Kanye West Appreciation

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My comparison might be completely off, but I guess we will see in a couple of decades. In your opinion Batmon, are there musical geniuses working with hip hop that could one day be compared to Stevie, Marvin, Miles or Duke?

I mean, I can see similarities between Stevie and Duke in regards to their central position in the music scene inside their own time, even though the former did not compose for big bands, and used synthesizers instead.

The "genius" title in Hip Hop has was recently discussed here on SoulStrut.

I'm sorry Jazzsucka but I just cant accept Kanye as a Genius. He's a damn good producer.

To each his own.

• True, I don't think I ever said I though he was a genius either. Just that the comparison is possible because:

1) He makes his own music

2) He writes lyrics to his music (nobody else in mainstream hip hop really has this much creative control, am I correct?)

3) He is known around the world as an entertainer and people from kids to middle-aged folks like his music

I'll leave it at that.

True, I don't think I ever said I though he was a genius either. Just that the comparison is possible because:

2) He writes lyrics to his music (nobody else in mainstream hip hop really has this much creative control, am I correct?)

3) He is known around the world as an entertainer and people from kids to middle-aged folks like his music

I'll leave it at that.

So does Jermaine Dupri.

Here's somebody closer in comparison IMO....

• True, I don't think I ever said I though he was a genius either. Just that the comparison is possible because:

I'll leave it at that.

So does Jermaine Dupri.

Man, I can't stand Jermaine Dupri! I don't think anybody knows who he is outside your country anyway. And Madlib is to Kanye like Weldon Irvine is to Stevie Wonder

Man, I can't stand Jermaine Dupri! I don't think anybody knows who he is outside your country anyway.)

They can continue to sleep 'cause Dupri has twice as many hits as West. I'm no fan but you betta recognize.

• Kanye and Dupri in the wading pool.
    Who's shallower?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Man, I can't stand Jermaine Dupri! I don't think anybody knows who he is outside your country anyway.)

They can continue to sleep 'cause Dupri has twice as many hits as West. I'm no fan but you betta recognize.

http://bfred.blogspot.com/2006/10/yall-know-what-this-is.html

I'll leave it at that.

So does Jermaine Dupri.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...aside from rocket love, that is probally the worst piece of music ever made and i kind of like YNQ and some of Madlib's shit! That shit was straight blasphemy!

What makes it worse for me is that a close friend of mine thought that LP is 1) "DOPE" 2). Used that as his introduction to the music of Stevie. THE OF 's!

• P.S. HEY M*RCUS!

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...aside from rocket love, that is probally the worst piece of music ever made and i kind of like YNQ and some of Madlib's shit! That shit was straight blasphemy!

I disagree.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    i think he's also a dope rapper and probally his biggest talent is knowing what to do with studio musicians and singers.

I think that might have more to do with him being smart enough to bring in people who know what to do with studio musicians and singers. That's not a criticism of him, by the way. In fact, given that he works within a musical idiom so dominated by producers, I think it's remarkable that, for someone who hasn't been in the game for half as long as Dre, for example, he'll give up so much of the responsibility for his "musical vision" over to outside forces. Which leads me to think that his rabid egomania may actually be little more than an act.

• P.S. HEY M*RCUS!

Hey PAt'ick!

By the way, how much do I have to pay you for you to drive over to Rapbay and "convince" those lazy-slob-ass mutherfuckers to send me my mutherfucking records? It's been like over four months. I need that slap man!