorry it's been years since I have owned them and I can't remember. One has a great cover of the Stones Salt Or The Earth. All Violionairs are good gospel quartet and worth picking up, but these 2 Chess records from the 70s would fit the narrow tastes of most Strutters.

• There are one or 2 (I can't remember) Violionairs on Chess that have a contemporary production (Charles Stepney?).

I think contemporary production was the point with the Violinaires, it wasn't just one or two token LP's.

I have one of their Jewel albums plus scattered singles, and just about all of them were consciously trying to meet soul music halfway. To drive the point home, I think one of their Checker albums was called Soul Is In...But Gospel Is Out Of Sight.

There are one or 2 (I can't remember) Violionairs on Chess that have a contemporary production (Charles Stepney?).

I think contemporary production was the point with the Violinaires, it wasn't just one or two token LP's.

I have one of their Jewel albums plus scattered singles, and just about all of them were consciously trying to meet soul music halfway. To drive the point home, I think one of their Checker albums was called Soul Is In...But Gospel Is Out Of Sight.

True.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    and what is Joel Vance all about?

thanks for the info.

I ndidn't realize until now just how close I am to a complete discography, not that I'm actually trying to do that.

Still curious about the 2nd Howling Wolf and Aesops Fables, anyone got some info about those?

• Still curious about the 2nd Howling Wolf and Aesops Fables, anyone got some info about those?

I'm intrigued by the second Aesops Fables LP too. There was a one on ebay a few months ago but it wasn't on Cadet Concept, although the seller claimed it was their second LP. Some small indie label only pressed in Canada, if my memory serves me. I didn't bid on it and it didn't sell either at $10

Just checked Acid Archives. Second LP is called Pickin' Up The Pieces (Mandala) and was only released in Australia and Canada.

• Cadet Concept LPs[/b]

324 Howlin??? Wolf S/T
    331 Aesop???s Fables S/T

Is The S/T Howlin' Wolf similar to his other Cadet Concept release?. Is the Aesops Fables S/T better than their first album?

I seriously don't believe these albums exist, especially Wolf, who has been pretty well documented. I've never seen any reference to a second Wolf album on Cadet Concept at all - his next album after his one psychedelic record would have been The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions, which found him back on Chess doing the blues (albeit with rock stars backing him up).

• what color is the OG electric mud and whats the story on reprints or whateva. the one i got is white, not black.

I was always under the assumption that Cadet Concept released both versions simultaneously as a gimmick (ala the Rolling Stones' Some Girls, the Police's Synchronicity, and any other album cover that had different color schemes on different copies).

When All Platinum bought out Chess in 1976 and rereleased Electric Mud, the gatefold was gone and the photo on the back was in black-and-white.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There is definitely a second "acid blues" Howlin' Wolf
    album, although I don't think it's on Cadet Concept and
    it's not S/T - the BSN discography lists the S/T as "unreleased"

The second Aesop's Fables on Mandala is on eBay right now, some
    guy is trying to get $75 for it - he's tripping but I wish I had
    seen that $10 copy!

This is the other Wolf album I'm thinking
    of, released on Chess in 1971:

MESSAGE TO THE YOUNG (Chess 50002) released March 16, 1971
    If I Were A Bird / I Smell A Rat / Miss James / Message to the Young / She's Lookin' Good / Just As Long / Romance Without Finance / Turn Me On

Personally, I think the Wolf LP on Cadet Concept is WAY better
    than Muddy's "Electric Mud" - I just think it works better as a collabo...

I also think I may enjoy the more restrained "After the Rain" better
    than "Electric Mud" as well...having said all that, I do think
    "Electric Mud" is a great album...and a SICK gatefold!!

Cadet Concept 45s[/b]

7004 The Wildweeds ???I???m Dreaming/ Happiness Is Just An Illusion???

This is a GREAT single - "I'm Dreaming" is a burner, a charged-up
    slice of Faces-style psych rock...the flip is a little harder to
    get used to, a kind of sunshine pop/soul crossover sound that at
    first annoyed me but grew on me over time...a must to cop just for
    the A-side no matter what, though!

