AI Wants To Say Bye-Bye(Hoops Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Would you want him on your team and what would you offer the Sixers.....http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6252024?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Comments

• dude is a dope player...how could you not want him on your team?

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy King is the worst GM ever. I don't blame AI for wanting to get out of town. He has played a dozen seasons with garbage teammates, horrible coaches and a local sports talk station that constantly trashes him. The sixers fucked this up. If AI jets I am boycotting...and i'm one of the few people who actually pays for tickets on occasion. Getting free sixers tickets is about as hard as finding a bootleg copy of the nas album. Lakers are my new team and whatever team AI ends up on.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    dude is a dope player/S> nearly in the twilight of his career...how could you not want him on your team?

I love AI but the Sixers won't trade him because they can't get any real value back for him...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    AI leaves it all out there on the court. Dude can outhustle almost anyone. The sixers have surrounded him with garbage players, and but in the Larry Brown years he and AI manged to get into the playoffs regardless.

You know who needs AI? The Warriors...

• dude is a dope player...how could you not want him on your team?

if you already had somebody scoring over 30 a game, you wouldn't necessarily want him. If you already have a solid pg, you wouldn't want him...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dude is a dope player/S> nearly in the twilight of his career...how could you not want him on your team?

I love AI but the Sixers won't trade him because they can't get any real value back for him...

They've been trying hard to do so for at least six months; now they're going to have to.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy King is the worst GM ever. I don't blame AI for wanting to get out of town. He has played a dozen seasons with garbage teammates, horrible coaches and a local sports talk station that constantly trashes him. The sixers fucked this up. If AI jets I am boycotting...and i'm one of the few people who actually pays for tickets on occasion. Getting free sixers tickets is about as hard as finding a bootleg copy of the nas album. Lakers are my new team and whatever team AI ends up on.

yeah, AI is my favorite player and its gonna kill not to see him in a philly uni, but the man has got to get the fuck out of this town. fuck showing up to team events and such...he gave more effort than anyone else on the court for twelve years and didnt get no support from management. him and larry brown did it with mirrors...now, the mirrors are gone. get the fuck out allen and get the ring you deserve!

as soon as he leaves, we will be in the dark ages (similar to the shawn bradley years) once again.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, AI is my favorite player and its gonna kill not to see him in a philly uni, but the man has got to get the fuck out of this town. fuck showing up to team events and such...he gave more effort than anyone else on the court for twelve years and didnt get no support from management. him and larry brown did it with mirrors...now, the mirrors are gone. get the fuck out allen and get the ring you deserve!

as soon as he leaves, we will be in the dark ages (similar to the shawn bradley years) once again.

yeah i'm ususally of the opinion that players complain too often and that their diva tendencies negatively affect the team... but in this case, i could see how AI could be incredibly frustrated

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I think we'll see a better 76ers team without Iverson, actually. He's an amazing player, but he's also very high-maintenance (in that annoying girlfriend sort of way). He always wants attention AND the ball, preventing other players from growing around him. There's a lot of young talent on that team, but they can only shine so often with Iverson holding court. I definitely would rather him stay and for it work out, but I don't have any allegiance to Iverson, and I get the feeling he doesn't have that much for Philadelphia anymore, either.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    If you're going to get rid of A.I you better get something for him! Remember Charles Barkley? Also having a dominant big man on the siers roster would help AI and the sixers compete. If you are going to get rid of anybody get rid of Webber. Trade him for a pair of sweat socks.... You just can't blame AI...He needs to be surrounded by a better cast...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What team do y'all think he'd be best suited for??

I'd love to see him team up with KG in Minnesota.

Houston??

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    What talent?
    Hunter?
    Dalembert?
    Webber?
    Korver?
    Henderson?
    Ollie?

Philly put themselves in bad positions by trading decent players (Thomas) for bad contracts (Webber), signing players to bad contracts (Ollie and Dalembert) and letting management get nothing in return from the draft--what'd they get for Barkley, Stackhouse and Hughes, to name a few?
    Their drafts, from 1990 to present:

1990--no 1st round pick.
    1991--no 1st round pick.
    1992--Clarence Weatherspoon.
    1993--Shawn Bradley.
    1994--Sharone Wright and B.J. Tyler.
    1995--Stackhouse.
    1996--A.I.
    1997--Keith Van Horn.
    1998--Larry Hughes.
    1999--no 1st round pick. Todd MacCulloch in the 2nd round, though.
    2000--Speedy Claxton.
    2001--Dalembert.
    2002--John Salmons.
    2003--no 1st round pick.
    2004--the other A.I.
    2005--no 1st round pick.
    2006--Rodney Carney.

None of their second round picks panned out in the league. But who have drafted, if they'd held on to them, could make for a pretty decent team.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dude is a dope player...how could you not want him on your team?

if you already had somebody scoring over 30 a game, you wouldn't necessarily want him. If you already have a solid pg, you wouldn't want him...

If you already had a ball hog/gunner, you wouldn't want him. If you already have good team chemistry, you wouldn't want him....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Philly was getting nowhere with AI, so yea they would be better off without him. Although I think it'll be the same story when he lands in another city. But we'll just have to see. By the way, Steven A. approves of AI!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Jim Gray reported he wants to go to Minnesota tonight....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Out of all possible duos, I'd like to see this one too. Minnesota making a run in the West, imagine that!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If AI gets traded it will probably be for a bunch of not so good players since he's demanding a trade. It's very hard for teams to get top dollar in such situations because everyone knows they're trying to get rid of the guy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If AI gets traded it will probably be for a bunch of not so good players since he's demanding a trade. It's very hard for teams to get top dollar in such situations because everyone knows they're trying to get rid of the guy.

