Career Advice???

13»

Comments

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    As I told the Associate Dean, "I'm gonna take the gamble on myself. I think I'm a great bet."

This line is a stone cold winner.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    I'm a young adult and I work at an air-conditioning company. I have built rapports with coworkers, earned a lot of community college credits and I am about to enter a the California apprenticeship program. It pays better than my rather mindless deskjob. Screw expensive four year colleges. Learn on your own. I know it sounds corny, but knowing that I'm moving forward in life on my own terms feels quite good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm a young adult and I work at an air-conditioning company. I have built rapports with coworkers, earned a lot of community college credits and I am about to enter a the California apprenticeship program. It pays better than my rather mindless deskjob. Screw expensive four year colleges. Learn on your own. I know it sounds corny, but knowing that I'm moving forward in life on my own terms feels quite good.

I feel what you're saying but just to note: not all four year colleges are expensive and while I think it's good for people to explore multiple options in terms of education and career, it's not like a BA is worthless.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey,

I have some SERIOUS decisions to make career-wise. I just wanted to bounce them off of the 'Strut's brain trust. First, I go up for tenure at my current university this upcoming Wednesday (December 6th). As a tenured professor, I am promoted...........

Peace,

Confused Stacks from Kakalak

Damn man. As someone who is really trying to find his place in the working world, I just wanted to say congrats on being in this predicament. You don't get that far without a lot of hard work and dedication. Seriously, good job.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    As I told the Associate Dean, "I'm gonna take the gamble on myself. I think I'm a great bet."

This line is a stone cold winner.

Thanks!!! Belief in God (and your abilities and motivation) give you power. No need to sucuumb to the will of others when these beliefs are strong. Faith and self-efficacy are necessary for success. You must be able to say "No" when you need to, believing that you are worthy and able to achieve better. Insecurity and self-doubt won't get you very far and people will take advantage of you. As Ray Charles said, "I'ma make it do what it do, baby, he he he, yeaaaaah."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak