Rock the Bells Concert in T.O. - Not a good look

MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I couldn't make it out, but I guess I was lucky. The majority of the emcee's never made it into the country (Redman, Keith Murray, Smif N Wessun, Raekwon), and at $50 CDN a ticket (with no refund) it's not a good look for concert promotion up here. I took this from a thread on hhc from a user (his words). I'm suprised EPMD kept performing;NOW TO THE CONCERT. Wack opening acts, DJ Cool was terrible, Supernatural was actually good and had the crowd buzzing and hype freestyling over "Go", "The Food" & "I'm A Hustla". TIME FOR EPMD RIGHT? So DJ Scratch is setting up while a local DJ (P-Plus) is spinning during intermission, after he's done there's basically no music nothing playing and some host just speaking. The crowd gets restless since for about 30 mins nothing is going on, booing is going on heavy AND THEN...........some people started throwing bottles @ DJ SCRATCH one of them landed on his Microwave & Mac and messed up his shit. He was soaked and his shit was fucked up, DJ Cool tried to calm the crowd down and Scratch even interrupted and was telling dudes to meet him at the side so he can show dudes "How NY does it" when dudes act up. Cats continue to boo and Scratch leaves the stage and this point MORE BOTTLES are thrown on stage at this point Kardinal Offishall comes out like 15 mins later and tells the crowd this is not how Toronto is and should rep properly. These dudes didn't have to come out and still did even though 75% of the acts couldn't get across the border he hypes up the crowd and EPMD comes out. At this point ERICK SERMON tells the crowd they should fuck up dudes that threw shit at their DJ but they will continue with the show and can't let some idiots mess that up. So now DJ Scratch's setup was all messed up so they go the 2 local DJ's (P-Plus & Startin' From Scratch) to get whatever EPMD instrumentals that they had on them which was about 4 tracks so EMPD did 4 tracks and at the end ERICK basically said again whoever did shit to his DJ to meet him and said PEACE.

Comments

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    The ticket price alone was enough for me to look the other way and skip the show. I'd rather watch a $10 show for a local act.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Its only 30 bucks and ghostface is supposed to replace keith murray, at least according to the reader, tonight in chicago. i think i might go.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    One thing tho... This is the T DOT. The only city in the world, where people will put down crazy money and boo the performance. Isn't this what toronto is known for? It comes from years of getting shafted from hip hop concerts. How many shows have not gone off in this city?

Not that it's right or anything.

Throwing a bottle at DJ Scratch is X100000.

He's one of the reason I might have gone.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One thing tho... This is the T DOT. The only city in the world, where people will put down crazy money and boo the performance...

You never been to Philly.

All in all though that just sounds terrible.

• You never been to Philly.

They get

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They get

SAYING... Don't get me started. I got stories for days.

• here are some vids taken from another thread at HipHopCanada
    I have yet to view these myself so I am not sure about their content

Supernatural Freestyle. Rock The Bells (VIDEO)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjXAlsUJ6g

EPMD @ Rock The Bells (VIDEO)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhrlEgWIcU

• Well, part of me is not surprised at all. DOR said it best... this is just a Toronto crowd acting like a Toronto crowd does.How many times have main acts not showed up cuz they couldn't get across the border? Exactly.

Mind you, I don't remember anything like this happening in years. I mean, we (all Toronto people here) remember countless jams that were broken up, or when the headliner gets booed offstage (or worse, the bottles a la DJ Scratch) or whatever incident (who remembers that jam where the riot broke out? I think it was actually Kieth Murray that got mashed up in that. Was it a Monster Jam? Mid-90's for sure. Bad memory...) I'm still kind of surprised that this happened. When they latch on these crazy prices ($50 a ticket?!?! For old man rap? No thanks), you would expect the clientel to be a little more civil... I guess not.

I'm so happy I'm not throwing that kind of cash around to see acts past their prime (sorry, but it's the truth). What's with Toronto having these 'Welcome Back to the 90's' shows lately? And the prices are crazy. I guess they figure everyone are adults with real jobs and can afford the ticket prices. Different strokes I guess.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    One thing tho... This is the T DOT. The only city in the world, where people will put down crazy money and boo the performance...

Still child's play the crowd downhere would have bottled Erick Sermon the moment he opened his mouth.

Well, I was taking into account hundreds of shows over the years, which get cancelled. Cause dudes can't get across the border. Didn't this happen to you? It makes us crazy canadians super pissy when we plunk down our hard earned loonies and superstar entertainers (Hi Superstar C*smo!) are a no show.

And yes, I've been to Philly. Dun make me show you my scars next time ur in town from the last time I was there!!!

PS - DON'T CLICK HERE C*SMO

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I knew about the Philly story they talked about on Monday Night Football where the Philly crowd booed Santa at Veterans, but I didn't know they also pelted him with a barrage of snowballs when he was leaving.

That's a tad rough/

• Jamaica has a huge stage show every December called STING. Two years ago, the crowd bottle Frankie Paul, best known for his hits "Pass the Tushungpeng" and "Worries in the Dance."

Frankie Paul is legally blind.

