avant-garde turntablism

2»

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    is this the thread where i complain about christian marclay's inability to rock the house?

dude didn't play "doo doo brown" once. in baltimore!

marclay is a prick.
    tried interviewing him probably 6 or 7 years ago when i was in college for a project.
    wish i could remember the exact quote of what he said to me before i politely wished him the best of luck with his self-important career and hung up the phone on him.

the story is a bit too drawn out to even get into, but essentially the irony here is of an artist who "creates" vis a vis reconstituting bits and pieces of others work (pastiche) who is so paranoid and afraid of others miscontrueing his own words/work/ideas that he self-censors or even better has a hissy-fit. A bit strange, don't you think... aural collage w/ fear of aural misrecognition. i call bullshit.

where's that weak-sauce graemlin when i need it, oh wait, wrong board.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i mean right board!!!!!
    this was a case of cyber-geographical dis-orientation.

• Just whatever you do don't talk to that crazy "Aliens in space" dude who they interviewed in Scratch. One of a couple people that just needed to get cut from that movie.

uhhh...you mean this guy?

No, there's another nutcase space alien dude in the film who I think he's talking about.

ahhh, yeah, as people said Naut Human. Yeah, he's kooky, but they interviewed him because he owns Asphodel and they were the main 'turntablist' label that was putting out stuff besides all the bomb compilations. They put out the first X-men album, Rob Swift, MMM, ISP vs. Klams uv Deth etc. I think they included him under the same clause as Billy Jam (Shigger Fragger Show) and David Paul (Return of the DJ) - label owners/radio hosts that really helped to cultivate that whole scene out there in the Bay (and in general).

I really dug his electronic baton though. that shit was ill.