• There is definitely a second "acid blues" Howlin' Wolf
    album, although I don't think it's on Cadet Concept and
    it's not S/T - the BSN discography lists the S/T as "unreleased"

Ever hear A Message To The Young, this really awkward attempt at soul music that Wolf did? It's on Chess, and as soon as the retro-mania for his psych album dies down, this LP is gonna be the next crate-digger discovery.

The second Aesop's Fables on Mandala is on eBay right now, some
    guy is trying to get $75 for it - he's tripping but I wish I had
    seen that $10 copy!

I'd like to hear more of these guys. I have an earlier single they did for Atco ("The Truth") that's really good - I don't know where they were from, but they sound like some white soul band from Long Island (only not as garagey).

• This is the other Wolf album I'm thinking

If I Were A Bird / I Smell A Rat / Miss James / Message to the Young / She's Lookin' Good / Just As Long / Romance Without Finance / Turn Me On

Yeah, not really fake psych, more like psuedo-soul - this was an attempt to market Wolf to the young black audience. It's not outlandish like that other record, but Wolf doesn't sound 100% comfortable singing these songs that would be better suited for a Little Milton. MAYBE.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I think John Lee Hooker's Free Beer & Chicken (his big funk/rock experiment, on ABC) is superior to both Electric Mud and Electric Wolf...for one thing, it doesn't sound like anybody twisted Hook's arm to do it (even though you hear him jokingly complaining on record that his producer is attempting to make him a pop star!).

thanks for the info.

I ndidn't realize until now just how close I am to a complete discography, not that I'm actually trying to do that.

Still curious about the 2nd Howling Wolf and Aesops Fables, anyone got some info about those?

According to BSN the self titled Howlin Wolf was not released.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

thanks for the info.

According to BSN the self titled Howlin Wolf was not released.

thanks for clearing that up.

so a new question, is there a unreleased cadet concept Howlin' Wolf LP sitting in a vault somewhere?

sounds like people here think the '71 release Message to the Young may be that same album, but does anyone know for sure?

This is the other Wolf album I'm thinking

Yeah, not really fake psych, more like psuedo-soul - this was an attempt to market Wolf to the young black audience. It's not outlandish like that other record, but Wolf doesn't sound 100% comfortable singing these songs that would be better suited for a Little Milton. MAYBE.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I think John Lee Hooker's Free Beer & Chicken (his big funk/rock experiment, on ABC) is superior to both Electric Mud and Electric Wolf...for one thing, it doesn't sound like anybody twisted Hook's arm to do it (even though you hear him complaining on record that his producer is attempting to make him a pop star!

Message to the Young is underappreciated as a funksoulbluesexperiment.
    http://www.jumpjump.com/real/Message.mp3

Who plays on Free Beer & Chicken? I've never been able to figure this out.

• Who plays on Free Beer & Chicken?

According to the John Lee Hooker box set, it says that the Tower of Power Horns, Hollywood Fats (guitar), Jim Kahr (guitar), Clifford Coulter (keyboards), and Ken Swank (drums) appear on the "Bluebird" track, so maybe this lineup is on the entire album?

Hold it right there: Boogie Man (Hooker's autobiography) says that Luther Tucker (guitar) and Robert Hooker (keyboards) appear on this same track...we do know that Mark Naftalin (piano), Don "Sugarcane" Harris (violin) and Joe Cocker (vocals) appear elsewhere.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Cadet Concept 45s[/b]

