VANGAURD SQUAD MOTHERFUCKER

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Groove Merchant's got 'em? Music to ma ears! They in yet J*sh?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    jesus the artwork is x 500!

can't wait to hear it. you guys rule

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Your squad is the bomb!

If understand right i can't order it in Europe yet?

Please to PM Bam about overseas sales etc...

For those interested, there is a semi-covert link on one of the periods on the t-shirt page at the store. Pics are there.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

"ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ALL WRONGS RETURNED."[/b]

??1969. I'd been wanting to use that since I read George Jackson's book:

I am reasonably certain that I can draw from every black male in this country some comments to substantiate that his mother, the black female, attempted to aid his survival by discouraging his violence or by turning it inward. The blacks of slave society, U.S.A., have always been a matriarchal subsociety. The implication is clear, black mama is going to have to put a sword in that brother???s hand and stop that ???Be a good boy??? shit.

[img]http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/

• jesus the artwork is x 500!

NO JOKE.

Ts*********ga, you elevated your game for reals with the 7" design and the
    new website. You been eatin' Wheaties or something?

Letterpress-printing = grown and sexy! Classy move!

Me and my friends had been talking about doing some charity-type non-profit
    music release. Great to see it happening in the real world. Even classier move!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

let me cosine on that statement.

let me cosine on that statement.

Jennifer Farrell at Starshaped Press
    http://www.starshaped.com/

She was once part of Fireproof Press in Chicago. Fireproof, for you punk folks, was the Tortoise-affiliated print spot who singlehandedly changed the punk packaging game. Them Shellac albums were Fireproof.

Jen is the nicest women ever. And her email signature is, "Stand Back! I've got printing to do!" Which made me laugh every time I read it. She's great, friendly, responsive, reasonable, and does wonderful work. I'd recommend her to anyone.

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    Doods...
    nice work!
    get it to some shops in montreal please.

big six.
    skinny chix.
    www.bullyrecords.com

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Just ordered mine... sounds great from the samples.

Keep up the good work.

DJ Ferrari

International spots are in the works...anyone who may have a store they want to suggest to us, please to PM. We'll contact them and get it in there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Man, I can't stress enough to those of you who haven't heard this: YOU NEED THIS 45 IN YOUR LIFE![/b] I first heard these tracks what, three years ago? I'm still listening.

More important, though, is the site. The Vanguard Squad website is already a wealth of entertainment, information, and inspiration, but this is only the beginning. I think this website has the potential to become a hub, or even the hub for the majority of my internet browsing.

Congratulations to Eric and Tsega for getting this off the ground. I can't express to you what an inspiration it is to see a project this ambitious go from vague conceptualization to final product. I'm looking forward to being continuously awed.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    So this is really about armed resistance? Ya'll have guns and stuff? I've been thinking about buying an AK while they are still legal.

So this is really about armed resistance? Ya'll have guns and stuff? I've been thinking about buying an AK while they are still legal.

"Dissidence Begins Within"

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    praises due.

respect.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

much respect to the squad! glad we could help, peace bruthas

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    where can a boy cop one of them!

What you describe sounds more like gun ownership.

This isn't really about buying AKs. It's a reflection on people who decide to take arm against oppression. The idea is nothing new. The Declaration of Independence, The Indian Revolt at Pine Ridge, the Anarchist Riot of 1908, Watts, the Black Panthers, the Sojourner Truth housing projects riot in Detroit, James Meredith, Malcolm, the Puerto Rican sugar farmers revolt.

The 1912 IWW protests in Lawrence Massachusetts, where workers were protesting the $8.76 a week wage. The American Woolen Company and the mayor of Lawrence brought in the local militia, who bayoneted a protestor, John Ramy, to death.

An IWW organizer, Joseph Ettor, said of the killing, "Bayonets cannot weave cloth."

There comes a time when it is necessary to put down your picket sign and pick up a gun. That time is different for everyone. And everyone makes that decision differently. That decision is what this record is about.

• There comes a time when it is necessary to put down your picket sign and pick up a gun. That time is different for everyone. And everyone makes that decision differently. That decision is what this record is about.

I am curious about your own personal perspectives on this question/decision -- where you are at. I imagine some of that is outlined in the booklet with the 7" and on the website?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I am curious about your own personal perspectives on this question/decision -- where you are at.
    as am i

That decision is what this record is about.