Mike James & Randy Foye and maybe a draft pick....at best.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    way to go 76ers...teams are going to low ball you...It's Barkley all over again.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I don't think the Warriors have the right players to offer for A.I .....Same with Chicago

If it were Isaihs call in New York he'd do it ....but he lost his power

Indiana can't happen

Portland should do it ....but there's no chance they will

The Nuggets would have to give up Smith ...but after the show he put on tonight that's not happening

He has to come West ....

Utah ...when hell freezes over

Phoenix doesn't have enough to give ....Amare is untouchable

Seattle has no players

That leaves the Clippers

The Clippers are complete fools if they don't give up Maggette and Livingston ...Clipper fans are in love with Livingston but he's not that good ...A.I is perfect for the Clippers

Imagine Allen taking over Kobe's house ......

A.I in L.A

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

But this is the City of Philadelphia .....Billy King won't be allowed to fuck this up ...believe me.. every single trade offer and possibility will be run in the paper,on the radio and on TV ...and whatever the people of Philly want him to do ...he will do .......even if that means sitting the year out......the popular vote will determine what happens on this one....

• minnesota is going to have a hard time because they're stuck with guys who have relatively long term deals. there's no way philadelphia takes back a freshly re-signed guy like mike james, much less jaric, hudson, or blount. those guys have hideous contracts. ricky davis would be a start because he expires after next year, but foye & davis is only halfway to making the salaries match. i'm sure minny and philadelphia are scrambling right now to get a third team involved.

new york probably can't get iverson, but i'm sure they will if they have the chance. nobody is going to knicks games anymore - they're practically giving tickets away now and the garden is dead anyway. iverson would be an immediate shot in the arm, one that the franchise desperately needs. i just don't see isiah having the latitude to make a blockbuster right now or the players needed to get it done. i mean that ship pretty much sailed as soon as the knicks bought out jalen rose and mo taylor.

boston could probably pull it off but i really don't like the fit. i never understood why they wanted him so much. chicago definitely has the pieces but there's no way they take on his personality. they only take boy scouts. my darkhorse candidate (this is pure speculation) is seattle. they're really unhappy over there and talking about major changes if they don't get to .500 by the end of the month. rashard lewis has an opt-out after this year, so it's possible they want to get some compensation for him in case he walks. although if philly could steal rashard out of this whole process that would have to be considered an incredible deal for them. that would also create a ray allen/allen ivie backcourt, which looks terrible on paper.

but minnesota does seem like the most likely destination .... i bet we end up seeing one of those unweildy, 4-team, 12-player deals go down.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    TORONTO!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think we'll see a better 76ers team without Iverson, actually. He's an amazing player, but he's also very high-maintenance (in that annoying girlfriend sort of way). He always wants attention AND the ball, preventing other players from growing around him. There's a lot of young talent on that team, but they can only shine so often with Iverson holding court.

• I'd love to see him team up with KG in Minnesota.

But Minnesota's Bench is I hope he doesnt make a lateral move.

2006-07 Roster
    NUM PLAYER POS HT WT DOB FROM YRS
    30 Mark Blount C 7-0 250 11/30/1975 Pittsburgh 6
    31 Ricky Davis G 6-7 226 09/23/1979 Iowa 8
    4 Randy Foye G 6-4 213 09/24/1983 Villanova R
    21 Kevin Garnett F 6-11 253 05/19/1976 Farragut Academy HS (IL) 11
    41 Eddie Griffin F 6-10 232 05/30/1982 Seton Hall 4
    23 Trenton Hassell F 6-5 233 03/04/1979 Austin Peay 5
    16 Troy Hudson G 6-1 178 03/13/1976 Southern Illinois 9
    13 Mike James G 6-2 195 06/23/1975 Duquesne 5
    55 Marko Jaric G 6-7 224 10/12/1978 Serbia 4
    35 Mark Madsen C-F 6-9 250 01/28/1976 Stanford 6
    1 Rashad McCants G 6-4 226 09/25/1984 North Carolina 1
    9 Justin Reed F 6-9 238 01/16/1982 Mississippi 2
    5 Craig Smith F 6-7 272 11/10/1983 Boston College R
    6 Bracey Wright G 6-3 201 07/01/1984 Indiana 1

• I'd love to see him team up with KG in Minnesota.

Trust me, I know and loathe Kevin McHale's moves. He has set that franchise back.

Two questions:
    1) Do you think KG and AI would have any sort of chemistry?
    2) If they did, do the Wolves have any role players that could step up?

Trust me, I know and loathe Kevin McHale's moves. He has set that franchise back.

Two questions:
    1) Do you think KG and AI would have any sort of chemistry?
    2) If they did, do the Wolves have any role players that could step up?

Yes they would work well together, But He and Elton Brand & them would bring him close to a ring.

He in Minnesota would just be a good story. So he and Garnett lose together.

The role players in LA are further along.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

boston could probably pull it off but i really don't like the fit. i never understood why they wanted him so much.

The Celtics are so far off the NBA map right now, and
    getting AI would immediately make them into a high profile
    team again. And with Pierce and Iverson, they would have the
    two stars it takes to make some moves in the standings.

I agree he is not the best "fit" for the team, but the upside
    of getting him, both in the publicity/attendance area as
    well as what he brings to the court, is too much to ignore
    if you are Danny Ainge, IMO.

Listening to Boston sports radio yesterday, AI is already a Celtic