Mind you, I don't remember anything like this happening in years. I mean, we (all Toronto people here) remember countless jams that were broken up, or when the headliner gets booed offstage (or worse, the bottles a la DJ Scratch) or whatever incident (who remembers that jam where the riot broke out? I think it was actually Kieth Murray that got mashed up in that.

Ha, I remember this... They were chasing Murray down hallways.

I remember people coming back mad as hell for their refunds. Which we couldn't give back until we heard from the promoter.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Well, I was taking into account hundreds of shows over the years, which get cancelled. Cause dudes can't get across the border. Didn't this happen to you? It makes us crazy canadians super pissy when we plunk down our hard earned loonies and superstar entertainers (Hi Superstar C*smo!) are a no show.

And yes, I've been to Philly. Dun make me show you my scars next time ur in town from the last time I was there!!!

PS - DON'T CLICK HERE C*SMO

Yeah, considering the amount of times I've played Canada in the past 2 years, I was surprised when I learned how hard it is to get entry as an artist. And yeah, it was this past January when they booted me out of Ottawa - actually they just never let me in. It really sucks, but really it is all the promoters faults if they don't file the proper paperwork, which is SUPER EASY actually.

And yeah NON, I'm not even getting into SPORTS - that's a whole other story. Like when the entire stadium cheered when they thought Michael Irving had a broken back.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I forgot about that one (Michael Irvin, that's rough too). But how is Philly and Santa's relationship adversarial? It's just funny.

Jamaica has a huge stage show every December called STING. Two years ago, the crowd bottle Frankie Paul, best known for his hits "Pass the Tushungpeng" and "Worries in the Dance."

Up to that point the type of bottles which were usually used weren't plastic water ones but were GLASS BEER & STOUT BOTTLES.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I forgot about that one (Michael Irvin, that's rough too). But how is Philly and Santa's relationship adversarial? It's just funny.

I really don't know the full story behind it. That was during the Rich Kotite years, a dark time for The Birds. But I think that Philly's relationship with Santa is better than it's relationship with Beyonce.

• I forgot about that one (Michael Irvin, that's rough too). But how is Philly and Santa's relationship adversarial? It's just funny.

I really don't know the full story behind it. That was during the Rich Kotite years, a dark time for The Birds. But I think that Philly's relationship with Santa is better than it's relationship with Beyonce.

That shit was great. Wear Lakers gear in the sixers house. Good luck with that B.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Jamaica has a huge stage show every December called STING. Two years ago, the crowd bottle Frankie Paul, best known for his hits "Pass the Tushungpeng" and "Worries in the Dance."

Up to that point the type of bottles which were usually used weren't plastic water ones but were GLASS BEER & STOUT BOTTLES.

I think we have bottling down to a artform here.
    The crowd will usually start waving the bottles in the air side to side as a indication that your set/show needs to come to a close, so they can see the main artist.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Like when I was opening for M.O.P. at The Electric Factory and some kids were heckling me in the front row. I tried to snap on them but my mic wasn't working, so I stepped to the front of the stage, at which point kid threw a fistful of pennies at me, so I jumped down off the stage and proceeded to bang the shit out of son... at which point M.O.P. came on stage and dropped "How About Some Hardcore" and, when they were done their set, the first song I played was "Punks Jump Up To get Beat Down" and the crowd ERUPTED.

Lemme think of some more.

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Like when I was opening for M.O.P. at The Electric Factory and some kids were heckling me in the front row. I tried to snap on them but my mic wasn't working, so I stepped to the front of the stage, at which point kid threw a fistful of pennies at me, so I jumped down off the stage and proceeded to bang the shit out of son... at which point M.O.P. came on stage and dropped "How About Some Hardcore" and, when they were done their set, the first song I played was "Punks Jump Up To get Beat Down" and the crowd ERUPTED.

Was that the show they did with DITC?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Yeah that was it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Keep 'em coming.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Keep 'em coming.

Actually now that I think about it, it wasn't Brand Nubian I played, it was that De La Soul track with Freddie Foxxx "You Don't Wanna Start Some Shit" off the AOI album. Lemme think of more...

• $50 Canadian? Isn't that like $15.46 in real money?

$50 Canadian? Isn't that like $15.46 in real money?

Naw, our $ is now worth something.

50.00 CAD = 43.5659 USD

They get

C'mon, out with 'em.

Yeah that was it.

That show was really bad. Throwing pennies is not a good look for the crowd, but whoever caused all of the delays deserved a kick in the ass. That show took forever to start and everyone left because shit was so ridiculous. MOP came out pretty much on time I think, but I didn't even wait around for DITC.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    $50 Canadian? Isn't that like $15.46 in real money?

read the newspapers... the US dollar is in the shitter worldwide...

great M.O.P./philly story....

• first of all, the promoter's supposed to have the work visas sorted out - it's their responsiblity. Period. If anyone can't get across the border - BLAME THE DUDES IN YOUR BACKYARD WHO TRY TO TAKE YOUR HARD EARNED CASH WHILE DOING THEIR JOB HALF-ASSED.