~Favorite Long (But Dope ) 15+ Minute Songs~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited April 2016 in Music Talk
I have an affinity for long-ass songs. Here are some of my favorite longer tracks.-

1. Lloyd McNeil "Fountain in the Circle" @ 21:00 minutes
  2. Webster Lewis "Do you Believe" @ 20:46 Mintutes
  3. Pharoah Sanders "Harvest Time" @ 20:08 Minutes
  4. Roy Meriwether "Nubian Lady" @ 19:39 Minuts
  5. Don Cherry "Terry's Tune/Hope/Creator Has Master Plan Megamix" @ 20:28
  6. Luther Thomas "Funky Donkey" @ 20:01 Minutes
  7. Philip Coharan "On the Beach" @ 17:30 Minutes
  8. Joe McPhee "Nation Time" @ 18:30 Minutes
Are there any Funk bangers that hold it together and stay "with-it" for over 15+ minutes?

I know that there are plenty of Free Jazz songs that go on forever, but I'm looking for songs that are cohesive for this amount of time. I know Funky Donkey is pushing it.Let's talk about music! NB

Comments

• Tortoise "DJed"
    Isaac Hayes "Do Your Thing"
    Isaac hayes "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    A load of Fela Kuti songs
    Duderonomythe_dLKineticpyramidhood

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Tortoise "DJed"

Doesn't "Walk on By" go past 15?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    A load of Fela Kuti songs

A lof of Can stuff, NEU. Some King Crimson stuff can get pretty long, but it really depends on the album in terms of the kind of music that is taking place within that time. I think the McDonald and Giles album has at least one longish track, but I can't remember how long it is. There is also a Fela Kutiesque band named Osibisa that had the same artist--for their record covers--as Yes, and some of their stuff is longish, but I don't remember how quality it is. Maybe some of the Tabla Beat science stuff? Check Bill Laswell's discography. Drums and Tuba? That's a pretty sick band.

• Tortoise "DJed"

No, it's around a concise 8-9 minutes.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Webster Lewis "Do You Believe" is
    , for sure.

I can't think of too many 15+ min. jawns but one long jam that
    I know is banging is The Masquerade is Over (9 minutes long).

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Are there any Funk bangers that hold it together and stay "with-it" for over 15+ minutes?

Super Funky Discoteque (AKA El Chicles) "Lord Funk". Stays with it the entire 21:55 minutes IMO.

Loads of jazz in this category. Pick of the moment:

Dizzy Gillespie "Kush" (the JATP In Europe version with JJ, Getz, Lalo et al.)
    18:25 minutes of modal goodness. I love versions of this tune. The one on the "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" LP is good too and still long enough, 15:50.

• I can't think of any songs that long, but I enjoy "Sinnerman" by Nina Simone which I think is about 12 minutes and "To The Establishment" by Lou Bond which is about 12 minutes too. "El Cantante" by Hector Lavoe also is one continuos 11 minute peak.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Had a think and bar Fela:

"The Greek Variations" Neil Ardley, Ian Carr and Don Rendell off the LP "Greek Variations" clocks in at 23:50

"God Spirit" Cecil McBee off the LP "Music From The Source" is 17:20

"Eleventh Light City (Part 1-4)" Marion Brown off "Sweet Earth Flying" is 18:24

and then theres a lotta Miles Davis and a few of the tracks off Alkebu Lan by Mtume and The Umoje Ensemble.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    OK, to stear clear of the obvious jazz choices, here's a long'un that's been peeling my face lately:

Robert Fripp & Brian Eno "An Index Of Metals" from

Doing a whole lot with very little for 27:55 minutes.

• Tortoise "DJed"

Also, "Look of Love" gets close but I think it's around 12-13. Another classic for sure though.

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    adventures of super rhyme by jimmy spicer (15:30)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

CAN - Bel Air

Definitly one of my favorite songs of all time. Almost hitting the 20 minute mark. This song floats in grabs your attention then floats away then comes back with the funky german boombap that only Can delivers then it floats away again.. Turns into this progressive jam with a jazzy outro.. floating away again..and then you can faintly hear them playing further away until fadeout.

For me it never gets boring, and it floats right around the subconcious.

- spidey
    the_dL

• the crusaders - street life(LP version)

Might be lame to others but i have always loved this track.
    the_dL

• Experience Unlimited "Funk Consciousness"(I think thats the track, anyway, there is a long track on their LP from '77 with some kiler guitar and percussion breakdowns)

James Brown "There was a time" (from "Live at the Apollo volume 2") takes up a whole side

Dele Aboiun "elye oro"(???? cant remember the title, record is at home)

• "Praying With Eric" from Mingus' "Town Hall Concert"
    "Turbulence" from Eddie Harris' "Excursions"

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Tortoise "DJed"

Also, "Look of Love" gets close but I think it's around 12-13. Another classic for sure though.

Title track is one of my Isaac favs, and I think clocks in at 17 minutes or so.

• CAN - Bel Air

Definitly one of my favorite songs of all time. Almost hitting the 20 minute mark. This song floats in grabs your attention then floats away then comes back with the funky german boombap that only Can delivers then it floats away again.. Turns into this progressive jam with a jazzy outro.. floating away again..and then you can faintly hear them playing further away until fadeout.

For me it never gets boring, and it floats right around the subconcious.

- spidey

What up D?

Good call, also the two long jammies on Tago Mago and the one I'm listening to right now that just kills it, "Mother Sky" although technically it's 14:31.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    the Corporation - India ...shit's like over 20 minutes

• TruthTruth 50 Posts
    WOW!!!
    Gary Saracho "Senor Baker
    Santana "Angel of sunlight"
    Mcdonald and Giles "Birdman"

• Pharoah Sanders "The Creator Has a Master Plan"
    Fela Kuti "Water No Enemy"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Don't have my records in front of me but Donald Byrd "Ethiopian Knights" and Les McCann "invitation to openness" come to mind.

• Oh shit, Magic Hour "Passing Words". It's off their mid-nineties LP entitled "Will They Turn You On or Will They Turn On You". Twenty fantastic minutes of Wayne/Kate guitar facemeltery. Check it out!

• I kind of dig that Shawn Philips tune "I don't want to leave you, I just came to say goodbye".....16.08 min

• Bj??rn Jason Lindh - Fr??n Storstad til Grodspad

• we talking one-trackers, or just continuous music [contained within multiple tracks?]

as far as one-trackers:
    incredible string band - a very cellular song. i never tire of it.
    multiple can tracks.
    on the ambient tip, the first track off music for airplanes.
    grant green's idle moments i have is 4 seconds short of 15 minutes.
    space is the place, of course.
    bunch of tangerine dream.
    sister ray.
    those rainbow in curved air tracks.

close-calls [10+]:
    cymande - dove
    coltrane's favorite things
    donny live - the ghetto
    marquee moon
    ahmad jamal - extensions

if we're just talking continuous music, soft machine comes to mind.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    OK, to stear clear of the obvious jazz choices, here's a long'un that's been peeling my face lately:

Robert Fripp & Brian Eno "An Index Of Metals" from

Doing a whole lot with very little for 27:55 minutes.

You need to check the Phil Manzanera Impossible Guitars 12 inch played at 33rpm. I can't remember which side, but one of them is DISGUSTING.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    those rainbow in curved air tracks.

Terry Riley also did that record with John Cale that is fairly funky, and long if I remember correctly. I think its called house of Anthrax, or something similar.

• Pink Floyd - Echoes

• "Onsaya Joy" by Richard Groove Holmes. INSANE hammond and synth funk for 15min.