I can't speak for Bam, but for me, everything...from the site, to the music, to the organizations we are supporting is our way of picking up the gun. Take time to read the articles on the Proletariat Press page, visit the websites for the Freedom Archives and Iha-Hud and you'll start to see and hear our guns.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    here's the thing. take away the design, the photography. take away the letter press, the handsewn goods. take away the jukebox. and you get right down to it. one of the most insightful and inciteful hubs for information around. now, im not saying the aesthetic is expendable. it is a necessary component to visually guide you through the complex history of the struggle. but it aint about pretty. its about change. fine sirs, this site rocks and the music rocks. and i can not say anything further except to say it has inspired me to take up arms again.

and no dudes, i aint getting no goddamn guns.

film still from "misere au borinage" [1934] a documentary made in collaboration with the coal miner's in borinage, belgium

I am trying to turn my camera into a useful and sharp weapon - a weapon for the liberation struggles of the peoples and for the revolution for real and lasting peace, which is born and won through the victory of the people over imperialism only. - Joris Ivens[/b]

I am curious about your own personal perspectives on this question/decision -- where you are at.
    as am i

Personal.Perspective.

Personally: I am fortunate. I live in a decent apartment in a nice city. I buy the food I like and I take taxis once in a while. Vacation and buy records and try to do the right thing. I'm ugly, but I'm white, so that's pretty much easy street.

Tsega's lived through a lot that sounds traumatic to me.

Perspectively: For myself, I recognize no equality except that which my will to live according to my desires recognizes in the will to live of others. Revolutionary equality will be indivisibly individual and collective.

I think my decision of when to shoot or kill or bomb something or someone will be decided in the moment, should I be confronted, and based simply on ten-thousand things. That said, I am a pacifist. That said, I support several people who've taken arms against their oppressors.

It seems today, that reflections on historic events tend to make thugs out of people pushed to extremes. Thereby making the people, the reflectors, feel like they need to be thuggish to be historic, or "relevant." I am not trying to come off hard. And while I don't speak for Tsega, I don't think he's trying to say he's ready to drop a bomb on someone.

I don't think John Ramy was hard. I think he was standing there because he believed in something, and believed he was being wronged. George Jackson's notion of being lulled into passivity seems pretty relevant today. And dissidence begins within is just making your own personal decision, and saying when you've had enough. Realizing you own perspective, the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance, means being able to evaluate what you are a part of, by default, by choice, by being unaware.

I separate my personal perspective from this record. This record, to me, is an amalgamation (however blurred) of historic struggles. It's not discussing my personal perspective outside of a simple empathy for struggle. There's much that I do to demonstrate what I personally stand for. My perspective. But I haven't killed anyone.

• thanks bam & asprin for breaking down where you are coming from a little. you're always both very forthcoming here and it's appreciated. i think shig's post really gets at what i struggle with the most -- what "weapons" really constitute armed struggle, when is a camera, a picket sign, money a weapon. and how does one draw the line on where actual violence is an acceptable tactic to combat violence? history is filled with very contrary examples on this particular question.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I am a weapon.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    congrats you guys, very proud of you guys and the strength of this community supporting each other.

• On a related note (for NYC heads)

Fri 3 "The Design of Dissent" School of Visual Arts 209 E 23rd St at Third Ave (212-592-2145). Subway: 6 to 23rd St. Lecture 6pm, reception 7???9pm. FREE.

Famed designers Milton Glaser and Mirko Ilic curated this inspired exhibit of the finest examples of illustrated protest. To celebrate the opening tonight, playwright Tony Kushner joins those two for a conversation about the project and the forthcoming book of the same name.

I think dudes are wondering if you're ready to use violence to get your point across?

In the words of our beloved prsident, "...all options are on the table."

Currently, my voice, my work, my music, my actions are my collective weapon.

Everone has a tipping point.

• I think dudes are wondering if you're ready to use violence to get your point across?

In the words of our beloved prsident, "...all options are on the table."

Currently, my voice, my work, my music, my actions are my collective weapon.

Everone has a tipping point. [/b]

I hear that. This motherfucker -

- tips me a little further every day...

That decision is what this record is about.

I can't speak for Bam, but for me, everything...from the site, to the music, to the organizations we are supporting is our way of picking up the gun. Take time to read the articles on the Proletariat Press page, visit the websites for the Freedom Archives and Iha-Hud and you'll start to see and hear our guns.

That seems more like the picket sign than the gun. I think dudes are wondering if you're ready to use violence to get your point across?

How is directly funding organizations that affect positive social change like holding a picket sign? I think the VS is using words and actions to get their point across, rather than just words.

Personally, I think the U.S. is not ripe for armed revolution. (Keep in mind I'm a proponant of both strict gun laws and 2nd amendment rights.) Who would we be rising up against? Our Government? Our elected officials? Corporations? That's a lot to swallow for the minority of citizens who are even aware of the problem, let alone those who wish to do something about it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Hi Tsega! I'm a late bloomer today... your website game is on rambo!

Hi Eric! got your message. I'll be in touch with you about that.

Hi Jeigh! you got another copy?