shadow lateef and qtip on letterman yt and nagl

2»

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    and at the VERY least...these cats were rocking it on Letterman! Dats major league mainstream acceptance...

If DJ Josh weren't there, they wouldn't be on the show, and I'm not speaking on Shadow's "talent"...

Not shure exactly what you mean......but really Letterman has always supported underground artists and especially hip hop music. Q-Tip was on back when his solo LP came out. I bet Blackalecious has been on.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    WHne I go to UTube it says my Java is turned off. Any one know how I fix that??? I even recently downloaded the latest Java update....

You have to go to your browser preferences and turn Java on. Where to do it specifically depends on your browser. In Safari, which I am using, it's preferences->security->web content->enable Java.

And that performance was OK by me. I'm not too crazy about the song, but I'm not really mad at it either. I will agree that Q-Tip's solo career has been patchy. Some killer cuts on his first one though. I've got both those subsequent albums that apparently never came out ("Kamaal The Abstract" and "Live At The Renaissance"), and as an old Q-Tip fan they make me a bit sad. I just can't get into the whole boheme-lover-rapper thing he's doing now. He should leave that stuff to Andr??.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    and at the VERY least...these cats were rocking it on Letterman! Dats major league mainstream acceptance...

If DJ Josh weren't there, they wouldn't be on the show, and I'm not speaking on Shadow's "talent"...

I don't know what you mean, Shadow has never made any TV appearance in America until this new album.

• and at the VERY least...these cats were rocking it on Letterman! Dats major league mainstream acceptance...

Not shure exactly what you mean......but really Letterman has always supported underground artists and especially hip hop music. Q-Tip was on back when his solo LP came out. I bet Blackalecious has been on.

Where are the underground artists again?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Exactly. Q Tip doing Vivrant Thing isn't underground, nor is the pseudo underground status Blackalicious has created. Until hip hop's commercial explosion that took root for real in the late 90s early 00s, the only people having hip hop acts on were Arsenio, and to a much lesser extent Conan. I used to watch Letterman (nothing else on related). He didn't put hip hop on. It's not his demographic audience, plain and simple. The only reason they were on that show is because DJ SHADOW IS WHITE MAKING MUSIC FOR WHITE HIPSTERS WHO WATCH LETTERMAN OCCASIONALLY. There I said it. Have the DJ be Clue or Kay Slay or fucking Premier or something and let's see if they get on the show (I had a hard time thinking of DJs there, dudes nowadays have forgotten the DJ). So anyway, yeah, have fun refuting it because I don't really care one way or the other. I got my opinions, yall got yours.

Peace
    T.N.

Exactly. Q Tip doing Vivrant Thing isn't underground, nor is the pseudo underground status Blackalicious has created. Until hip hop's commercial explosion that took root for real in the late 90s early 00s, the only people having hip hop acts on were Arsenio, and to a much lesser extent Conan. I used to watch Letterman (nothing else on related). He didn't put hip hop on. It's not his demographic audience, plain and simple. The only reason they were on that show is because DJ SHADOW IS WHITE MAKING MUSIC FOR WHITE HIPSTERS WHO WATCH LETTERMAN OCCASIONALLY. There I said it. Have the DJ be Clue or Kay Slay or fucking Premier or something and let's see if they get on the show (I had a hard time thinking of DJs there, dudes nowadays have forgotten the DJ). So anyway, yeah, have fun refuting it because I don't really care one way or the other. I got my opinions, yall got yours.

Peace
    T.N.

I guess underground wasn't really the word I should have used. More like artists that aren't in the public eye as much. I mean really who else has Beverly Martin on 13 years after her hey day. (OH SHE'S WHITE SO IT DOESN'T COUNT!) Just cuz everyone one here knows who "Josh" is doesn't mean the average American does. And your freakin kidding me if you think Letterman hasn't always had Hip Hop acts on. He may not have had KMD on, but neither did any one else. Shure a lot of them were "big" acts, but Johnny Carson NEVER had LL Cool J or Public Enemy on. Letterman was having Hip Hop acts on his show when Conan was still writing for The Simpsons. Accusing Letterman of having racist programming is nuts. Take that shit to Jay Leno.com.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Accusing Letterman of having racist programming is nuts. Take that shit to Jay Leno.com.

Read carefully what I said. I did not say Letterman is racist, I believe him to be far from it. His demographic audience is not a hip hop one.

Accusing Letterman of having racist programming is nuts. Take that shit to Jay Leno.com.

Read carefully what I said. I did not say Letterman is racist, I believe him to be far from it. His demographic audience is not a hip hop one.

That I agree with. I think the demographic of most Late Night TV is stoned/drunk white people!

I just think Letterman has done a lot more than most "white" hosts to expose "white" people to "black" culture. :5pager:

• I just think Letterman has done a lot more than most "white" hosts to expose "white" people to "black" culture.

Wow.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just think Letterman has done a lot more than most "white" hosts to expose "white" people to "black" culture. :5pager:

Never in my life did I ever have to look to Letterman for HipHop artists.NEVER.

More than Ed Sullivan? Dick Cavett? Donahue? Charlie Rose?

• I've known Mr. Josh Davis since he was playing pretty small clubs in San Francisco.To see him on Letterman is like Wow,BIGTIME.I'm personally hyped for the guy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

When "Low End Theory" dropped, Tribe was on Letterman and they did "Check The Rhyme." That was what, 1990? Before the performance, Paul Schaeffer (who is one hip Canadian) went into this whole thing about "These kids in hip-hop are doing really great things with this process called 'sampling' where they use old records to make new records." He then explained to Dave (and the viewing audience) that Tribe sampled the horn line from Average White Band. Tribe was rocking to Dave's band, not a pre-recorded track, so Paul had the original horn players from AWB come and join the band for the performance. It was pretty cool.