I just rediscovered Y'all So Stupid!!!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I always think of this stuff as Weave-Belt Rap, 'cause all these guys rocked the woven leather belts, with about a foot or two left over, tucked under, pulled out, and just swangin', like, "Yo, I'm getting mine--just look at all this extra belt, kid." Pharcyde, Heiro, Digable, YSS--all them dudes had belt. PRT: belt. Double XX Posse: belted the fuck up. I think because back then it was all about groups with lots of skinny, hungry dudes. I might have tried to finesse that look a time or two myself back in the day, but I'm broad enough in the beam that I never had that much extra leather to work with, so I just looked like some puffy dickhead in a weave belt, like some fresh mozzarella tied with string. Much like when I used to rock a Purina-check lumberjack that made me look like a couch. My man Tony used to post up at the mall with the black Columbine trench, shorts, and the elephants-and-Os X-Clan walking stick, and I distinctly remember listening to Capital Tax while wearing deck shoes. It was a very confusing time.

Knowledge knowledged.

I spent what would have been my final year of high school attending Georgia State University, an institution that, whatever it may have lacked in terms of classroom learnin', more than made up for it with the opportunities for learning available in its common areas.

This was at the very tail end of the era when walking with a staff was still an official hip-hop look, and I distinctly remember crossing paths on my way to class most days with a dude that rocked sunglasses indoors, a leather crown and a staff almost as tall as him. Thankfully I was not so impressionable that I myself ever experimented with his look.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Having only been the living embodiment of hip-hop in the flesh since the earlier part of this millennium, I must admit I still haven't discovered YSS. Should I just leave this thread until I do?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Having only been the living embodiment of hip-hop in the flesh since the earlier part of this millennium, I must admit I still haven't discovered YSS. Should I just leave this thread until I do?

I think Danno3000 might also lay claim to the title "living embodiment of hip-hop in the flesh since the earlier part of this millennium". Just sayin'.

• At this very moment I???m in the process of revisiting YSS.
    3 tracks in at the moment, I remember this being the albums best track.
    I think things go downhill from here.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I always think of this stuff as Weave-Belt Rap, 'cause all these guys rocked the woven leather belts, with about a foot or two left over, tucked under, pulled out, and just swangin', like, "Yo, I'm getting mine--just look at all this extra belt, kid."

• This was at the very tail end of the era when walking with a staff was still an official hip-hop look

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Rowdy dropped some tight albums i didn't hear the Y'all so Stupid joint though
    i only remember the single which was ok to me.
    It's amazing to me that Rillz can clown on Y'all So Stupid but at the same time feel mr. area codes(luda).

• I lament the days of machettes and ski googles as a fasion accessory.

• Weave-Belt Rap,

• Who has recently rediscovered Trends of Culture?

OFF AND ON!

One of my all-time "eastcoast stomp" tracks! I think they were from Detroit?

pretty sure they were NYC cats...Who Got My Back? featured a cameo from Meth..yea that cut was dope though...

• I lament the days of machettes and ski googles as a fasion accessory.

dont forget chainsaws and basically any sort of gardening tool that could be construed as a weapon

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i still have not discovered YSS and probably never will at this rate. im pretty sure that if i found it at towers during the closing sale, i would have bought it and felt guilty after

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I had Girbaud jeans before anybody else.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I see King & I, Madkap, & Trendz of culture get their dap in this thread, but we lest we forget:

Rumpletilskinz
    Roughouse Survivors
    Groove B Chill
    Hard 2 Obtain
    Broken English Clik
    Raw Fusion

Respect the architects!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Aw yeah, Rekognized Threshold Of Negative Stress!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i still have not discovered YSS and probably never will at this rate. im pretty sure that if i found it at towers during the closing sale, i would have bought it and felt guilty after

It's available for practically the price of shipping.

I love how one dude is asking ~$40 for it because it is RAER OOP, apparently having failed to understand that good, or at least desirable, music is the necessary third element for the equation that produces value.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    badmeaningbad pressing this lp has

• sergserg 682 Posts
    Can I give it a Texas spin?