7000 Rotary Connection ???Like A Rollin??? Stone/ Turn Me On???
    7001 Status Quo ???Pictures Of Matchstick Men/ Gentleman Joe???s Sidewalk Caf?????
    7002 Rotary Connection ???Soul Man/ Ruby Tuesday???
    7003 Jeanne Piersol ???Gladys/ With Your Love???
    7004 The Wildweeds ???I???m Dreaming/ Happiness Is Just An Illusion???
    7005 Aesop???s Fables ???I???m Gonna Make You Love Me/ They Go Out And Get It???
    7006 Status Quo ???Ice In The Sun/ When My Mind Is Not Live???
    7007 Rotary Connection ???Paper Castle/ Teach Me How To Fly???
    7008 Rotary Connection ???Aladdin/ Magical World???
    7009 Rotary Connection ???Peace At Last/ Christmas Night???
    7010 Status Quo ???Technicolor Dreams/ Spices And Specks???
    7011 Aesop???s Fables ???Temptation ???Bout To Get Me/ What Is Love???
    7012 Jeanne Piersol ???Your Sweet Inner Self/ The Most???
    7013 Howlin??? Wolf ???Evil/ Tail Dragger???
    7014 Rotary Connection ???The Weight/ Respect???
    7015 Status Quo ???Black Veils Of Melancholy/ To Be Free???
    7016 Aesop???s Fables ???And When It???s Over/ What Is Love???
    7017 Status Quo ???The Price Of Love/ Little Miss Nothing???
    7018 Rotary Connection ???Memory Band/ Want You To Know???
    7019 Friend And Lover ???Hard Lovin???/ Colorado Exile???
    7020 David Perrett ???Girls, I???ll Always Be In Love/ Soul President???
    7021 Rotary Connection ???Love Me Now/ May Our Amens Be True???
    7022 Joel Vance ???Slippin??? And Slidin???/ Stars Fell On Alabama???
    7023 John Klemmer ???Here Comes The Child/ Soliloquy For Tenor And Voice???
    7024 Salloom and Sinclair ???Sleep/ Animal???
    7025 Craig Holland ???I Wonder/ Good Morning Tomorrow???
    7026 Liv Maessan ???Knock, Knock Who???s There/ Just A Little Lovin???
    7027 (not used)
    7028 (not used)
    7029 Harvey Scales ???(Leave It For) The Trashman/ Electric Robot???
    7030 Harvey Scales ???(Leave It For) The Trashman/ I???ll Run To Your Side???

dante, theres a typo. the flip on 7012 is "The Nest"

also, thanks a lot, i figured youd come through with the discogs

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Dan,

Here's a review of the John Lee Hooker LP. I think it's okay, but like the fuzzed out sound of the Howling Wolf and Waters' LPs on Cadet Concept better.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1400

As for the Violanires here's the one I have:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1757

Dan,

Here's a review of the John Lee Hooker LP. I think it's okay, but like the fuzzed out sound of the Howling Wolf and Waters' LPs on Cadet Concept better.

As for the Violanires here's the one I have:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1757

I've heard it, I just always wondered who was on it. Sounds like who ever was in San Fran at the moment. Does this record coincide with Lights Out San Francisco?

• Dan,

I've heard it, I just always wondered who was on it. Sounds like who ever was in San Fran at the moment. Does this record coincide with Lights Out San Francisco?

Lights Out: San Francisco was '72, Free Beer & Chicken was '74.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LP-MUDDY-WATERS-ELEC...1QQcmdZViewItem

damn, mine doesnt have a booklet of muddy waters getting his hair processed

Then you need to get it.

I think if someone is going to be a CC completest they need both the Black and White covers.
    The booklet is the best part of the package.

• ok, so is In Due Time LP any good?

i NEVER see the cadet howling wolf record. havent seen a copy in at least 5 years. excuse me while i cement my little dude plaque on my sidewalk.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ok, so is In Due Time LP any good?

i NEVER see the cadet howling wolf record. havent seen a copy in at least 5 years. excuse me while i cement my little dude plaque on my sidewalk.

$15-20 in Chicago, tops. Book it.

• ok, so is In Due Time LP any good?

$15-20 in Chicago, tops. Book it.

one of you chicago heads buy it for me and i'll hit you off.plaese

so whats up with aesop due time? i know where to buy that tomorrow if i get the soulstrut green light.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

which one?

The one on Checker?

Oops, yes absolutely - speed posting before running out the door makes for incorrect information.

Meditation Singers - yes.

which one?

The one on Checker?

Oops, yes absolutely - speed posting before running out the door makes for incorrect information.

Meditation Singers - yes.

I think the Meditation Singers had a member who went on to pop fame. Laura Lee?