AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted Vs Death Certificate.

13»

Comments

• Does anyone like Amerikka's more than Public Enemy's albums? Whenever I heard that Bomb Squad production I was like.... I wish it was Chuck & Flavor.

My boy always called that the last good P.E. album, cause the next P.E. album wasnt as hot. Dude blew their loads on AMW.

that was most definitely the general consensus at the time... which is why i'm surprised that so many people these days (well, on SS anyway) rate Fear Of A Black Planet as PE's best album. Most people back then felt that FOABP wasn't even close to fuckin' with Cube's AMW, let alone It Takes A Nation (not that FOABP didn't have a lot of PE's best work, like Terrordome etc.).
    One thing about the production of AMW, btw... it seems I remember either reading or being told that Sir Jinx had a LOT to do with the sound of AMW. From what I heard it was Jinx and Vietnam Saddler who really made that record what it was music-wise. That would explain why the next Cube album (which was totally produced by Jinx, right?) was as good as it was... stylistically a little different but really no drop off in quality

Sir Jinx was seriously slept on.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    damn, 2 pages and no one has mentioned "Summer Vacation"??

DC all the way.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    A personal note regarding Bomb Squad production:

I used to have this set of crappy headphones back that I was used in the late 80s/early 90s. Around the time when AMW came out, they started acting up. A bad connection or something. When I started fondling the cable or the jackplug the sound would go into some phase inverted state where certain elements in the music dissapeared and other elements suddenly stood out solo.

This was mostly noticable with Bomb Squad produced records. All these strange layers that you didn't notice before now became clear as day, i.e. little guitar licks, backwards sounds, noise samples, subtle scratches etc that were masked sonically. It sounded pretty wild, and it was bugging me out. Started listening to all the Bomb Squad stuff with those faulty headphones. Son Of Bazerk, Fear Of A Black Planet, Valley Of The Jeep Beats. The weirdest details were coming out, and it gave me another perspective on how those guys were layering their beats.

i once sampled a beat that had an unfortunate guitar lick on it but the input wire wasn't perfectly "in" and only the beat went through sampled.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    damn, 2 pages and no one has mentioned "Summer Vacation"??

What a fucking great song. When I first got DC, that was my favorite cut. Nowadays, it's probably "Bird in the Hand," but it's really hard to pick a definitive favorite.

RE: Sir Jinx--he and DJ Pooh did most of DC, though I heard a dirty rumor that Jinx was basically jacking Pooh for credit (and SP1200 beat disks!) and Pooh did pretty much all of the work. Not sure how credible that rumor is, though.

Finally, I know it wasn't on either album being discussed, but "Jackin' for Beats" was

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    cot damn, i'm glad ya'll set it off...

but i really have to go with amw. if only for the genius of the bomb squad producing a west coast "gangster" rapper. not to take anything away from death cert, because there is nothing to take away. it is a hard call but i am saying amw.