TX groups at the time that were at least kinda like Y'all So Stupid:

Heads-N-Dreads - Dallas group that provided Erykah Badu her first rap platform

Johnny Quest - a Houston dude

Epatomed - Saahir (RIP) and Kasar from Arlington

Sociopath Left - some Austin ish

K-Otix - Houston folks

Seeds of Soul - more Houston folks

Austin's Sockeye, later to become X-Factor, was more like Mad Flava from Dallas who were more like Cypress Hill than Y'all So Stupid

Then Austin's Flo Mob and Houston's Psyko Ward as well as San Antonio's Makai Crew and Third Dimension were more like Houston's Blac Monks who were were more like Wu Tang Clan than Y'all So Stupid

Then there was Houston's Odd Squad who were indeed kinda like Y'all So Stupid but much better in so many ways

Maybe I should also mention Shabazz 3 from Dallas, but why?

not really relevant but while we're on random dallas groups you wouldn't happen to remember SkwaadX? cause I've been searching for years for one of their tapes. Their live shows was one of my favorites.

• I love how one dude is asking ~$40 for it because it is RAER OOP, apparently having failed to understand that good, or at least desirable, music is the necessary third element for the equation that produces value.

see: Waxidermy

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I always think of this stuff as Weave-Belt Rap, 'cause all these guys rocked the woven leather belts, with about a foot or two left over, tucked under, pulled out, and just swangin', like, "Yo, I'm getting mine--just look at all this extra belt, kid." Pharcyde, Heiro, Digable, YSS--all them dudes had belt. PRT: belt. Double XX Posse: belted the fuck up. I think because back then it was all about groups with lots of skinny, hungry dudes. I might have tried to finesse that look a time or two myself back in the day, but I'm broad enough in the beam that I never had that much extra leather to work with, so I just looked like some puffy dickhead in a weave belt, like some fresh mozzarella tied with string. Much like when I used to rock a Purina-check lumberjack that made me look like a couch. My man Tony used to post up at the mall with the black Columbine trench, shorts, and the elephants-and-Os X-Clan walking stick, and I distinctly remember listening to Capital Tax while wearing deck shoes. It was a very confusing time.

i just want to say that this is the funniest shit i have read in a minute. I scared my kid laughing out loud.

ok, continue.

• but we lest we forget:

Rumpletilskinz: DOPE
    Roughouse Survivors : hated it, had it for one day and it had to go
    Groove B Chill
    Hard 2 Obtain : Dope beats, superb album cover, shit MCing
    Broken English Clik: : Crap, wortst thing on Wild Pitch from that era
    Raw Fusion:OKish

• RerogRerog 569 Posts

K-Otix - Houston folks

Austin's Sockeye, later to become X-Factor, was more like Mad Flava from Dallas who were more like Cypress Hill than Y'all So Stupid

Then Austin's Flo Mob and Houston's Psyko Ward as well as San Antonio's Makai Crew and Third Dimension were more like Houston's Blac Monks who were were more like Wu Tang Clan than Y'all So Stupid

Then there was Houston's Odd Squad who were indeed kinda like Y'all So Stupid but much better in so many ways

not really relevant but while we're on random dallas groups you wouldn't happen to remember SkwaadX? cause I've been searching for years for one of their tapes. Their live shows was one of my favorites.

Skwaad X was legendary in thier time. Massive is still one of my favorite Dallas MC's... As far as I know, Skwaad only released one thing officially and it was a cassette comp of a bunch of songs, around 99 or 2000 I think. Quality was shitty I could try to dig it up and do some ol' school tape dubbing for you (if I can find someone with a working tape deck!)

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

K-Otix - Houston folks

Skwaad X was legendary in thier time. Massive is still one of my favorite Dallas MC's... As far as I know, Skwaad only released one thing officially and it was a cassette comp of a bunch of songs, around 99 or 2000 I think. Quality was shitty I could try to dig it up and do some ol' school tape dubbing for you (if I can find someone with a working tape deck!)
    this would be appreciated.

• I'm still waiting for one of the Yall So Stupid guys to show up here on Soul Strut.

They get mentioned so much that one day theres going to be an apperance, Im sure of it.

• mumble mumble mumble 1995 mumble mumble Yaggfu Front mumble grumble Lisa Stansfield

• Yaggfu Front 

One of the best albums ever!

• I see King & I, Madkap, & Trendz of culture get their dap in this thread, but we lest we forget:

Rumpletilskinz
    Roughouse Survivors
    Groove B Chill
    Hard 2 Obtain
    Broken English Clik
    Raw Fusion

Respect the architects!

• Lisa Stansfield

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haha i totally didnt read this thread til now because i assumed it was the same thread that was started about them the other day, til I noticed faux rillz had started it.